Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2007, 12:33 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,169,529 times

Advertisements

Homestead is a tranquil town that is now experiencing a growth spurt. The population has doubled in the 15 years since Andrew. But immediately after Andrew flattened much of Homestead, thousands fled the city of 26,000.

For some of us that experienced Hurricane Andrew many things has changed and we are a bit better educated on Hurricane issues. Post your views,pictures or how you managed to get ahead after that terrible disaster in Florida history.

Please no debates or personal attacks. Just an avenue to talk about the drive of Floridians to survive and make the best out of the worst hurricane.

Homestead Bounces Back After Andrew Devastation - Hurricane Andrew News Story - WTVJ | Miami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 04:32 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,619,987 times
Great link, thanks for posting it! I'm a tad dense, what's the NASCAR connection?

I do know one good thing that came out of Andrew - the improved building code. When Opal hit the panhandle in 1995, you could tell afterwards which waterfront homes had been built to the newer coastal codes. Of course, the idiots in the legislature exempted the panhandle from the codes in 2000 and Ivan showed what happens when you DON'T build to Miami-Dade coastal code. Oh well.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:02 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,909,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Great link, thanks for posting it! I'm a tad dense, what's the NASCAR connection?

I do know one good thing that came out of Andrew - the improved building code. When Opal hit the panhandle in 1995, you could tell afterwards which waterfront homes had been built to the newer coastal codes. Of course, the idiots in the legislature exempted the panhandle from the codes in 2000 and Ivan showed what happens when you DON'T build to Miami-Dade coastal code. Oh well.
Hurricane Opal Storm Damage Photos
Hurricane Opal 1995

Old 08-28-2007, 10:30 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,619,987 times
Many, if not most, of the waterfront homes you see missing were built prior to 1993 codes. My cousin is an architect and every single home they built to M/D post-Andrew codes - including some still under construction at the time Opal hit - survived with minimal damage (many were just missing roof tiles), while homes next door built to earlier codes were totally washed away. Needless to say, his business boomed afterwards.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:22 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,571,923 times
lived through Hurricane Andrew and I wouldn't wish that experience on my worst enemy. I stayed in Hialeah with an uncle in a second floor apartment which was built in the early 70s. A very bunkered concrete type of building but had window AC units which Andrew ripped from us when the eye was crossing. The devastation afterwards was incredible whereas it went from trees blocking roads in north Dade county to complete annihalition in southern Dade. I remember driving down Sunset (SW 72 street) to my condo in Kendall and passing my street as all indentifiable markers were destroyed.

Yukon the entire state of Florida should have adopted Miami Dade's building codes and yes it is more expensive but the trade off makes sense. Homes that survive should translate into lower homeowner insurance premiums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes