Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2020, 06:24 PM

7,382 posts, read 12,673,025 times

Advertisements

I think the "Greater Idaho" map is one thing, and the two counties in question is another. No way on earth is the "Greater Idaho" dream going to happen! But the two counties joining ID, now that could be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 11:20 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I think the "Greater Idaho" map is one thing, and the two counties in question is another. No way on earth is the "Greater Idaho" dream going to happen! But the two counties joining ID, now that could be done.
I doubt there's any way possible that Congress would ever allow a boundary change, even if it was only a 2-county change. It would set a precedent that has many very dangerous consequences.

And really, the rationale behind all this is pretty weak and shaky. It depends entirely on people's political attitudes, but those attitudes can change at any time and have changed quite often.

The fact remains it's much easier to just self-sort. I know a person who moved here because he thought Idaho was conservative enough to suit him, and when he found it wasn't, he moved on to Wyoming in only a year or so.
Making a change like Greater Idaho would make that disappointment a lot harder to pack up and leave it behind, and it would drag in a lot of contented folks in those areas who don't want to live in Idaho and never have.

In either instance, this is nothing but a huge headache for us Idahoans that has no reason to be.

Old 03-03-2020, 10:16 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,901,395 times
https://www.builderonline.com/money/...-home-prices_c

Quote:
Boise Is No. 1 For Rising Home Prices
The state of Idaho is also in the lead for highest rising prices in the country.

According to the Idaho Statesman, Boise is currently the national leader for rising home prices.

Tech companies and their employees have started to settle in the area because of the reasonably low home prices and access to outdoor activities.
https://therealdeal.com/2020/02/22/t...uxury-markets/

Quote:
These small US cities have exploding luxury markets
Boise, Idaho and other small cities topped Coldwell Banker’s list of cities to watch

The top markets to watch are Boise, Idaho; Charlotte, North Carolina; Colorado Springs, Colorado; Cincinnati, Ohio; and Fort Worth, Texas.

https://www.fool.com/millionacres/re...vestment-2020/

Quote:
The Top 10 Hottest Demand Markets for Rental Investment in 2020

Booming Boise Leads the Pack for Renter Demand

Old 03-11-2020, 09:28 AM

https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/po...6-4ba114c6f45a

https://interactives.ap.org/election...ate=2020-03-10

The Idaho Primary results are in and as expected the state tilted more Blue than it has in years.
The total votes for all Republican candidates is 117,635 and the total votes for all Democratic candidates is 107,814.

Trump received 111,136 votes, and Biden and Sanders combined received 98,494 votes. Warren and Bloomberg received more votes than Weld and Walsh.

In Ada County, Biden and Sanders each received more votes than Trump. I'm still looking for the Boise city precincts results, but based on past elections the results will be a Democratic majority (Clinton won Boise in the last general election). A local Political Scientist confirms that Boise continues to become bluer.

https://democratherald.com/news/nati...b4faed290.html

Old 03-11-2020, 12:36 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,761,220 times
That would be because Boise in particular has become "Little Kalifornia" at this point. Otherwise I don't meet people in other areas of the state where they'd agree with that mindset.

Old 03-11-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
That would be because Boise in particular has become "Little Kalifornia" at this point. Otherwise I don't meet people in other areas of the state where they'd agree with that mindset.
oh dcisive, you are just silly as usual. "Little Kalifornia". Sounds like a term old geezers use.

Anyways, look at the link I posted with the election map. There appears to be people scattered all over Idaho who obviously agree with Biden and Sanders.

Boise is a great city, people here are kind, accepting, compassionate, charitable, and tend to look out for each other.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 03-11-2020 at 03:08 PM..

Old 03-11-2020, 02:30 PM

Since Trump's support is so enormous in the GOP, I'm pretty sure more Repubs than Dems decided to skip voting in the Presidential primary. He's the forgone winner.

Wait until the general primary next month. That one will decide the candidates for both parties for all the other seats that are being contested. I'm positive the GOP turnout will be much higher, as will the Dem turnout, but not by much more than it was yesterday.

The Democrats have all kinds of motivation this year to vote every time they have an opportunity.

But the GOP will only show up when their decisions are really going to count. To me, that means the general primary and the general election.

This election season is not typical in almost everything. Covid-19 is the first pandemic of this century, and it's going to hit us all in ways we can't see coming. I think it's quite possible that, by November, we will all be using mail-in ballots for the first time.

Old 03-11-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Since Trump's support is so enormous in the GOP, I'm pretty sure more Repubs than Dems decided to skip voting in the Presidential primary. He's the forgone winner.

Wait until the general primary next month. That one will decide the candidates for both parties for all the other seats that are being contested. I'm positive the GOP turnout will be much higher, as will the Dem turnout, but not by much more than it was yesterday.

The Democrats have all kinds of motivation this year to vote every time they have an opportunity.

But the GOP will only show up when their decisions are really going to count. To me, that means the general primary and the general election.

This election season is not typical in almost everything. Covid-19 is the first pandemic of this century, and it's going to hit us all in ways we can't see coming. I think it's quite possible that, by November, we will all be using mail-in ballots for the first time.
Thankfully, Idaho has received $$ from the CDC for this.

CDC awards $4.5 million to Idaho to fight coronavirus

https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/lo...6-b1d5e1a08b8a

Old 03-11-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Thankfully, Idaho has received $$ from the CDC for this.

CDC awards $4.5 million to Idaho to fight coronavirus

https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/lo...6-b1d5e1a08b8a
That will go a long way here for sure. I'm just happy Congress cut loose enough money to do something against the disease.

One thing I know is COVID-19 is going to be around for a while. I was a pre-vaccine polio kid, and I clearly remember what it was like here when polio came around. It always came in the summers, but not every summer, and not ever with the same strength.

But whenever it hit, fear for the children always set in and cast a deep cloud over all typical summer activities, but especially swimming. Polio, for some reason I was too young to know, struck swimming pools. And for another mysterious reason, Idaho was always fertile ground for the disease.

There were always a few kids in school who had to wear braces, or had a paralyzed arm, or limped. We all knew what had caused their infirmity. The ones who were hit the hardest disappeared- they went to their homes, where an iron lung took up the living room.

My next door neighbor to my grandparents, a boy 10 years old than I, was a victim. He was completely paralyzed for a week, and then it just went away, and left him with no after-effects. That was how it was sometimes.

And sometimes, I never knew what became paralyzed. A high school buddy informed me one of his lungs had been paralyzed since age 4 from polio when we were both adults.

I was one of the very first test mass innoculations for the first Saulk vaccine in 1952. I was in the second grade, and all the kids in my class were innoculated at the local high school gym that fall.

While the vaccine sure did save most of us, it wasn't 100% safe at that point; 2 of my schoolmates caught polio from the vaccine, but both cases were not severe enough to cause paralysis, but both were out of school for the rest of the year. The second vaccine that came 2 years later was much safer.

One of the most interesting incidentals from polio and its demise as a plague was The March of Dimes.

That organization was created to fight polio, and did play a major part in the vaccine funding. Back then, the March of Dimes got the same attention breast cancer gets today; it was impossible to ignore all the drives, ads, and everything.
Then, once a vaccine was found, much to everyone's surprise, the March of Dimes didn't close up shop after declaring victory.

It turned to some other disease that already had a similar organization instead. It lost respectability, but it lingered on for decades after it's purpose had been fulfilled.

Old 04-30-2020, 11:01 AM

7,382 posts, read 12,673,025 times
I was looking for an article I just read on KREM's website, but now I can't find it. Anyway, it announced that Idaho will be opening up in three phases, coming to an end in late June I believe, and it made me very happy. The 2nd phase puts an end to the 14-day quarantine of out-of-state visitors. Let's hope everything can stay on track. Here in SoCal the stay-at-home rule has been extended indefinitely....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho