Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 05:57 AM

26 posts, read 97,949 times

Advertisements

Read my blog about some townhouses made of concrete panels. Real Estate Blog - PRECAST CONCRETE HOMES - THE NEW WAVE IN FLORIDA HOME CONSTRUCTION
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 03:28 PM

36 posts, read 108,878 times
Thanks for the info. I found it really informative.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:26 PM

148 posts, read 604,834 times
Default greensteel homes

Here is a link of steel homes---

GreenSteel Homes™

This company is being operated out of Carrabelle, Florida and I think they have 2 communities to be built in the Tallahassee area. They partner with individuals and developers, and are planning to focus on the Gulf Coast.

There may be an interest in building in the Sarasota/Bradenton area. I hope the 'affordability' factor is not something that will keep them out of that area. If so, that would be disgusting.

I really like the idea of the precast concrete homes the best...just wish they would use common sense and build everywhere for real prevention/strength and also not in these gated, extra fee places, plus away from surge areas...would solve so many issues.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:04 PM

711 posts, read 1,856,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Energy wise it cam be bad as the concrete soaks up heat and drives up air conditionong bills.
Concrete should lower your energy bill. Remember that concrete has high thermal mass; it takes a lot of energy to heat up and a long time to cool down. Energy-wise that's exactly what you want in a building material.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:04 PM

156 posts, read 1,063,887 times
tallrick- I am very curious to see pictures!

Old 05-21-2008, 10:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,808 times
Default Monolithic Domes

We are very interested in building a Monolithic Dome. The most Florida noteworthy is on the beach in the panhandle. Our design would be more humble. They are extremely hurricane, tornado and fire resistant and since they don't have a conventional roof you can insure them for much less. They are also very energy efficient. Along with a Florida friendly landscape we feel this would lower our monthly overhead as well as get us in a really safe place. If you are interested, Monolithic has a website with a wealth of info.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:35 PM

28 posts, read 91,684 times
Bet it still floods if we get a storm surge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes