Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 11:55 AM

14 posts, read 70,653 times

Advertisements

I will worry about what the experts predict for 2007 when someone can show me the experts predictions for 2004 saying it would be a horrible year. The experts are adding extra stress on the people of Florida. Does anyone know what the predictions were for the '04 season began?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 12:08 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,164,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsseds View Post
I will worry about what the experts predict for 2007 when someone can show me the experts predictions for 2004 saying it would be a horrible year. The experts are adding extra stress on the people of Florida. Does anyone know what the predictions were for the '04 season began?

Due to the uncertainty of mother natures future hurricane outcome is unknown but do to past (actual data) the outcome can be horrendous. The predictions from the weather experts will have a negative impact on how the insurance machine views their liabilities.

I found the following in Wikipedia, someone predictions for 2007:

The 2007 Atlantic hurricane season officially began on June 1, 2007, and lasted until November 30, 2007. These dates conventionally delimit the period of each year when most tropical cyclones form in the Atlantic basin.

The 2007 season was a very active season that saw 11 storms make landfall. The most notable storms of the season were Hurricanes Andrea, Felix, and Noel as well as Tropical Storm Ingrid. Hurricane Andrea formed early in the year and made landfall in Alabama as a Category 3 hurricane, causing moderate damage. Felix was a Category 5 hurricane that hit Bermuda and later hit Canada as a strong Category 1. The tropical depression that became Ingrid caused great loss of life in Mexico as well as heavy damage. Noel, the strongest storm of the season, rapidly intensified from a 1003 mbar depression to a 900 mbar hurricane in a 36 hour period. It made landfall as a Category 4 hurricane on Florida.

(Note: These are my predictions of 2007 and must not be taken seriously)

Total damage: $89 billon
Total fatalities: 1099 Direct

Old 12-19-2006, 12:31 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,468,049 times
That's good news for the global warming experts. After a 2005 season of 30 hurricanes, a dismal 2006 there was 1 tropical storm. It helps prove there is no such thing as global warming.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:42 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 433,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Yes, we had two back-to-back years of bad storms, (2004 & 2005). We might have bad storms next season, but I'm thankful that we didn't get hit with anything this year, and I'll take any year like that. Meanwhile, we will do what we do every year. Check our supplies, make sure we have everything we need, just be as prepared as possible, as Chisoxfan mentioned. My husband and I have lived in the Florida Panhandle for over 26 years, and have ridden out every storm but one, (Opal, which, as it turned out, did zip in this area. We were more worried about it catching up with us, out on the road, because it was moving so fast). Our supplies, our preparation, and the advice of our local emergency authorities, coupled with our own common sense, will dictate our actions during the next hurricane season, just as it always has. After these many years/storms, I don't worry much about it. I get more aggravated after the fact, (i.e., clean-up, insurance, etc.). There really isn't a reason to get overly worked up over the predictions by the experts. They can only give us "educated" guesses, after all.
What you need to ask yourself is WHAT IF 2007 is a repeat of 2004/2005 hurricane seasons.

Please note, I do not wish this upon the state.... I KNOW the pain a hurricane can cause, we had minor damage and it cost quite a bit to repair.

But people who move down here need to take the hurricanes into consideration!! If you move to OK or Kansas, will you not take in account the POSSIBILITY tornadoes?? Have tornadoes not happened before in Kansas? So, why shouldn't people take FL hurricanes in consideration??? Don't we have years that it is hurricane party time down here and everyone suffers inmensly for it?? NOT Considering hurricanes, a very real threat, seems like wishful thinking/silly mentality to me.

I think that people have very short memories. If you ask someone about securing America's borders today, they don't remember 9/11. If you ask about hurricanes in FL, I bet folks would say... do we have hurricanes in FL??

This is a reminder of a street downtown Orlando.... fun times...

These were actually on sale in 2006.

This is not a joke, in 2004 - 2005, people suffered so much with hurricanes, LOTS of people did not want to take their plywood pannels (which they FOUGHT FOR at Home Depot during 2004 and 2005) down. The counties had to enact ordinances (laws) to force people to take these down after hurricane season was over. People feared more hurricanes, no one could take it anymore....

http://cll.bizjournals.com/story_image/49246-400-0.jpg (broken link)

The roof is just the begining during a hurricane. Even newer homes are succeptible to this. This home is lost, this is it for this home.

These are NOT feeble trees.... but the force of one hurricane can do this in a heartbeat.

No fast food either, huh... dang it!!!

This is just a sample for what a hurricane can do. No doomsday scenario here, THIS HAPPENED IN 2004 AND 2005!

Ask yourself.... WHAT IF??

Last edited by Christian11; 12-19-2006 at 02:52 PM..

Old 12-19-2006, 03:32 PM

Ask yourself.... WHAT IF??[/quote]

We all know that, so thank you for the pictures and move on...

Old 12-19-2006, 03:41 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian11 View Post

Please note, I do not wish this upon the state.... I KNOW the pain a hurricane can cause, we had minor damage and it cost quite a bit to repair.
You may not wish it upon the state, but holy cow, you sure are revelling in it.
Everyone should be prepared, but wallowing in anxiety is not on my list of things to do this winter.

Old 12-19-2006, 03:44 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 433,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
You may not wish it upon the state, but holy cow, you sure are revelling in it.
Everyone should be prepared, but wallowing in anxiety is not on my list of things to do this winter.
Anxiety? Nah... I already got my shopping done back in Sept!!

Hurricane season is over, we were EXTREMELY LUCKY this year, no hurricanes.

I think not even considering the fact that a hurricane could come through is very naive. Like I said before, it would be like moving to Kansas and not considering the POSSIBILITY of a tornado.

Old 12-19-2006, 03:50 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian11 View Post
Anxiety? Nah... I already got my shopping done back in Sept!!

Hurricane season is over, we were EXTREMELY LUCKY this year, no hurricanes.

I think not even considering the fact that a hurricane could come through is very naive. Like I said before, it would be like moving to Kansas and not considering the POSSIBILITY of a tornado.
Of course the possibility of a hurricane--or hurricanes should be noted.
Consider it done.
We were indeed lucky this year, but it just goes to show that the "experts" are not always correct.
Heavy weather can happen during the winter, too.
But I am not going to dwell on it. I am just going to try to be prepared.

Old 12-19-2006, 03:53 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,907,594 times
This is just part of Florida History, Google florida land boom 1920s and read about the history of south Florida. use a site from a university. If its not it has been changed. Storms are part of Florida History just as 911 is to New York. Don't be scared be prepared.
http://www.floridahistory.org/floridians/1920's.htm

Old 12-19-2006, 04:22 PM

Lightbulb Usa Billion-dollar Climate And Weather Disasters

Just a preview that Florida is not the only state that get disasters, for those that need a bit of light to see reality....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes