Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 05:57 PM

210 posts, read 946,975 times

Advertisements

One thing to consider is with the recent expansion of BYU-Idaho in Rexburg, rentals may be harder to find or more expensive than Idaho Falls. They are building rentals like crazy, but mostly student housing so maybe the rental market for houses is not that bad. Maybe someone who lives there could give you a better idea or you could compare rent prices in the local papers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 07:20 PM

72 posts, read 164,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinprism View Post
One thing to consider is with the recent expansion of BYU-Idaho in Rexburg, rentals may be harder to find or more expensive than Idaho Falls. They are building rentals like crazy, but mostly student housing so maybe the rental market for houses is not that bad. Maybe someone who lives there could give you a better idea or you could compare rent prices in the local papers.
Thanks for the insight, it is definitely something we will keep in mind. BTW, in everything I have read it appears that the utilities are much cheaper there than here in FL. Can anyone offer some info on the car insurance prices? We are both safe drivers, no accidents, and no tickets. And also, how difficult is it to get your driver's license switched over? My sister moved from FL to Oregon a couple of years ago and from what I understand you can't just present your DL from another state and get it switched over -- you have to provide your birth certificate, social security card and if you are married, a copy of your marriage license. When I moved to FL, I just presented my old DL and took an eye test.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:33 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiloosMom View Post
Thanks for the insight, it is definitely something we will keep in mind. BTW, in everything I have read it appears that the utilities are much cheaper there than here in FL. Can anyone offer some info on the car insurance prices? We are both safe drivers, no accidents, and no tickets. And also, how difficult is it to get your driver's license switched over? My sister moved from FL to Oregon a couple of years ago and from what I understand you can't just present your DL from another state and get it switched over -- you have to provide your birth certificate, social security card and if you are married, a copy of your marriage license. When I moved to FL, I just presented my old DL and took an eye test.
It shouldn't be a problem if you do it before your license expires from the state you came from. Oregon may also have different laws regarding this because of all the illegals Idaho too for that matter.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:52 PM

634 posts, read 2,348,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiloosMom View Post
And also, how difficult is it to get your driver's license switched over? My sister moved from FL to Oregon a couple of years ago and from what I understand you can't just present your DL from another state and get it switched over -- you have to provide your birth certificate, social security card and if you are married, a copy of your marriage license. When I moved to FL, I just presented my old DL and took an eye test.
FYI, all of our bills (utilities & insurance - car and rental) dropped significantly when we moved to Idaho Falls from MO.

2nd FYI, you will have to take a written (well, OK, it's computerized) test to get your ID DL - not as easy as many states where you swap IDs for a fee. Bring your SS card (or birth certificate) & a utility bill or rental agreement - something that shows proof of residence. We did not need a marriage license, but we brought it just in case...you might want to do the same. Also, your vehicle registration will be due soon after you arrive...but from what I remember of FL fees (we have friends in P'cola), the fees are pretty cheap comparatively - $50/yr for non-personalized plates.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:19 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
Question What Matters the Most to You?

Hi LexiloosMom,

I'd encourage you to make a list of what are the 5-10 most important factors of where you relocate. Then see what specific information you can receive from both Rexburg and the Idaho Falls Chamber of Commerce. That may help some.

As always, I believe you've received excellent tips from those who have posted earlier.

I think along with the college population, the potential lack of rentals in Rexburg, you'll find two other factors. Over-crowded schools, but I may be wrong by the time you move, given voting for additional schools. Also, I believe you may be surprised how many faculty/staff who teach/work at BYU-I live in northern Bonneville County (like Ucon), or in the Rigby area. Many like to get away from Rexburg. Certainly Rexburg has grown, but I still get a feeling of being "cramped" there for lack of better words.

I think it is important to evaluate what programs are important for your children in school. Others who have posted here, and then moved to the area, have continued to agree certain districts have strengths in different areas.

Also, similar to what Cleosmom asked, I'd be checking out the job market now for your husband. Where is eastern ID are there likely to be postal openings, if that is what your husband wants to continue to do? Will you need special deliveries or timeframes for your business? Do you need to be closer to the airport or not?

Just a few other thoughts when considering this move. I think you'll know when you visit.

Good luck with your decision and keep asking questions. That is the best way to information from those who know.

MSR

Old 10-29-2008, 12:35 AM

6 posts, read 42,740 times
Cool My 0.02...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
My hubby grew up in Rexburg lots of gossips... good luck to you and if you are renting not as bad as buying and making a mistake.
Hmmm... I would only say that buying would be "making a big mistake" in Idaho Falls for two reasons...

1. If your credit sucks and you need to repair it to get a decent loan or if there are other hidden financial problems in ones life that need addressed...

or...

2. You're truly scared that you may not like the area and want to try it out for a while before you do something that requires a little more commitment like a purchase.

Fact of the matter is that we're still seeing positive growth in some markets and if you study what the INL plans to do with it's Naval Reactor Facility, AREVA starting next year and going through 2012 and then couple this with the 3 new subdivisions on the west side of Idaho Falls that were just approved...? One might even say you'd be nuts to start renting if you can buy!?

Bottom line, things have slowed down, things may get a little worse before they get better (for the nation) but it WILL come back, we WILL survive and the buyers that bought now WILL be smiling and the renters that could have bought... well, they won't be...

That's my 0.02 on renting vs. buying... There are situations when one should rent but 90% of the time, I'm finding, they shouldn't right now...

Of course, I'm a Realtor so I would say this wouldn't I!

----------------------------------

Now, as for Idaho Falls vs. Rexburg... it's a no-brainer for me because I grew up in Idaho Falls! It's a great place to raise a family and the people are great! There's tons of community activities and plenty of shopping for all. As for the diversity factor, it's probably more diverse in Idaho Falls with regards to race, religion and demographics in general.

But again, I'm an Idaho Falls Realtor so I would say this too wouldn't I!

Hope this helps!

Old 10-29-2008, 10:48 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,563 times
I would pick idaho falls, there are plenty of schools to choose from, plus you can live in any of the smaller communities, ammon, iona, lincoln ririe..etc if you so choose... Living in Rexburg, I know it seems like its close, but the winter storms are much more drastic in rexburg than IF, and living in rexburg, you'll find yourself driving to IF anyway for shopping and entertainment... plus not only is rexburg ridiculously LDS... its also very cliquey...
I remember driving thru there one winter and there was maybe a foot of snow in IF which is totally normal and managable (its idaho) but up in rexburg I swear to god it was over 5 feet on the ground.. in just a short drive...

Old 10-30-2008, 01:01 AM

Wink Currently Five Commercial Airlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace_Rinaldi View Post
We almost moved to IF a few years ago but a job op fell through at the last minute. We were just about to close on a house, but were able to back out. I prefer N. Idaho, but we would have been very happy in IF I think.. Its got everything you need in a city, and the people were very nice.
The only downside if you consider it a downside is no large airport in the area.. I think you have to go to Salt Lake City for that still. Good luck on your move! I know a few people who have moved from Fl. and they are very happy they did.;-)
Trace,

Glad to see Cleosmom helped clarify the Idaho Falls Regional Airport is the largest airport in eastern ID. It is in the second largest in Idaho with the 5 current airlines.

Cleosmom and I also concur that if more people flew out of Idaho Falls Regional, instead of trying to drive from SLC north, flight costs will come down. The airline industry is in flux right now, but what can safely be said still is, the only flights that have been cancelled out of Idaho Falls have been cancelled to add larger planes and fly less times daily.

The numbers from this year will be very off, given that 4 airlines didn't use the airport during the $9 Million runway work during Sept., a peak season for tourists. However, the 5 current airlines continue to be busy and keep their larger planes filled. How much is tourist vs. business, is difficult to know. A lot is business: interstate, intrastate and international.

There are still efforts to get another airline in, but given how many cities had service cut from airlines flying currently, that is far harder to predict now. The last I heard, though, United was still going to try to get the direct flight from Chicago to Idaho Falls. UA flies 3x daily from Denver and they are quite full. I have nothing to do with UA.

Just to be clear and fair: Allegiant, Delta, Horizon, Northwest and United Airlines all fly commercial jets to and from Idaho Falls. Lots of INL traffic which will only increase for all air carriers with Areva's construction.

Spokane is probably closer for you to catch flights. However, if you are ever in Seattle and want the direct flight to Idaho Falls, I believe it is suppose to start in the next two weeks.

I'd say this should go in a different thread about airport access in ID (and maybe that thread should be written); however, I want to leave it here as I do believe it is a factor for any person who depends on deadlines for air carriers, either for people or freight/goods and where they relocate. It certainly is much easier to meet those FedEx, DHL, UPS etc. deadlines living in or closer to Idaho Falls than depending on driving down from Rexburg. Not a factor for all, but certainly a factor for some, especially small businesses.

Also, I have to back what you've said about a lot of people have relocated from FL to the Idaho Falls area. I think I'd sure rather deal with some snow and MILD WIND annunally compared to HURRICANES!

Take care and it was nice to have your thoughts on this thread.

MSR

Old 10-30-2008, 01:11 AM

Lightbulb Good Points Boiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
I would pick idaho falls, there are plenty of schools to choose from, plus you can live in any of the smaller communities, ammon, iona, lincoln ririe..etc if you so choose... Living in Rexburg, I know it seems like its close, but the winter storms are much more drastic in rexburg than IF, and living in rexburg, you'll find yourself driving to IF anyway for shopping and entertainment... plus not only is rexburg ridiculously LDS... its also very cliquey...
I remember driving thru there one winter and there was maybe a foot of snow in IF which is totally normal and managable (its idaho) but up in rexburg I swear to god it was over 5 feet on the ground.. in just a short drive...
Boiseguy,

I agree you summed up a lot of good points here.

Just to be fair, remember there is one Catholic church in Rexburg, as well as some others. However, I do agree with you ....at least in my experience at two different times in my life. There is a lot o "clickiness" and in some ways it seems to me to those connected with BYU-I and those who live in Rexburg for other reasons (closer to West Yellowstone etc.).

When Rexburg was home to Ricks College (pre BYU-I days), I didn't see the same level of clicks. I know some who have relocated to Ucon, Rigby, Idaho Falls as it was too uncomfortable for them.

However, everything is relative. It depends on what one has experienced where they have lived before and what is comfortable for them.

I recommend when visiting the area any potential residents stay at hotels in each city to get a feel for what each is like at 2:00 p.m. and 2:00 a.m., along with the ages of the residents etc.

Thanks for adding your experiences. Hopefully, all this info is helpful to Lexiloos Mom.

MSR

Old 11-01-2008, 08:08 AM

72 posts, read 164,971 times
Thank you all for the information, I really appreciate it. It does sound like Idaho Falls may be a better choice than Rexburg. While reading the forum entries for Idaho I came across a lot of information about the Sandpoint area and this seems like a nice place to relocate to as well. The question I have is that it almost seems in looking at the average temps, etc. that Sandpoint's climate may actually be a little less harsh in the winter than Idaho Falls -- would that be correct? Or is the Idaho Falls area milder than Sandpoint? I was also wondering if one place is more humid than the other? After living in Florida for over 14 years I have had it with the humidity -- I want a more arid climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls