Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 05:26 AM

2 posts, read 9,951 times

Advertisements

My husband and I may be moving from ogden Utah to Twin Falls. We drove up this past weekend and I was NOT impressed. The land is ugly to me and the town lacks charm. I am even more distressed to hear about the religious bias, which hasn't really been a problem the 2 years I've been in Ogden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 08:46 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,901,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah mama View Post
My husband and I may be moving from ogden Utah to Twin Falls. We drove up this past weekend and I was NOT impressed. The land is ugly to me and the town lacks charm. I am even more distressed to hear about the religious bias, which hasn't really been a problem the 2 years I've been in Ogden.
Well, considering Ogden is often referred to as the armpit/urban blight area of Utah you would be moving up in the world relocating to Twin Falls which doesn't have that reputation in Idaho. Downtown Twin Falls has just as much or more charm compared to downtown Ogden. Most of Ogden is urban sprawl in the bland Utah sort of way. Twin has some sprawl but not as much since it is a smaller city not connected to a larger metropolitan area.

What do you mean by religious bias? Ogden is in the heart of Mormon country, a huge Temple right in downtown, are you concerned about leaving that behind?

Twin Falls isn't at the base of mountains as Ogden is, but the desert areas that stretch for miles west of Ogden are pretty similar to what is around Twin Falls.

[MOD CUT]

Last edited by Sage of Sagle; 09-22-2015 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: OT

Old 09-08-2015, 10:43 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Meh. It appears that Utah mama just showed up to slam Twin Falls. Who knows why she did, but I suspect she simply doesn't want to move, but must, for reasons unknown.

Personally, although my family has some very old friends who live in Ogden, I've never found the city to be especially attractive either. I agree with Syringaloid when he says its now more bland sprawl of the same blandness that is pervasive from Ogden to Salt Lake. The place never had much charm even back in the day, when Ogden still had a character of its own, and now, whatever character it had is long gone.

Twin, at least to me, is attractive in a typical Idaho fashion. The city has never attempted to become a glamor girl, but it has done pretty well at keeping it what it always was and will always be- a farm town a little rough around the edges, but still a decent place to put down roots. It's neither going to pot nor attempting to become anything different.

If I was forced to make a choice between the two cities, even though Ogden has more amenities close by in Salt Lake, and there are fewer unpaved streets out on the edges of town, the congestion and the speed of everything is too much to bear for me. I would pick Twin any day. The Interstate remains a decent distance away and always will, and the folks still have time to talk to each other.

Last edited by banjomike; 09-08-2015 at 11:04 AM..

Old 09-08-2015, 02:31 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,840,763 times
When a thread is titled "The Good, The Bad, the Ugly of Twin Falls" people are not required to be complimentary about a town. It's a frank discussion and people, including visitors, are allowed their opinions.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:21 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Meh. It appears that Utah mama just showed up to slam Twin Falls. Who knows why she did, but I suspect she simply doesn't want to move, but must, for reasons unknown
Yes, this appears to be true.

Twin Falls, Ogden, Twin Falls, Ogden???

Twin Falls is a pretty nice little city, it is well kept, bustling, a ton of Asian restaurants, and is just as nice as Coeur d'Alene but without the resort hotels. Once a person gets off of the Interstate they will be glamoured by scenic farm lands, a huge yogurt factory, beautiful desert canyons, the mighty Snake River, the South Hills, and of course a few hours up Highway 75 puts a person in one of the most beautiful areas on Earth.

Here are a few aerials of the Snake River Canyon near Twin:

link: http://cdn.history.com/sites/2/2013/...-canyon-P.jpeg

link: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...961950ebba.jpg

Last edited by TohobitPeak; 09-08-2015 at 06:42 PM..

Old 09-08-2015, 06:40 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,703 times
VIDEO: Evel Knievel's Famous Snake River Canyon Jump from Aerial America: Idaho | Smithsonian Channel

Old 09-22-2015, 10:18 AM

2 posts, read 9,951 times
Gee, Banjomike, it seems I hit a nerve. Sorry if I offended you, but the thread is "the good, the bad, and the ugly". I read back over the comments, (look at number 1) and there are some that are way more negative than the one I made. I lived in Memphis for 59 years and moved to Ogden two years ago. I immediately fell in love with the town and the area. My sneak preview of Twin Falls, other than the canyon, which I had seen before, was not impressive. I have grown to love the mountains; there are none in Twin Falls. Fifteen minutes from my home I can ski, kayak, tube, fish, hike, etc. I didn't see that happening in your town. In thirty minutes, should I want it, I have the culture of SLC. Your response to my comment did nothing to change my first impression of your town. Some folks like the plains; I don't think I would.

Last edited by Utah mama; 09-22-2015 at 10:34 AM..

Old 09-22-2015, 11:19 AM

742 posts, read 1,129,382 times
I'm not a fan of Twin Falls at all, and I've spent a lot of time there, so I know the area well. Mostly it is because of the wind, but also the dreadful planning and layout of the town. The area has so much potential, and it is just wasted. Downtown TF is really quite a gem, but it is underutilized and too removed from everything else. All of the action is concentrated along Blue Lakes, Poleline, and the Canyon, but it is just typical sprawled out commercial development that requires a car. Pretty much all of TF requires a car, and that's sad. The farmland outside of town is becoming developed into crummy little acre lot spreads (Windmill Heights), so it's a community that is completely based on having a car.

The Canyon is awesome, and such an attraction, and TF has done a good job balancing development and preservation (especially in the Jerome County side). The South Hills, which are only 15 minutes away, are also quite spectacular. There's still lots of skiing to be had, ATV riding, fishing, hiking, golfing, culture (Sun Valley), Craters of the Moon, etc., within an hour or so. The kayaking is far and away better than in Ogden (which, really, there is none unless you count the Ogden Narrows - LOL).

Hopefully TF figures out a new way to grow, but I just think they're destined to become a facsimile of Nampa in how it grows up, rather than a Boise, Sandpoint, CdA, or even Idaho Falls.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:37 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah mama View Post
Gee, Banjomike, it seems I hit a nerve. Sorry if I offended you, but the thread is "the good, the bad, and the ugly". I read back over the comments, (look at number 1) and there are some that are way more negative than the one I made. I lived in Memphis for 59 years and moved to Ogden two years ago. I immediately fell in love with the town and the area. My sneak preview of Twin Falls, other than the canyon, which I had seen before, was not impressive. I have grown to love the mountains; there are none in Twin Falls. Fifteen minutes from my home I can ski, kayak, tube, fish, hike, etc. I didn't see that happening in your town. In thirty minutes, should I want it, I have the culture of SLC. Your response to my comment did nothing to change my first impression of your town. Some folks like the plains; I don't think I would.
No problem, Mama… everyone has their own thing. I don't live in Twin, but I like it all right. My hometown is Idaho Falls.
It's interesting, though, that all that stuff you like to do is there in Twin, but it's all reversed; down, not up. The canyon offers it all except for skiing, and Sun Valley is only about a 45 minute drive away.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:43 PM

65 posts, read 153,766 times
Another "that faith bashing thread" All I can say is maybe if we are not getting along, and everyone else seems to be wrong, then it is time to take a look in the mirror. These places were mostly settled and built by people of "that faith" ,and they are in the middle of the desert for a reason (maybe you should research why). but they are clean, and safe, and a bunch of other good qualities. People have a right to protect what they have built, and worked hard for, and they do not have to change their culture for every newcomer that wants them to change. You people make it sound like these people of faith are horrible monsters, and it is simply not true, in fact it is gross slander, and you should be ashamed of yourselves for doing it.
As far as the job situation goes, these all started out as farming towns, again in the desert, and kind of in the middle of nowhere. There are some tech jobs, but mostly if you are unskilled, you are going to be stuck with a low paying job no matter where you live.
Blaming your job situation on the people? Again look on the mirror.
And for what it is worth, I hope it works out for you, whatever you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho