Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 08:33 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Cruxan - That looks as if it would repel a horde of Vikings.

I was on one of the last planes off St. Croix before the closed the airport for a hurricane that turned. But it didnt hit STX.

Had a near miss with Dean while in Playa

Was on the edge for Rita when in Houston. Roads were packed so I setted in and listened to transformers explode. Scary.

The few people I've known to experience a hurricane dead on said it was "the stupidest thing I ever did". I wasn't here for Ike but most say if its a Cat 3 or higher they are leaving.
I hunkered down for Ike. I thought "Category 2: no big deal". I was fairly certain that we would lose power and have some felled trees in the neighborhood, but that it wouldn't be very significant otherwise.

About 2:00 AM, September 13th 2008 I was wide awake listening to the storm and feeling like I had made an enormous mistake by sticking around. It was really stupid. A category 2 hurricane is still a hurricane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 11:11 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,010,146 times
Quote:
The few people I've known to experience a hurricane dead on said it was "the stupidest thing I ever did".
Exactly. A few of my neighbors stayed for Katrina, (the eyewall passed over our area). They described how the walls of the house moved as if it had come alive and was breathing and then spent two days on the roof of their car until a boat came by to pick them up. Not a one has stayed for so much as a cat 1.

Me, I learned they were no fun for Andrew in 92'. We were in a 100+ year old house in New Orleans, (not really that close to the eyewall). The doors went thack-a-thack-a-thack-a-thack, the windows went chick-chick-chick-chick-chick, things hit the house and went WACK, WACK, WACK, the wind went woooooooooooo with intermittent EEEEEEEEEEEEs. All that noise, in the dark, and nothing but the radio with people calling in talking about their roofs coming off, and if there is anyone out there who can help them please come, and tornados sighted left and right in LaPlace... Well, it was enough to scare me but good.

Since then the worst I've done was Rita while in an untied down travel trailer. Don't try this at home folks, (I had nowhere else to go being post Katrina and all), it made Andrew seem like a cake walk.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:31 PM

53 posts, read 55,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I have never been in a Hurricane before only when I was younger but I do not remember. I would to know what were your experiences. Begin and thanks
I was in Ivan, Jeanne, Francis and Wilma in the early 2000's. I now leave Florida for the summer. That was enough for me. The storm (often) isn't as bad as the aftermath and the nonsense one has to deal with. Mostly it's the people who didn't prepare who make things worse for the rest of us.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:11 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Pepperoni View Post

The storm (often) isn't as bad as the aftermath and the nonsense one has to deal with. Mostly it's the people who didn't prepare who make things worse for the rest of us.
I would agree...and the folks who try and take advantage of a neighbors misfortune.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:23 PM

83 posts, read 216,954 times
Living here for the past decade (a little more actually) I can't attest to the fury of Andrew. My aunt and cousins went through it, they were living in like near south miami heights and she always tells me about what a nightmare it was - whole roof caved in, hunkered down in the bathroom, using a mattress to hold back the door because there was no door. The whole deal. Since I've been here, I've been through numerous storms too - though none as bad as Andrew. I remember in 2000, when i was in middle school, there was this tropical storm leslie or something which dumped A TON of rain - idk if people remember that one cuz it seems like only locals do, but I literally had water up to my stomach and where i lived at the time, in Fontainbleu, that place was underwater. In fact, the canal in front of the birchwoods swallowed up my uncles toyata tercel. It was a piece of sht but he was still pissed. Yeah, that was my first encounter with "tropical systems" lol. I went through floyd in jersey, but that was like every1 else in the northeast - rain and some flooding. this was legit.

As for Hurricanes, I loved the fact that school kept getting canceled or threatened by them. I remember Frances gave us 2 days off cuz dade thought it was going to be a direct hit, and i remember a little gusty winds but not much else. 2005 was a different story. totally. I remember when Katrina came, nobody seemed to care much cuz it wasn't "a hurricane" yet. Well i said it would become one (no one believes kids...) and when it hit it hit HARD. First off, that storm felt like 14 hours or something, for real and it was RELENTLESS RAIN im talking like hours and hours and hours. We lost power like hours before the storm hit, cuz our house sucks, and went to my aunts house. the minute we got there, her power blew out too. My dad blames santeria, idk maybe but either way we waited in the semi dark. If i recall, Katrina really hit us at night and in remember all night long my aunt (the same as the one in andrew) shreiking as coconuts hit the windows (well the shutters), loud bangs, i think a transformer blew up cuz there was a huge burst of light and a loud BOOM, and then there was that constant whoooshing of the wind, kind of like a roar. Oh and at one point, there was this noise of like metal tearing, sorta like what i imagine the titanic sounded like sinking, and then a loud crack, and another crack but they kept traveling along the roof heading down the house and the SMASH a loud noise of metal and glass breaking (we later found out my aunts car (a lexus, ouch) had been flattened by the giant satellite they had on their roof...i wonder if ppl still use satellites anymore, i don't see them around as much). During the eye, my dad drove back home and it was eerie. It was dawn so the sky was,,,like purplish and VERY EXTREMELY QUIET. which is very weird, and unsettling. no birds or anything. Well as we drove home, we discovered the canal near us had overflown and we were now driving through feet of water. well that sucked cuz the car broke down and drowned i guess idk whatever happens to cars when water floods the engines. thankfully it was a shtty 94 saturn aniother piece of crap so not as bad as my aunt, but we had to push the car home - although it was close, man you don't know how heavy cars are until you push them. Anyways we got home and dealt with round 2. next morning: like our fence was obliterated, the roof had some holes, our shed dissappeared , and a couple of trees were knocked over and flattened. we had 4 queen palms in front, one was downed too - not cool. Oh and we had no power for like 5 days - which was sorta ok cuz there was no school for like 3-4 days as well i think. here are some pics:

BEFORE:
Have anybody been in a Hurricane before?-hfjgvcjytliyuhg-004.jpg

AFTER:
Have anybody been in a Hurricane before?-badly-damaged-north-side.jpg
Have anybody been in a Hurricane before?-extent-damage.jpg

As for Wilma:
like katrina expect no rain, again ppl believed it wasn't gonna hit us/not so strong. It hit us, and it was strong. There was more wind this time, only wind and it HOWLED. I think it lasted for about 4 hours too. It was weird because the house shook somewhat but I remember katrina being worse for some reason. I do remember though seeing our neighbors roof give way, again (blew off after katrina) cuz it slammed into our house - not cool. Afterwards we saw that It blew over more trees, poor mango got obliterated again. oh and those 4 queen palms that became 3 during katrina, well make that two courtesy of wilma: its like natures way of keeping a tally. Fence, forget it - that was hacked into even smaller pieces. The outdoor brick bbq we had, ruined, Roof also suffered damage - oh and our wall was flooded - its like, everytime you touched it the wall pushed in like jello and water came out of the electrical socket. telephone cables were everywhere too. At least you have time to clean up after, since there is nothing else to do.

Big thing about wilma though:
NO POWER NO POWER NO POWER for TWO AND A HALF WEEKS.

It really sucked, i mean i had no school for two weeks, so that helped but still it felt like forever. and my ex had it off for 3 weeks so she was even worse. Driving was a mess since every light was down, no food anywhere, no water either, everything was a mess. We were down to one car, and there was no gas for it anyways. I also remember a curfew in place too something about no going out at night. One good thing: a cold front came down so it wasn;t swealtering like katrina. Overall, id say we had a worse time with katrina, but maybe thats because i wasn't used to them. But wilma was the one that hit school the most. That quarter between the days off from Katrina(3-4 days), Rita (2 days) and Wilma (2 weeks) it was almost a month without school. It was bad bro, real bad.

Thats my stories contribution.
Waiting for more most likely...altough this season has been nothing like what they were saying. But Im used to them, now an earthquake.....i don't think i could handle those...
Attached Thumbnails
Have anybody been in a Hurricane before?-upper-north-side-flattened-again.jpg   Have anybody been in a Hurricane before?-enormous-tree-ripped-out.jpg  

Last edited by unkindravens; 08-24-2010 at 02:40 PM..

Old 08-31-2010, 05:51 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
I remember as a child having two bad hurricanes. The wind, the darkness, howling, and crashing......
were the sounds in the air. Huge trees would crack loudly and fall with all their might. Much of it you could not see in the darkness, but hear.
We had no electric for a good week.......Power lines were down everywhere. We walked in wind and rain, and darkness to get a cup of sugar from a distant neighbor. Crazyness, now that I think of it.
Wires all over the place.
Candles were our savior in the darkness, we also had a few gas lanterns as my dad collected them.
Don't think we supplied ourselves well of food items.......
I remember the eye was bright, and light........and we almost celebrated. Then, the darkness came again.
I did fly into Florida after one storm and every tree was down on one street I gazed at. Big, huge, one hundred year old trees......all laying down in the road. We were the first plane in. There was no electric, the area was a mess. But, the sun had come out......and a new day began.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:52 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,241,105 times
Take your pick on any of them in the Gulf Coast region... I've lived in LA, FLA and TX and have seen far more than my fair share.

Still here.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:47 PM

737 posts, read 1,649,199 times

It was just this bad in central Florida as well. Most of the time you couldn't see the more then two homes down even
I live in Polk county and if you didn't hear we got all three storms that year. I was also in a really bad one from when I was a baby. It was a really bad storm that hit central Florida as well.

I don't know a soul that wasn't damaged in the hurricanes that came thu. Who do you call for help no one because everyone was effected that I knew.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlady01 View Post

It was just this bad in central Florida as well. Most of the time you couldn't see the more then two homes down even
I live in Polk county and if you didn't hear we got all three storms that year. I was also in a really bad one from when I was a baby. It was a really bad storm that hit central Florida as well.

I don't know a soul that wasn't damaged in the hurricanes that came thu. Who do you call for help no one because everyone was effected that I knew.

Here is another video I found

All that stuff flying around is like missiles and can kill. My father's barn came apart. Thank God he had steel trucks four of them and surrounded his house which is made of wood by the way. His metal roof coming off his barn and one piece made it thu the trucks and went straight thu the bedroom I use to stay. I mean straight thu the wall into the room Now that is scary.

My father lives in Wauchula Florida and they got the worst of Charley I live on the outskirts of Bartow and Charley went straight thu Bartow edge and let me tell you I saw some really bad weather. In Polk county we received all 3 storm that year back to back. Not even enough time to digest the first one when here comes anther one then add to that one more. It was horrible.

Some of the scene you saw on the coast happened right here even since Charley picked up speed and didn't lose winds for most of Florida. We didn't really get a warning with Charley so didn't have much time to prepare even. Charley made a turn and took off like a bat out of you know where.

Although mitigation and restoration was promised by FEMA to the poor communities of Hardee and DeSoto counties during town meetings, the agency did not pass the cursory planning stages, and the promised reconstruction and compensation never happened. Hardee county that is Wauchula who got a huge bunt of the storm the entire down town was torn to H E double tooth picks and back. Most of the homes in Hardee and Desoto county are old wood homes and or trailers. People were left to rebuild their lives on their own.

But as the Dems would want you to believe they are not good anyways. Plus it saves money huh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Charley

Last edited by Starlady01; 11-17-2010 at 06:22 AM..

Old 11-17-2010, 01:03 PM

You have any idea how hard it is to fix things then have a hurricane come along and destroy things. I've got enough problems without having to fix after a hurricane what had already been fixed to add to it after the hurricanes gotta do it once again because of shoty work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes