Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 09:46 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coginthewheel View Post
I guess what I am saying is, do you like the taste of moose? Is it a meat you would seek out to stock the freezer with as opposed to other game meat.
I like moose meat, but I like elk best. Elk stew in winter is heaven. Dont know what tastes like chicken but bear is kind of like pork, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 05:48 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
I like moose meat, but I like elk best. Elk stew in winter is heaven. Dont know what tastes like chicken but bear is kind of like pork, in my opinion.
Yup. A fat dry elk cow is always most excellent.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:44 PM

235 posts, read 375,613 times
I realize I'm going off topic, but we just got the bill for our quarter beef, $700 to the farm (which is just shy of $200 more than last year), and I have no idea for the processor, which we will pay and pick up when we get back from Idaho. But shee-ooooot! That's a load of dough. The meat is exellent and we do get to drive by their farm so we can see the happy cows out in the field, but dang!, I think I need to create "meat" category in our monthly budget.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:31 PM

70 posts, read 81,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yup. A fat dry elk cow is always most excellent.
I know I am a total unknown to hunting culture, but what are the locals ever in the mood to swap meat? We raise sheep.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:53 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coginthewheel View Post
I know I am a total unknown to hunting culture, but what are the locals ever in the mood to swap meat? We raise sheep.
We used to too. Suffolks and Southdowns. I miss the lamb but not lambing, etc.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:40 AM

70 posts, read 81,999 times
Years ago, I had mule deer grilled and it was the some of the best meat with no gamey taste. Around then, the guys I knew that hunted would go to extra care to hang the meat, so I'm told. The question is, how is game meat hung for the best taste?
I've heard it has to turn green on the outside of the carcass. Is that true?
Is there a local Idaho custom for game meat?

Old 06-01-2015, 02:50 PM

7,380 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Here's something I've been thinking about for years, actually: I love moose (in our woods, yes, but also on my plate), and deer, and elk. But we're not hunters. Sometimes we can buy elk and deer meat in the freezer at local markets, but I have yet to find the exact right way to approach neighbors and friends who hunt and ask them if we can somehow persuade them to share their bounty with us, like, for money? We don't want anybody to feel obliged, or be astounded at our bad manners. Is there a tried-and-true etiquette for non-hunters to ask to buy game from hunting friends and neighbors? Before we put our foot in our mouth this fall... (And no, we don't want to go the independent route of hoping for roadkill...)

Old 06-01-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Here's something I've been thinking about for years, actually: I love moose (in our woods, yes, but also on my plate), and deer, and elk. But we're not hunters. Sometimes we can buy elk and deer meat in the freezer at local markets, but I have yet to find the exact right way to approach neighbors and friends who hunt and ask them if we can somehow persuade them to share their bounty with us, like, for money? We don't want anybody to feel obliged, or be astounded at our bad manners. Is there a tried-and-true etiquette for non-hunters to ask to buy game from hunting friends and neighbors? Before we put our foot in our mouth this fall... (And no, we don't want to go the independent route of hoping for roadkill...)
Just buy a pack of good steaks and go ask if they would like to swap some meat. Everyone gets tired of what's in the freezer eventually. Sometimes its sooner than later.

Or cook the steaks first after you invite them over. If they learn you would like to have some game, odds are reciprocation will be in short order.

Don't pass up a fish dinner either. A steelhead dinner was some of the best wild critter I ever ate. Totally better than a wild-caught ocean salmon. Cooked rare, it was more like a steak than a fish.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:40 AM

414 posts, read 1,095,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
What if the animal is fatally wounded and suffering, and you put it out of its misery? Is that even allowed?
No, according to the IDFG rules about roadkill, if an animal is injured, but not killed from an automobile collision, the public is not allowed to dispatch it. Instead, you are asked to report the injured wildlife to "your nearest Conservation Officer, Sheriff's Office, or IDFG Regional Office" and they will send an officer out to evaluate the situation and the best way to proceed.

The following is not legal advice. I have read local reports of police officers putting wounded wildlife out of their misery after a collision with a vehicle, and I suspect that is the likely end of any report that would be made. The stress of long-term captivity and convalescence would seem to be torment in and of itself, and could leave the animal vulnerable when released (used to human care, unable to defend itself). It's unlikely that the animal would be put into any sort of rehabilitation, when ending its suffering now is likely the most humane course of action.

If the animal is well enough to noticeably survive the few minutes after impact, it's probably well enough to run off and fend for itself as well as it would if wounded by a natural predator. If, however, you're in the middle of nowhere, and it's unlikely that an officer can respond in a reasonable amount of time (or is out of reach in many areas of Idaho), the animal is clearly suffering and dying, wouldn't the most humane action be to end the suffering, regardless of the IDFG rule? Once again, not offering legal advice, just musing and hoping that I would never be put in the position of having to make the choice between following the letter of the law and allowing an animal to suffer unnecessarily.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:50 AM

My parents hit a deer out in the middle of nowhere while driving a monster Buick station wagon and pulling a horse trailer. The deer's front legs were both broken along with most of its ribs on one side, but it was still alive, though unconscious.

It was a glancing blow that dented the prow of the hood and broke the grill, but everything was fine; neither the people nor the horses were hurt.

My father realized the deer was alive, so he stood on its throat and broke its neck with his hands.

While I don't recommend doing this, or even getting close to any live critter after its been hit, this only shows there are ways of dispatching wildlife in a merciful fashion other than using a gun. Any injured wild animal is dangerous as hell. Don't ever do anything stupid if you hit any critter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho