Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 10:42 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,442,000 times

Advertisements

If you live in the boundaries of District # 93, essentially most of Bonneville County east and south of Idaho Falls, tomorrow is another decision day. This levy is for a new high school and a new middle school.

Is it enough room for the largest east Idaho District? Is the cost too high or as one would expect?

What about those who home school?
Will you vote?

Here is a list of levy votes, including $92 Million for Bonneville Dist. for an additional high school and additional middle school.

http://m.localnews8.com/news/school-...z/-/index.html

msr

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 03-10-2014 at 11:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 11:01 PM

Default Idaho Leads Project's View

Smart, IMO, using YouTube as much as both sides have. This is from the District: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5l5...e_gdata_player

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 03-10-2014 at 11:12 PM..

Old 03-10-2014, 11:17 PM

Default Pro

Here's a link: D93 Bond 2014

Old 03-10-2014, 11:37 PM

Default Those Voting No

This is the listed website, although I can't get it to work regardless of the changes I've made. : www.votenod93.com.

It may be more useful to use a good search engine and look for "Vote No to D93." It may be useful to add 2014, since so many levies, bonds etc. have been held for all the new elementary schools etc.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 03-10-2014 at 11:46 PM..

Old 03-12-2014, 10:28 AM

432 posts, read 534,261 times
So the vote failed, badly. And if I lived in the district I probably would have voted the same. In my opinion it comes down to, " How much is too much when asking taxpayers to keep footing the bill?). I for one would have to imagine that many feel the same.

It's not like 8b county is growing rapidly in comparison to 06-07. I think local and state leaders need to find a way to fund new schools and repairs without new taxes.

Just my humble opinion...

Old 03-08-2015, 12:23 AM

Lightbulb The 2015 Vote

I don't live in the district so I won't be voting on the new High School etc. this week.

The district has listened to what voters didn't like in 2014 and made changes. What I don't understand is when five elementary schools are built due to the growth, what did voters think would be needed as the kiddies got older? We're they going to drive to Ririe?

Think about this voters....the kids aren't going to get younger or smaller. If this bond doesn't pass I don't see many other options but year round school or split sessions. I've worked with dozens of families who have dealt with both. Trying to get kids from high school,, jr. high and elementary schools, there is NO BREAK and NO SUMMER! This is a Sub-par Way to have family life. There are no vacations except Christmas.

I believe D #93 will have more of a need in a year than today.

Urging responsible residents living in D # 93 to vote yes. Business publications say new businesses looking to expand to an area seriously consider schools for future employee's children as one of there big factors. I believe that was in Forbes.

Please vote for the kids to have a seat in the classroom!

Thanks,

MSR

Old 03-08-2015, 07:57 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,250,708 times
No horse in this particular race, but here are my thoughts...(It's early, thanks to DST, so....)

Voters are getting a little smarter on how school districts work.

If they call it supplemental, you, as a voter, will vote on it every time it expires; there are very few reasons a school district wants an increase that they will not need each year (happening next week in the Pocatello-Chubbuck school district). And after it has been around for a while, voters get used to it, and the school district will then point out that voting YES, will not RAISE your taxes. One reason why a school district will very seldom have a renewal of a supplementary levy along with a new increase request.

I believe last year's proposal included quite a few items that are not on this years bond issue so they dropped it by 40 million. But, you can pretty much make a secure bet that in a year or two, they will be back for the 40 million.

I could really care less, but school districts, across the USA, in any district I have ever lived in, have found the way to get something passed is to:
1. Beat you to death with elections. If it doesn't pass, schedule another election in a few months, and keep going till it passes.

2. Drop the amount, then a year or two later, another issue for the amount dropped from the previous issue. Voters tend to have short memories.

3. If they don't give averages on how much the increase will affect your taxes (i.e., $2.00 per month on a $100K house, etc.) then it is going to be pretty high. If they tell you, it is usually a small amount.

4. In some places (can't say for ID), living areas with a large number of kids pay a set amount per year on school taxes and that amount does not necessarily go up with an increase. This can greatly upset the electorate.

And, even though it is true that businesses look at the schools in the area where they are considering to locate, it is not the deciding factor, there are plenty of factors involved with where a business locates. However, school districts can be very important to young couples with kids, or planning on having kids. And how well the schools are rated, and managed can affect property values of the house you want to sell.

Again, I could care less if it passes or not; just love playing devil's advocate; as most can tell.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:30 AM

And there you go....it fails and now the school district says it will have another election coming in May. These elections ARE NOT FREE; it costs thousands and yet, they are allowed to continue to have elections until they beat the electorate to death on a subject.

I sure hope all the voters continue to vote NO and more appear....

It appears from some research the school board has other options but they don't want the other options cause it will not result in a big beautiful new school.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:28 PM

Default Fastest Growing District in Idaho with 6.6% Growth

District # 93 is the fastest growing in Idaho. The district had 6.6% more students in 2014-15. Six new elementary schools in the last 10 years. Those kids requiring new elementary schools need space to attend classes and find or even have a locker as a high school student.

Here is more info from the Idaho Education News:

Education enrollment: Where it

There is another bond vote in May. Losing by less than 70 votes months ago, I agree putting this to the citizens again. How many didn't vote thinking it was a slam dunk? How many listened to former I.F. City Councilman, Larry Lyon and former local "extreme" conservative talk show host, Halli Stone, who helped lead the group to defeat.

Education isn't free. Yes taxes increase and if budgets can't afford the less than $100 increase per year to most homes in the district, those parents may want to relocate to Ririe, Firth or Blackfoot where growth is stagnant or negative.

I strongly encourage voters to research the facts. Ask others about Mr. Lyon (who now lives in Ucon) and Ms. Stone. Don't take anyone's word for it, including mine.

I will encourage those in the District to vote. Perhaps absentee voting happens, if you won't be around. I
I would also ask voters to think about what type of education are teens getting in schools already over limit?

F5 has raised valid points. It may be that Dist # 93's growth has made it too expensive for some families. There is no shame in admitting that and starting an active home search to a district that isn't growing where some may wish to relocate.

I hope to see this bond pass. I've wanted it since the second and third new elementary schools were built. But the decision is with the voters. Think about this for yourself and the decision you feel is right.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post

There is another bond vote in May. Losing by less than 70 votes months ago, I agree putting this to the citizens again. How many didn't vote thinking it was a slam dunk? How many listened to former I.F. City Councilman, Larry Lyon and former local "extreme" conservative talk show host, Halli Stone, who helped lead the group to defeat.

School districts are like spoiled kids; don't like the results, just keeping crying about it. And to allow a school district to continue to have an election; THAT IS NOT FREE, every time they don't get their own way is ludicrous. As for how many didn't vote, that goes both ways. Possibly many who are against it did not stay home. But it sure is nice knowing tax money goes toward the passing of the vote, but private money is against the vote.

Education isn't free. Yes taxes increase and if budgets can't afford the less than $100 increase per year to most homes in the district, those parents may want to relocate to Ririe, Firth or Blackfoot where growth is stagnant or negative.

Maybe those people who don't want the higher taxes, can't afford to move. Many are low income, many are on fixed income. But then again, most of the liberals don't care; just so long as they get what they want and the heck with the rest of the taxpayers.

And tax increases add up. What is now 100, will be 200 in about five more years, when the district comes back asking for more; then other state taxes will go up. But again, those pushing for the tax increases only give the impression they care. They don't, so long as their agenda is made.
Maybe those who complain about the school districts need to move to a better one. Works both ways!

I strongly encourage voters to research the facts. Ask others about Mr. Lyon (who now lives in Ucon) and Ms. Stone. Don't take anyone's word for it, including mine.

I will encourage those in the District to vote. Perhaps absentee voting happens, if you won't be around. I
I would also ask voters to think about what type of education are teens getting in schools already over limit?

F5 has raised valid points. It may be that Dist # 93's growth has made it too expensive for some families. There is no shame in admitting that and starting an active home search to a district that isn't growing where some may wish to relocate.

F5 didn't imply that those who can't afford it need to move. I'm not even sure what dream you got that from!

Again, can all afford that? Not all may be as well off as you or me. But then again, I have been noted as a selfish retiree who moved to ID to use the resources and not contribute to the welfare of the state. And even though I have no horse in this race, and in fact I voted "Yes" in the Pocatello/Chubbuck school election, I hate the fact that school districts jump for more money before FULLY researching other alternatives. And I really hate the childish behavior of school districts and other taxing government authorities that constantly hound the electorate to get what they want.

And I am generally not against tax increases; so long as they are needed and the money will be used wisely.

I hope to see this bond pass. I've wanted it since the second and third new elementary schools were built. But the decision is with the voters. Think about this for yourself and the decision you feel is right.
I guess we will wait and see. But I would bet a dinner at a great restaurant that if this passes; in five years the school district will be back with their hands open asking for more money for some other program that the school boards has set their greedy eyes upon. Just wait.

And if it does not pass, there will probably be another vote some time after the summer recess. Don't want a school tax increase vote if there is a possibility that the parents and their kids will be out of town during the summer break

I've said all I want to say and it probably peed off a few. GOOD! Especially when they imply I said something I didn't say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls