Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 03:07 PM

8,488 posts, read 6,891,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I forsee more to arrive. Out of curiosity, I just checked the California forum, and there are a lot of folks who want to leave everywhere in California right now, even in towns that surprised me. San Francisco was a surprise. Only the folks in San Diego seem to be pretty happy where they are.
Yup. I'm staying.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:35 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I wonder what other states are drawing Californian's attention. Idaho can't be the only one.
Tons are moving to the Seattle area, but WA was Californicated years ago so they're just increasing traffic and driving up the cost of housing, not socially/politically changing the area anymore - that job is done.

I understand there are quite a few people form WA moving to ID now, probably mostly people who don't want to live in San Francisco North.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:25 AM

43 posts, read 53,516 times
Oh my.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:18 AM

181 posts, read 435,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Tons are moving to the Seattle area, but WA was Californicated years ago so they're just increasing traffic and driving up the cost of housing, not socially/politically changing the area anymore - that job is done.

I understand there are quite a few people form WA moving to ID now, probably mostly people who don't want to live in San Francisco North.

Bingo, Idaho is becoming a bulwark against the encroachment of the left. The refugees who are comming here are not those heading to Portland and Seattle. God is calling his flock together, strong men and women who don't want to be forced to their knees to worship a Godless or worse nation are comming here.

I think that those comming here are a net positive to Idaho, it's been made clear who will and won't be happy here. The American Redoubt starts here.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:06 AM

271 posts, read 390,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTIME View Post
Bingo, Idaho is becoming a bulwark against the encroachment of the left. The refugees who are comming here are not those heading to Portland and Seattle. God is calling his flock together, strong men and women who don't want to be forced to their knees to worship a Godless or worse nation are comming here.

I think that those comming here are a net positive to Idaho, it's been made clear who will and won't be happy here. The American Redoubt starts here.
Not everyone agrees with this perspective, but I sure do!

Old 07-22-2015, 08:27 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
Quote:

God already called his flock way back in 1847 to settle what became SLC, Utah. Idaho has missed out.

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_Day_(Utah)
It commemorates the entry of Brigham Young and the first group of Mormon pioneers into the Salt Lake Valley on July 24, 1847,[4] where the Latter-day Saints settled after being forced from Nauvoo, Illinois,[5] and other locations in the eastern United States.[6] Parades, fireworks, rodeos, and other festivities help commemorate the event. Similar to July 4, most governmental offices[1] and many businesses are closed on Pioneer Day.[7]

Old 07-22-2015, 08:53 AM

742 posts, read 1,129,178 times
Quote:

This....

is....

just....

not....

very accurate. I'm so sorry to disappoint you, DEADTIME. But if this is what you regard Idaho to be, well....

Old 07-22-2015, 10:18 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,540 times
Quote:

Oh dear. The American Redoubt concept. This long time Idahoan see's things differently.

I don't like it when people think of Idaho in such extremes. It hasn't gone to good places in the past. Got us a reputation of backwards, racist, skinhead neo-Nazi's. Got people fleeced by Bo Gritz "Almost Heaven" and "The Citadel" (too name a few).

Idaho is beautiful and full of lots of wonderful places to live. People should come to Idaho for whatever reason they please, but don't make it out to be a vast bastion of "God's people" standing up for all that is right and good. Most of us aren't hoarding guns and watching for black choppers. We're regular folks doing our best to get along.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:50 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Oh dear. The American Redoubt concept. This long time Idahoan see's things differently.

I don't like it when people think of Idaho in such extremes. It hasn't gone to good places in the past. Got us a reputation of backwards, racist, skinhead neo-Nazi's. Got people fleeced by Bo Gritz "Almost Heaven" and "The Citadel" (too name a few).

Idaho is beautiful and full of lots of wonderful places to live. People should come to Idaho for whatever reason they please, but don't make it out to be a vast bastion of "God's people" standing up for all that is right and good. Most of us aren't hoarding guns and watching for black choppers. We're regular folks doing our best to get along.
I can't rep you again for a while, but what you say is the truth.

The whole Western reboubt notion is screwy anyway. As a survivalist/prepper/end times place to live the rest of one's life, when the big catastrophe comes, whatever it is, the Idaho panhandle is more a trap than anything, in a cold climate zone, with limited easy access in and out, in an area that is high, with poor glacial soil that makes living off the land much more difficult.

Southern Idaho isn't a lot better. That's the very reason why Idaho was the last state in the intermountain west to be thoroughly settled, and why our population is still lower than Utah, Oregon, Washington, and Northern California. It's the same reason why Montana and Wyoming's populations are lower than ours, and Alaska's lower still.

When life is boiled down to it's essentials, the more people who are around, not fewer, make all the difference in staying alive. That's why we are a social species. Biologically, we don't do well as individuals, and we have our big brains so that the group will survive, not one individual or another.

There are hundred of other wild places in more temperate zones, with many natural roads and passes, much closer to more distant humanity, than anywhere in Idaho.

John Welsey, Rawls got it all wrong. He should have been looking at the mid-west much more closely than out here in the intermountain west. If I was to be a prepper, I would be looking at Arkansas or Missouri first. Both have plenty of wilderness, and both are a lot easier to live a life of survival in than anywhere here.

It's such a shame that so many people took what he had to say on his word alone, with no individual discernment or the use of sound judgement. Rawl's greatest failure was his inability to see that, no matter how a group of people may agree in the social aspects of life, if the geography is difficult to survive in, everyone starves together at the same rate, even if all are of like minds.

That's exactly what happened to many of the old groups of migrants who moved out here from the East in the 19th century. More than 3/4 of those who began the move west quit and turned around as soon as they could. Those who didn't died by the score along the way, as it all gets harder and harder until the last coastal mountain range is finally crossed.

Socially, a group who moves from the desire to self-segrate foremost tends to be the first to fall apart. The Mormons learned this lesson very early, as they were driven out of New York, and then steadily westward. The early church always tended to fall apart much easier than it stayed together, due to the human way of fighting among our closest associates first. This made the Mormons a fractious presence of newcomers wherever they went until Brigham Young finally moved them all so far west few had the resources to leave and go back.

During their last great migration to Utah, Brigham Young had already come to understand that the only way for the religion to survive was diversity, from within and without. Despite Mormon lore, Young was no dummy when he selected the Salt Lake Valley. It's the natural junction spot for the entire intermountain west that does not follow rivers. The Salt Lake valley looked like a desert, but so did the Los Angeles valley. Neither was a beauty spot, but both had all the essentials aplenty.

As almost all were farmers, Young also knew good soil when he saw it, and understood that water does not need to be close by- it just needs to be present. The Wasatch mountains, all huge snow catchers, were just outside of town and all the stored water was uphill. Digging a ditch is easier and much more sure way of getting water than digging a well. Prehistoric Americans figured that one out long before the first Europeans ever showed up on the continents of the new world.

We modern Americans, especially those who have never needed to live off the land, don't know what our ancestors took for granted. And in reverse, we all take most of our lives for granted, as we now have so much more than they ever did.

As a big group of preppers, the Mormons got here the soonest and took the best spot of all. Maybe if Rawls had been a farmer, and had ridden out here on a horse and afoot, he would have understood what it takes much better than he does.

Last edited by banjomike; 07-22-2015 at 11:17 AM..

Old 07-22-2015, 11:13 AM

448 posts, read 813,289 times
Unfortunately, it's not like to change any time soon. I've read several articles over the past couple of years, like this one, discussing the increased polarization between the US states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho