Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 12:17 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,323,347 times

Advertisements

I ask, because I'm actually from the Neighboring state of WA...(haven't lived there in years though)...

In the South East...a city of equal size, would be plagued with all sorts of 'urban issues'...

But in the Pacific Northwest...do to cold weather, ethnic demigraphics, lack of industry, the cities there seem to have a distinct feel of their own...

I'm curious to know how the lower income people make out in Coeur D' Alene, ID?

Did the Aryon Nations from the 80's, scare away most or many potentially new racial minorities?

And also, how do the 'white' impoverished class deal and get by in Coeur D' Alene, ID?

Because a city that size will have a lower economic class, with or without the presence of minorities...not everyones going to earn $60,000 a year...

So is there like a 'white ghetto' class there?

Like a white Ice-Cube and or Dr Dre?...I white Cremshaw Blvd...or tough area within the city limits?

Just curious to know...
Cause most of the focus is usually on NE or SE cities with high black or immigrant populations...but you just don't hear much about those quiet, tucked away Pacific Northwest urban areas...

Please inform...thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 06:56 AM

382 posts, read 1,032,634 times
East Sherman would be the "Ghetto" they have a few homeless shelters on that side of town. But for the most part no. Cda does not have any really bad parts of town it's pretty much live and let live. Yes there are a few yo yo's around. Racist's if you will. Although they generally keep to themselves. And at times you see them harassing local business minority owners. But the cops tend to watch these guys very closely. It's a smaller city so they try and do that. If you look for trouble around here you will find it. AKA make yourself a target. If you want to see a ghetto check out Spokane. They got it all going on over there right next door...

Old 05-16-2011, 11:35 AM

That's interesting...

Spokane, I've cruised before, as a youngster...Coeur D' Alene, ID...never...have driven through on interstate...maybe went there once in downtown area...but was way to young to have known or cared about any social issues or structures...

It's odd, when you grow up in those areas as a 'minority'...you really don't notice or care...

It's when you grow up, move away, and then come back...is when one tends to be more concsious of their status...

Expeccially when you move back East or the SE....

(But in general, I think many places can, at first, appear hostile to anyone, until you make friends, regardless of ones color or identity...
One could move to Iraq, and if you had 5 good friends, the whole city would feel different..)

Use to frequent CDL Lake though, would go up there with my friends grandparents on the weekend, who owned a cabin and boat...we would have a blast every time...

Old 05-16-2011, 12:22 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
Yeah, if you look at a google map, the area south of I-90 where Sherman and 15th cross, and the whole triangle between there and the freeway, it's the poorer part of CDA. But...it's not like driving through Florence and Normandy in South Central LA...it's just the closest thing CDA has to an area you should avoid. More tweakers and thieves compared to several other parts of town.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:59 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Time and Space, this seems out of Left Field.....just looking for opinions?

If you want to get your 'urban issues' fix, read, watch, or online:

KXLY
KHQ (my personal fav)
KREM
The Spokesman
The Press

All were enough to make me feel like North Idaho (and Spokane) had problems like everywhere else.

There are trailer parks in CDA/environs. There is affordable housing, and cheap apartments. There are poor people, and even minorities (that aren't necessarily poor). You'd see people there that didn't meet the predisposed idea of what one would think a North Idahoan should look or be like.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:41 PM

382 posts, read 1,032,634 times
This place is so much different than when I was a kid. But that east end of sherman was always a bad place to be. The bikers would fight at the local bars down there. And their were biker gangs. I see minorities all over town now too. Of every race and color. Most don't care. The few that do are just a-holes that get what they deserve in the end. The locals won't stand for it. And most of us are packing heat. I carry my 45acp every where I go. And as long as you don't have a criminal record you can get a permit easy enough here. No worries...

Old 05-16-2011, 07:49 PM

291 posts, read 669,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
Yeah, if you look at a google map, the area south of I-90 where Sherman and 15th cross, and the whole triangle between there and the freeway, it's the poorer part of CDA. But...it's not like driving through Florence and Normandy in South Central LA...it's just the closest thing CDA has to an area you should avoid. More tweakers and thieves compared to several other parts of town.
Sage, I've got to say the "Florence and Normandie" reference was pure poetry. From somone who has been both places, nowhere in CDA is like anywhere in LA

Old 05-16-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Time and Space, this seems out of Left Field.....just looking for opinions?

If you want to get your 'urban issues' fix, read, watch, or online:

KXLY
KHQ (my personal fav)
KREM
The Spokesman
The Press

All were enough to make me feel like North Idaho (and Spokane) had problems like everywhere else.

There are trailer parks in CDA/environs. There is affordable housing, and cheap apartments. There are poor people, and even minorities (that aren't necessarily poor). You'd see people there that didn't meet the predisposed idea of what one would think a North Idahoan should look or be like.
No, it's just wierd...after you've lived in the SE for a while, your just use to there always being a 'hood' or 'ghetto'...in a city that large...

Or a generationally impoverished area of the city....

Again, I haven't been out that way in a while..

I just remember, as a minority kid growing up out there...whenever you spotted another minority, it was a 'big deal'...

I can remember walking with my sister or another friend, and almost jumping up and down with excitement if we happen to see another minority person in the area...

It was like 'wow man, check them out, I wonder where there from'...(so innocently nieve back then)...

And out there, I remember people, or the youth, still faught with their fists...like in the movie 'The Outsiders'...

Ye sure, you might get beat up by someone, at a dance or at school, but the next day, more than likely you'd be friends...

And I also think areas like that don't attract 'sloths'...meaning people without a purpose or job...

Ye sure a hobo or two or three might drift into town...but it's not like a generational thing...

I remember up there you had the 'rockers' the 'stoners', the 'skaters'...head banger types...they were the tough scary ones...

But again...it's been so long, maybe the demigraphics have changed since I left...

I hung out in Spokane a few times, but never Couer D' Alene, ID...

I was in the national news once...when me and a friend attended a 'peace' rally...
We were in school, and his mother invited us to go up there...we had no idea what it was about...just the idea of missing school for a day was enough to say 'yes' and go...

Little did I know, or him, that his mother was taking us to a rally to protest or counter demonstrate a skin head rally...

And at the time, skin heads were a new phenomina...and not all were the 'racist' types...back then many of them were anarcist or other such derivatives...

Anyways...there was a bunch of them in a park, on the basketball court...I just thought they were colorfully dressed punk rockers ect ect...

Me and my friend got bored at the political rally...sounded like the adults on Charlie Brown...gwa gwa gwa ect ect...

We wanted to locate a video arcade...so we walked over to the other youth, and asked them...

'Hey guys, do you know where a video arcade is??'

And the skinheads...I kid you not, answered or responded in the most polite, extra proper english way, that you could imagine...

They were like
'Yes lad, if you walk down this street 3 blocks, make a right ect ect'...

Then the next thing you know here come all the reporters...cameras in the face and everything...maybe even Herolda Rivera was there, I don't know...

And they're like asking us what we thought of 'racist' ect ect...all these political questions...

I guess they thought me and my friend walked over there to start a confrontation...

At the time, none of it made sense to me, until a few years later...then I started putting 2 and 2 together...as well as all my classmates saying they saw me on the news...

It was a funny moment, but I have to look back to realize that...
Those skinheads were totally nice to us, even though we should of been the target of their rage...

But in all honesty, looking back, they were young like us, and I doubt half of them knew what they were doing there either...

Anyways...didn't mean to go on so long...

Old 05-17-2011, 05:52 PM

820 posts, read 1,738,864 times
I would love to read and answer your posts but honestly your double spacing and half sentences make my head hurt.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaner View Post
I would love to read and answer your posts but honestly your double spacing and half sentences make my head hurt.

Oh come on...I'm harmless...I'm a NW baby...I was bred and raised in that area....
And I kind of miss it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho