Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 12:32 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS35a View Post
Here's a little tip for you and anyone else from California:

In Idaho when someone signals they are going to change lines you DO NOT SPEED UP TO CUT THEM OFF.

Got it?

Good.
I thought that was a Southern California thing but they do it here in Northern California, too.

Once in Idaho, keep in mind what Heinlein said: "An armed society is a polite society"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 02:07 PM

7,380 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Yep, somebody cut me off when I tried to change lanes yesterday on the I-8 freeway in SoCal.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:55 PM

27 posts, read 75,251 times
Congrats Don!!

Old 03-21-2016, 09:44 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS35a View Post
Here's a little tip for you and anyone else from California:

In Idaho when someone signals they are going to change lines you DO NOT SPEED UP TO CUT THEM OFF.

Got it?

Good.
LOL

Where do those people come from that stand over my shoulder or walk in front of me, when I am at the fruit and vegetable section or meat section? Talk about not knowing their own space and trying to take mine, rude as hell! I don't understand rude shoppers!

Old 03-21-2016, 11:14 AM

88 posts, read 213,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I thought that was a Southern California thing but they do it here in Northern California, too.

Once in Idaho, keep in mind what Heinlein said: "An armed society is a polite society"

CONGRATS DON!!

As to the behavior above. In the years of long commutes and dealing with ego-filled drivers I switched my tactics. When someone was doddling just behind and in the left lane, going the same speed and I needed to merge. Instead of turning on my signal to have them drop back and allow me over, I knew it would trigger them to speed up and pass, therefore allowing me space to merge like I wanted to in the first place.
Numb is the word for dealing with BS rude drivers, be numb...or as the great Bruce Lee said; be like water.
Life is too short for road rage...been there, done that. Now I"m pleasantly surprised when someone waves me over.

that said;
I will say this is a disturbing trend as this picks up. I just had someone in the new fancy SUV (with ID plates) speed up in a parking lot because they saw me pull up to the lane intersection so they could secure the right of way. My first thought was: "Californian". Blah. you can never go home.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:56 PM

199 posts, read 316,061 times
Thanks everyone........!!!!

The truck is loaded and will be on the road tomorrow morning, just have to hook up the car hauler trailer, put my Jeep on it, load the cats into the Jeep and hit the road. Hopefully we will not get any snow tonight or tomorrow AM, forecast says less than an inch of snow for tonight, Hope they are wrong.

No Kalifornia attitude from us and I'm also a polite driver, after 20+ years of living up here in the mountains I've slowed down and just go with the flow, but back when I lived in Southern Ca. many years ago it was either kill or be killed when comes to trying to navigate the freeways down there.

You learn things like not to turn on your blinker until you are immediately ready change lanes otherwise the driver in that lane will step on the gas and block you from getting in......and no, I did not try to do the same when someone wanted to change lanes, your more than welcome do a lane change in front of me, I'll let you in.

I used to ride a motorcycle to work rain or shine back then and did the splitting lane thing and would always get these people that would see you coming up and start riding the line trying to block you from passing, people would just get flat out jealous that you were making progress on the freeway and they are not, people in cars pull lots of nasty stuff on motorcycle riders down there..(splitting lanes in Ca. is perfectly legal).......well over 40 years of street riding for me, actually have my Kawasaki ZZR 600 in the back of the moving truck.

Will not have internet access for a while except for running up to the Priest Lake library once a week or so and use the public WiFi to catch up on the news and check email.

I'll do a follow up on the drive up and how it went at a later date, getting ready to shutdown and pack up the PC.

Thanks again everyone.........

Old 03-21-2016, 11:22 PM

7,380 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Godspeed, Don! Looking forward to hearing from you after you've settled down and the cats have stopped fussing! Don't forget to change your C-D location!

Old 03-22-2016, 09:34 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,770,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra don View Post
I used to ride a motorcycle to work rain or shine back then and did the splitting lane thing...(splitting lanes in Ca. is perfectly legal)
Have a safe trip, sierra don. (Should we start calling you 'priest lake don'?)

Forgive the thread highjack. Is 'lane splitting' legal in Idaho? Not that there is much opportunity to do so. How about filtering up to the front when stopped at a signal?

Old 03-22-2016, 09:44 AM

181 posts, read 270,640 times
Default pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra don View Post
Thanks everyone........!!!!

The truck is loaded and will be on the road tomorrow morning, just have to hook up the car hauler trailer, put my Jeep on it, load the cats into the Jeep and hit the road. Hopefully we will not get any snow tonight or tomorrow AM, forecast says less than an inch of snow for tonight, Hope they are wrong.

No Kalifornia attitude from us and I'm also a polite driver, after 20+ years of living up here in the mountains I've slowed down and just go with the flow, but back when I lived in Southern Ca. many years ago it was either kill or be killed when comes to trying to navigate the freeways down there.

You learn things like not to turn on your blinker until you are immediately ready change lanes otherwise the driver in that lane will step on the gas and block you from getting in......and no, I did not try to do the same when someone wanted to change lanes, your more than welcome do a lane change in front of me, I'll let you in.

I used to ride a motorcycle to work rain or shine back then and did the splitting lane thing and would always get these people that would see you coming up and start riding the line trying to block you from passing, people would just get flat out jealous that you were making progress on the freeway and they are not, people in cars pull lots of nasty stuff on motorcycle riders down there..(splitting lanes in Ca. is perfectly legal).......well over 40 years of street riding for me, actually have my Kawasaki ZZR 600 in the back of the moving truck.

Will not have internet access for a while except for running up to the Priest Lake library once a week or so and use the public WiFi to catch up on the news and check email.

I'll do a follow up on the drive up and how it went at a later date, getting ready to shutdown and pack up the PC.

Thanks again everyone.........
I hope to see some trout, salmon pics from Priest lake. I heard they're pretty big.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:25 PM

617 posts, read 349,231 times
Welcome to Idaho. When you get here, be an Idahoan, not an ex-Californian. Leave that state behind and enjoy the bounties and culture of our state. Do that and you'll fit right in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho