Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 12:04 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,348,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiasucks View Post
That's fairly reasonable. Would you say it would be $40 for a 2 year old car? Or is that just for an older car?

How do I get proof of residency if I don't have an Idaho ID? I won't get my first electric bill for 1 month or so.
A rent receipt will do it. You don't need an Idaho ID, but you will have to get an Idaho driver's license after 90 days. (I think- haven't kept up on the laws.) You can also drive with your current plates for 90 days as well. Just go down to the courthouse and ask questions.

Plates are not pro-rated here, but there are different costs for different vehicles. A typical set of plates is around $40; I think I paid $38 last year for my stickers. You will get stickers next year for your plates, but there's a recent law that requires the plates to be turned in every few years. Before the law, a lot of us, including me, had ancient plates with a thick layer of yearly stickers on them. The state doesn't want the plates to become so battered as mine were any more.

It's good. They don't make the license plates that were so heavy duty they could take heavy use like they used to. My year old plates are noticeably thinner and cheaper than my last ancient set. I got them back in 2003.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 09:29 AM

742 posts, read 1,128,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiasucks View Post
That's fairly reasonable. Would you say it would be $40 for a 2 year old car? Or is that just for an older car?

How do I get proof of residency if I don't have an Idaho ID? I won't get my first electric bill for 1 month or so.
It depends on your vehicle and county. I pay almost $80 for my truck in Ada County.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:57 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
They will charge full price. It should be around $40.00. You will need to take some proof of residence to get them.
My friends split time between Idaho and California... they are semi-retired and still California residents.

They have an older 4wd truck with a winch and NRA and Ducks Unlimited stickers they keep in Sun Valley with California plates... no one has ever said anything to them... it's been several years...

Old 06-23-2015, 06:10 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Nitti View Post
Thank you all so much for your kind words and advice! We are in no way planning on bringing California to Idaho. We want to keep all that in California and have a fresh start in a new place We are very friendly people. My husband is in law enforcement and I am a teacher. We are excited to find a better place to raise our family where there are morals and respect

You sure don't sound very friendly. You HATE CA, not just dislike it. Than you paint the whole state as place where people have no morals or respect.

I have always found people to pretty well mannered in CA compared to many other places.

It's within your right not to like a place, and I understand looking for a lower COL place, but your comments are over the top.

You will move to ID and find fault and issues and unfriendly people, but I think that would be the case regardless of where you go.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:42 PM

199 posts, read 315,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You sure don't sound very friendly. You HATE CA, not just dislike it. Than you paint the whole state as place where people have no morals or respect.

I have always found people to pretty well mannered in CA compared to many other places.

It's within your right not to like a place, and I understand looking for a lower COL place, but your comments are over the top.

You will move to ID and find fault and issues and unfriendly people, but I think that would be the case regardless of where you go.

Yep, california does suck.....nickle and dime you for everything, high taxes, crowded, lots and lot of illegals, roads are in bad shape, gun laws are too restrictive (you are not even allowed to own blow gun, IT'S A TOY, in some counties it is not legal to own a slingshot, again IT'S A TOY), I could go on and on....

I pay property taxes, includes money for fire dpt but Ca. sees us in the mountains as an extra source of cash by charging us homeowners an additional $115 a year for California Department of Forestry and if you have any out buildings there is an additional fee for each one of those, this started 3 years ago.

So yeah, some of us do hate Ca., we hate what Ca. has turned into. It used to be a really nice place a long time ago, it has absolutely nothing to do with being friendly or unfriendly......

The smart ones are getting out of California while the gettin is good...!!!!

Old 06-24-2015, 01:15 AM

102 posts, read 118,058 times
When I first moved to Seattle, everyone here was blaming Californians for the housing bubble, but then it burst and it became obvious that it was a nationwide bubble and actually led to a financial crisis felt round the world.... caused by speculating in the housing market... But people were still blaming Californians. haha.

Californians can't possibly be the root of all economic evils, can they?

Old 06-24-2015, 08:20 AM

227 posts, read 382,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia M View Post
When I first moved to Seattle, everyone here was blaming Californians for the housing bubble, but then it burst and it became obvious that it was a nationwide bubble and actually led to a financial crisis felt round the world.... caused by speculating in the housing market... But people were still blaming Californians. haha.

Californians can't possibly be the root of all economic evils, can they?
Think of it more as a tree root system rather than a carrot. CA would be one of the main roots (of many kinds of evils) but not the only one.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:19 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,348,584 times
I just read in this morning's paper that more Californians than folks from other states are moving here, and it's not just to the panhandle- Twin Falls saw more of them moving there than any other city last year. Idaho Falls received 800 of them over the past 3 years.
Washington and Oregon are the next largest states who have folks from them moving to Idaho. By age, these newcomers are younger than those from California.

Meanwhile, Utah is getting our kids the most of any state. More 18-25 year olds left here and settled there than any other state.

but on the whole, more folks have moved in than moved out for 3 years in a row.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:44 AM

742 posts, read 1,128,635 times
You're exactly right, Banjo.

We drove through and walked our dogs around the Boise State campus yesterday (school is out), and we saw about 25-30 cars in different lots or driving around campus, and 20 of them had Californian plates. We turned it into a game, renaming Boise State "California State Boise," but the honest reality is we're seeing more and more and more California (and Washington) plates here. I think the next few years Idaho is really going to see an explosion of people coming in. Remember, it wasn't that long ago that Arizona, Colorado, Oregon and Washington were sleepy little states.... look at them now.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:47 AM

91 posts, read 165,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

I think that's a bit unfair judgement on your part.

I "HATE" California as well (see my screename for confirmation), but that doesn't mean I'm going to bring my negative attitude to ID. When I was there for a few days, I could already feel my stress levels dropping and was more relaxed. I got along with everyone I spoke to and it seemed as if everyone liked me. The minute I pulled onto the 91 freeway (on my way home from Bose), I immediately noticed my blood pressure rising as the traffic and a$$holes on the road started piling up.

I realize being in a city for only 2-3 days does not give you a good indication of what that city/people are about, but I did not notice the same "bad attitude" from people in Boise that I do from people in So Cal. I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule, but overall it just seemed like everyone was chill and laid back. Nobody in a rush. None of the "I'm better than you" or "It's all about me" attitude.

Granted, there are good people in California and good things....but it has gotten so bad, the bad outweighs the good. So it's kind of hard to focus on the "good" when you're living in a toilet.

Some of us just want to move to ID, forget we ever came from California and blend in with the rest of the locals.

I already met a girl online and have a date set up for when I get out there in a few weeks. So much for "can't find attractive, normal, single women in Boise" b.s.

It is what you make of it, and those that are running from Commiefornia aren't going through hell and back, upsetting their daily life by planning a move, dealing with the stress that comes with that move and spending thousands of dollars to relocate, just to deal with it all over again. Those that are moving, are most likely going to make a huge effort to fit in and be a productive citizen. I know I am.

I'm so mentally "checked out" of California, it's not even funny. Have been for at least the past 5 years of my life.

I travel for business a lot, and what got me questioning California was meeting and hanging out with people from other states. It was painfully obvious that the differences between California (and the people) vs. any random state was massive. That's what got me questioning whether CA is right for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho