Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 01:58 PM

16 posts, read 39,620 times

Advertisements

I need a good (non-judgemental) general family doctor in Huntsville but I am terrified to go since I am overweight and have been to doctors that have been very mean to me before due to my weight. Does anyone know of a good general dr that is accepting new patients (blue cross/blue shield) that would not be judgemental towards overweight people? I would GREALTY prefer a female doctor. Any suggestions on who to see or who to avoid would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks so much!!!

Old 10-13-2009, 02:12 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,586,118 times
DM me off loop and I'll give you the name of my practice. I think they are all very kindhearted

Old 10-13-2009, 03:26 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashvilleishome View Post
I need a good (non-judgemental) general family doctor in Huntsville

I notice you live in 35763 which is southeast Huntsville. There are tons of doctors at the Medical district and also the Crestwood Medical district near Airport Road.

Dr. Jeff Garrard. He's my doctor.

http://www.healthgrades.com/director...D-EC0BB913.cfm

RateMDs.com | Free doctor ratings and reviews

Find A Doctor | Free Doctor Reviews & Ratings | Vitals.com | Rate MDs & Review Doctors

Doctor Ratings & Reviews - Find a Doctor Ratings Reviews Free Listings Physician Directory Book of Doctors

Rate A Doctor & MD's - Physician Reviews & Ratings - Improving Patient Care Online

Doctor Ratings | Doctor Reviews | Find a Good Doctor | MyDocHub

Old 10-13-2009, 03:57 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,424,710 times
As dramamama would put it: AL patient beware.
My "beware-ness" (sic) extends over everything that can be verified on my own, in this instance the dr's license status:
Alabama Board of Medical Examiners (http://www.albme.org/Default.aspx?Page=LicenseeSearch - broken link)

Old 10-13-2009, 05:52 PM

haha Friday13--but if the OP wants to find a warmhearted doctor and group, I've sent the info direct. A good doctor is hard to find...

thanks for sharing!

Old 10-13-2009, 06:19 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
I need a good (non-judgemental) general family doctor in Huntsville but I am terrified to go since I am overweight and have been to doctors that have been very mean to me before due to my weight. Does anyone know of a good general dr that is accepting new patients (blue cross/blue shield) that would not be judgemental towards overweight people? I would GREALTY prefer a female doctor. Any suggestions on who to see or who to avoid would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks so much!!!
When you say "mean to you", what do you mean? If the doctor is telling you "Hey, Nashvilleishome, you are overweight and need to lose x number of pounds," they are not being mean; they are doing their job. Just saying. I credit one of my doctor's "get tough" approach with being the catalyst that started me on the path to a healthy weight. I lost 118 pounds and am now a normal weight, no surgery, thanks to a doctor who wasn't afraid to tell me exactly where I was headed health-wise.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:37 PM

It's all in the way it is presented... and there are a lot of super unhealthy skinny, ultra skinny people out there while the heavier people are actually in better shape. Ask Elle.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:01 PM

16 posts, read 39,620 times
I agree..it's All in the way it is presented! Of course I fully expect to be told that I need to lose weight (I have been overweight my entire life and I am not stupid and KNOW I need to lose weight) but some dr.'s are downright RUDE and extremely judgemental about it..and I am already a very "doctor-phobic" person and quite dreading a trip to the doctor to begin with and would like to make it as painless as possible..if that makes any sense. I know NOTHING at all about dr's in this area at all..so recommendations for or against dr's is always helpful...and I certainly don't want to have to deal with being called a fat a** or rudeness on top of that..which I have dealt with before.

Dramamamma...THANKS for your DM..I'll definitely check them out!!

Old 10-13-2009, 11:51 PM

692 posts, read 1,502,963 times
Quote:
I agree..it's All in the way it is presented! Of course I fully expect to be told that I need to lose weight (I have been overweight my entire life and I am not stupid and KNOW I need to lose weight)
Why do you fully expect to be told you need to lose weight? As you mentioned, you know it. All of us have a bad/harmful habit here and there, and we all know what they are.

I spent most of my life in the normal-under range...and 2 yrs ago thanks to adult mono and 8 months of steroids I gained 80 lbs-30 of which I am still fighting...God help any doctor that would point out how unhealthy that is. I come from a "healthy sized" family and mom won't even get on the scale...her doc has never said a word.

I say to heck with them, you are their customer.

I use Hampton Cove clinic I would believe they are "fat friendly" as you say as the nurse I always talk with is a larger gal(as in she could lose 80+ lbs). They always get me in quickly and they seem knowledgeable.

Good luck!!

Old 10-14-2009, 05:29 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammie2 View Post

I use Hampton Cove clinic
They always get me in quickly
Off topic but we've had exactly the opposite experience. While the doctor there seems pretty good, it seems we're waiting and waiting and waiting even when there are no other patients in the building. Not a medical issue but maybe a process issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area