Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 05:14 PM

79 posts, read 327,325 times

Advertisements

I see there are not many post with questions about moving to the area, I'm hoping some of you here can answer some questions I have.
My husband is being offered a job in Huntsville and some other locations in the northern US. I am leaning towards Huntsville because I HATE cold weather. We currently live in El Paso, TX where the cold is minimal but the summers are crazy dry hot. We really want to live somewhere green with grass and trees. We love to four-wheel for recreation on developed trails with weekend camping.
As for the city itself, I am from a small town in New Mexico and he is from Chicago, but we want to stick to a small town feel, perhaps suburbs. El Paso TX is not considered a big city (just dirty and socially closed minded).
We are looking at renting a three bedroom for no more than $900/month. I need at least a small yard. Parking for an RV would be a dream, but I know we may have to compromise some things.
I have a pre-kinder boy, so decent schools need to be considered (though compared to El Paso's 'survival of the toughest' culture, I will be grateful for kind and socially adjusted school mates!) Really, I want a school that has a no-tolerance policy on bullying and violence, Our boy is pretty smart and we are active in his learning, so test scores are not 'too' much of a concern.

Does this area sound like what we are looking for? If so, what parts of town do I need to start looking (could be as soon as next month) and are there any websites with rental info? I have begun looking at Craigslist, but am unfamiliar with area mentioned and it seems to be mostly apartments.

Oh, how far away is the nearest sandy beach? We have never lived even remotely close to the ocean and are a bit excited at the thought of a daytrip to the ocean occasionally!

Thank you for your time and contribution,
Rose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 05:45 PM

956 posts, read 2,501,490 times
Hi Rose. I think Huntsville sounds perfect for you! Check ValleyMLS.com for rentals. BEWARE of Craigslist. They have major rental scams going on. They "snag" photos of homes from the MLS and take peoples money. It's a local and nationwide issue right now, so tread carefully there. I would also google a few property managers in the area. That should be your best bet!

I have a client that is renting in Toney for $850 per month, huge yard, loads of green space. I think you'll have to get out in the county to find your price, but should find a decent home in that range.

As far as schools are concerned, check GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community for parents ratings. Due to the recent shooting in a Madison Middle school, they have now formed a task group to deal with violence, etc. One would assume all of Madison County will jump on that band wagon? You'll get loads of great opinions here as far as schools are concerned.

The beaches are just 5-6 hours away, depending on how far down you want to go. Many from our area just hit Orange Beach and others head further down the Florida panhandle towards Destin. The sand is like sugar. Gorgeous! Best of luck to you Rose

Old 03-02-2010, 06:12 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times
Rose,

I hope you're not particular on the *real* mexican food because, compare to El Paso, we have nothing but *gringo* mexican food around here. I mean, they don't even serve menudo soup. What is up with that? When it comes to taco, no lengua, no brain, just straight pollo, carne and carnitas. I can't even get a decent salsa around here.

When I was in LA, I look for hole-in-the-wall mexican places where in the kitchen are short mexican ladies making fresh tortilla. Here we get blond hair girls with no habla espanol.

But I agree with Elizabeth_G that Huntsville is a very nice place to live & raise kids, as long as you're okay with the southern draw that will corrupt your english for good. They say "I'd tell you what..." at the beginning of sentence. I mean, that's a complete waste of breath, isn't it? Why don't you just come straight out and skip the first line?

Other than that, some people may complaint that they have nothing to do around here which is "hog wash". I mean, there are plenty of cows around here. I had tons of fun going cow tipping and throwing cow chips in competitions while I was in college. I mean, it's more better to do.

But I think the best thing you & hubby can do is come here for a house-hunting trip. We are not allow to refer realtors but the poster above me is a good one to show you various options around different neighborhoods in the greater Huntsville area. You'll get a much better idea on where you want to live after having seen them yourself.

Congratulation with hubby's new job offer and best wishes on your new relocation.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:13 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilredrose View Post
We are looking at renting a three bedroom for no more than $900/month. I need at least a small yard. Parking for an RV would be a dream, but I know we may have to compromise some things.
You may be in luck. I know there is a gigantic RV parking area on the Redstone Arsenal. I don't know what it costs or who qualifies to use it but if you or your husband can store it there, you wouldn't have to worry about storing at your house and possibly annoying your neighbors.

Be aware that there are some really good schools and some really bad schools in the Huntsville area. Check out GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community to get an idea of what the schools would be like for candidate neighborhoods. Also, be aware there are three school districts in the area Huntsville City, Madison City, and Madison County.

Looks like El Paso is hotter in summer but not quite as cold in winter

Average High

Average Low

But the humidity may make Huntsville more uncomfortable in summer

Old 03-02-2010, 09:37 PM

144 posts, read 433,330 times
We have great springs and falls. This winter is some what not normal (example it snowed today).

For a little bit more you could buy a house. The lending is still pretty good in this area and the home prices have leveled off. Some desperate builders with inventory also. Hunter, Breylan (sp), Adams just to name a couple that seem to have a ton of brand new homes just sitting around.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:13 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Huntsville is a very nice place to live & raise kids, as long as you're okay with the southern draw that will corrupt your english for good. They say "I'd tell you what..." at the beginning of sentence. I mean, that's a complete waste of breath, isn't it? Why don't you just come straight out and skip the first line?
I'll tell you what, I don't feel out of breath at all when I say that.

I'm sure all Americans have corrupted English from a Englishman's point of view.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:32 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
Decatur might be great for you. Not as many homeowner associations. Smaller town, but with plenty of amenities. Many of the schools are very good.
Huntsville agents do not normally steer people to Decatur, so you may need to drive over here yourself for a look-see.
Another possibility is Athens, an old town but growing. Hartselle has excellent schools.
We'd love to have you in North Alabama!

Old 03-03-2010, 06:27 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,804,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Rose,

I hope you're not particular on the *real* mexican food because, compare to El Paso, we have nothing but *gringo* mexican food around here. I mean, they don't even serve menudo soup. What is up with that? When it comes to taco, no lengua, no brain, just straight pollo, carne and carnitas. I can't even get a decent salsa around here.
FYI, La Michoacana serves menudo, they give some other options for tacos. Not sure about brains, I'm pretty adventurous, but not too sure about that. They have a lot of things that aren't on the menu, just ask the ladies that work they, they are very nice. Other than that, sadly the taco trucks are the best Mexican in town IMO. You can't beat 4 traditional tacos for $5!

To the OP: check out the al.com classifieds. Madison may be your best bet. Schools are very good and very good access to everything in the area. Here is a search

Apartments & Condos for Rent Listings - al.com

Last edited by rnc76; 03-03-2010 at 06:50 AM..

Old 03-03-2010, 06:41 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
You can find a house in Arab in your price range actually your price range would be a very nice house. The city schools are rated #3 in the state. You can park your RV in most areas here. Very safe area and most ppl are very friendly. You are 10 minutes to Lake Guntersville. You can get to the gulf in 5-6 hours.

The downside is that it is 25 minutes to Redstone, it is a small town with no mall or movies.

Really just depends on what is important to you.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:22 AM

12 posts, read 35,682 times
Hi....

We live in the Monrovia area and I can't begin to say enough good things about Legacy Elementary School. I have a degree in early childhood education and I am thrilled with the education my kids get there. I have also taught in Madison...good schools there too. We own a 5th wheel. We have used several of the area storage places to park our RV but we prefer the arsenal. Lots of great places within a few hours drive to camp and enjoy the outdoors. We personally do not like the Alabama State Parks very much. (Although we do enjoy Monte Sano) Some of our favorite places around here (and in TN) are: Rock Island State Park (TN), Fall Creek Falls (TN), Corinth (Army Corp) on Smith Lake, and Desoto Falls (AL)...newly renovated. A little further away...beach camping. My VERY FAVORITE PLACE TO CAMP...Topsail Hill in Florida. Best wishes on your potential move to the Tennessee Valley. I think you'll love it here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area