Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 09:37 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,274,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Dang, Cassidy.
You shouldn't have gotten me started on local history. I apologize for that huge post.
I think no one would ever have a legit complaint about the length of your posts. You've always been a major contributor to this forum. I think MSR is smiling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 01:43 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Pocatello is culturally in the middle between Boise and Idaho Falls. Mostly it's similar to either, but Idaho State U. has been there forever, so it's a college town. Pocatello also developed as more an industrial city than Idaho Falls, as it was a railroad junction, which always helps build industry, and it's close to the phosphate mines that lie to the south. The phosphate was processed in Poky and shipped out by rail.

Pocatello is named after a famous Bannock chief.
Below is a little snippet from lingomash.com on the origins of a term familiar only to locals, railroaders, and railroad buffs.

What is the slang meaning/definition of POCATELLO YARDMASTER ?
POCATELLO YARDMASTER means: Derisive term for boomers, all of whom presumably claimed to have held, at some time, the tough job of night yardmaster at Pocatello, Idaho.

For the benefit of non-railfans, it should also be understood that the term "boomer" doesn't refer to those of us born between 1946-64, but to itinerants within the rail industry who moved from job to job; except for a short surge during World War II, the custom died out once railroad mileage and employment reached its peak (c.1915)

Old 06-28-2017, 02:04 PM

507 posts, read 662,985 times
banjomike says:

And my brother has been bugging me about getting back on a horse to do some team roping. We are both too old for that monkey business, even if we're still both brutally handsome.

That brutally handsome is a requirement for team ropers....and they know it, too.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:00 PM

7,383 posts, read 12,677,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I think no one would ever have a legit complaint about the length of your posts. You've always been a major contributor to this forum. I think MSR is smiling
I was thinking the same thing!

Old 06-28-2017, 08:08 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I was thinking the same thing!
I miss MSR quite a lot. I only wish I had gotten to know her personally, but I never got the chance.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:12 AM

5,586 posts, read 5,022,010 times
Is there any advantage to going up to the northern part of Idaho like Bonners Ferry or Grangeville?

Old 06-29-2017, 11:17 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Is there any advantage to going up to the northern part of Idaho like Bonners Ferry or Grangeville?
That all depends on whether you want to move to a small remote town or not. Some folks may see that as an advantage, while others may not.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:34 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,014,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Your two examples are, as Mike says, small remote towns. Some are looking for that, others not so much.

Bonners Ferry is a delightful small town to those who are looking for that sort of environment. From Bonners Ferry itself you are 30 minute drive on a well maintained US highway from Sandpoint, a still small but somewhat larger town with more shopping, restaurant and cultural options.

On the other hand, Coeur d'Alene has become a fairly good sized city, and offers just about all the amenities of city living that one could want. So that alternative exists in north Idaho as well if that's what you are looking for.

Dave

Old 06-30-2017, 08:38 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,022,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
Your two examples are, as Mike says, small remote towns. Some are looking for that, others not so much.

Bonners Ferry is a delightful small town to those who are looking for that sort of environment. From Bonners Ferry itself you are 30 minute drive on a well maintained US highway from Sandpoint, a still small but somewhat larger town with more shopping, restaurant and cultural options.

On the other hand, Coeur d'Alene has become a fairly good sized city, and offers just about all the amenities of city living that one could want. So that alternative exists in north Idaho as well if that's what you are looking for.

Dave
yES we are looking for rural with no traffic, congestion, lines, more space, more parking with less traffic signals having to stop at.
Athol?

Old 07-01-2017, 07:20 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,014,398 times
To me, the best thing about Athol is it is more or less midway between CDA and Sandpoint. It's an area with primarily rural/ residential properties and (so far) little commercial development. There is Silverwood theme park, and a recently approved commercial development near there on 95.

What I don't find so nice is that it's fairly flat, and I prefer something with at least rolling hills. Also, a major train line runs through there, and I think it can be hard to avoid train noise.

The other consideration is to think about the future. In time I think the level of congestion you see around CDA will spread north, and that might eventually reach Athol. After a year of living in Sagle, CDA now feels like a big city when we visit there. It's really not, but our perspective has definitely changed.

North Idaho offers a nice range of choices on the city/ rural spectrum. In general, the further north you go the more rural it becomes, but there are more rural pockets in many places. In the end there is no substitute for exploring the area in order to see where you might find the best fit for your situation.

Dave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho