Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 09:04 PM

266 posts, read 1,161,684 times

Advertisements

OK, check my figures....Madison County site says property taxes are .0575. Does that mean if my house appraises for 100K, I'm gonna have annual property taxes of $5750?! I MUST be off a decimal point....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 09:12 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasstec View Post
OK, check my figures....Madison County site says property taxes are .0575. Does that mean if my house appraises for 100K, I'm gonna have annual property taxes of $5750?! I MUST be off a decimal point....

You're off by a decimal point. Taxes would be $57,500 per year.

Just kidding, $575/year. Pretty cheap.

Looks like they're off by a decimal point???

http://www.co.madison.al.us/services/taxc/

Old 02-22-2010, 06:58 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,262,951 times
I'll give you even better news...

If you are in the county (NOT in Madison city limits or Huntsville city limits) your milleage rate is .00365. It goes up to .00575 and .0058 for Madison City and Huntsville City respectively. Owens Crossroads, Gurley, and New Hope are .00405. It gets even cheaper in Limestone County.

To figure your taxes, take the property amount and multiply it by the applicable rate. So, for instance, a house assessed at $100k in Madison County will pay $365 a year in property taxes...subtract $48 dollars from that if you are homesteading. That same house will be $575 in Madison City, $580 in Huntsville...and so on.

If you do not take your homestead exemption, DOUBLE the tax amount, you will pay taxes based on investment property assessments. Also, if you are purchasing new construction, most of the time the attorneys base the tax proration at closing off the prior year's tax bill, which a lot of times is just vacant land. So, when your first tax bill comes you will not have near enough to cover it in your escrow and often times have to go back to the builder to collect the correct proration. You generally won't have too many issues with this on prebuilds, but this comes up a lot on specs that have been sitting a while. It just depends on the timing of the prior year's assessment versus the current year's assessment, if that makes sense.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:53 AM

142 posts, read 675,139 times
Cheap.

Dare I say too cheap. Especially when you consider the infrastructure needs of our county and cities.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:36 PM

113 posts, read 427,413 times
Much cheaper than what I left in Florida....my taxes on my house, which were frozen at 1994 levels due to the Save Our Homes amendment there, were $485 per year. Here my taxes are $415. But the people who bought my house in Fort Lauderdale are paying based on the selling price....their insurance bill for a house bought at $90,000 was $2250 per year.......HUGE difference....So glad I got out of Florida.....

Old 02-22-2010, 08:24 PM

Oh yeah! I hear so many people complain about their property taxes...uh, mine were over $3500 a year in Florida on a house valued at almost half what my house is here. And insurance....sheesh! I paid 4 times for insurance on both my home and auto in Florida!

I love Florida, but it costs ALOT to live there!

Old 03-06-2017, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,079 times
My property taxes seems to have more than doubled from last year! I live in Owens Crossroads. This has to be a error I hope???

Old 03-07-2017, 07:13 AM

Have you filed your homestead? If you purchased a resale that had a homestead exemption in place, you get the benefit of that for the remainder of that tax year only...you still have to go file your homestead for next tax year. This is the number one reason I hear "my taxes doubled from last year".

Millage rates in Owens Cross Roads (Madison County or HSV city) have not changed since this was originally posted, so its not that. Its a change in your assessed value or a change in your assessment class (Class 2 is investment/not homestead, Class 3 is single family homestead residents). Class 2 is 20%, Class 3 is 10%.

You might also want to check your tax assessment for any significant changes, although I would be shocked if your property value has doubled unless you purchased new construction/land and now you are seeing the full assessment. This should have been explained to you when you purchased/built your home.

If you are still unsure, call Cliff Mann, the tax assessor. He'll help you figure out why your taxes have increased so much.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:13 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,611,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
Have you filed your homestead? If you purchased a resale that had a homestead exemption in place, you get the benefit of that for the remainder of that tax year only...you still have to go file your homestead for next tax year. This is the number one reason I hear "my taxes doubled from last year".

Millage rates in Owens Cross Roads (Madison County or HSV city) have not changed since this was originally posted, so its not that. Its a change in your assessed value or a change in your assessment class (Class 2 is investment/not homestead, Class 3 is single family homestead residents). Class 2 is 20%, Class 3 is 10%.

You might also want to check your tax assessment for any significant changes, although I would be shocked if your property value has doubled unless you purchased new construction/land and now you are seeing the full assessment. This should have been explained to you when you purchased/built your home.

If you are still unsure, call Cliff Mann, the tax assessor. He'll help you figure out why your taxes have increased so much.
I just hung up with Cliff Mann's office. This is just to clarify this post.
You only need to file Homestead Exemption ONCE - unless the property has been re-deeded - refinanced or improvement changes have been made to the property.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:51 PM

2,981 posts, read 1,746,243 times
The millage rate out in unincorporated Madison County is $3.35 per $100 for land and $3.65 per $100 for improvements, so the taxes on a $100,000 house in the County would actually be a little less than $365, not much though.

$20,000 (Land) x 10% assessment level =$2,000 x .0335 = $67
$80,000 (Imp) x 10% assessment level =$8,000 x .0365 = $292

$359-$48 = $311 tax bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area