Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 09:21 PM

5,594 posts, read 5,053,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
Check out the Wood River Valley ... Blaine County .... Ketchum (home of Hemingway), Sun Valley, Hailey and Bellevue. South Valley is less expensive. Strong art community. Many writers. Writers conference every year. You missed it this year. ( https://svwc.com/)
What the h are you doing in Pocatello?!!! Who misled you there?!
Not cheap in the valley but if you really want to be there, you'll find a way.
I am not a writer but aren't these areas you speak of tourist spots?
Swan Valley might be more secluded but then again I don't want to end up in a rural subdivision where they build more homes around me then along with all of that development will come traffic, kids or adults racing their cars, go karts ATV's.

Maybe I am safer being near an Indian reservation or land owned by Bureau of Land Management.
I would hate to be invaded by land development or new subdivisions popping up which is exactly what is happening here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 09:27 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,021,368 times
Just on the subject of garages, I agree that living in the Idaho climate there is a lot of value in having an attached garage. If you need to store fuel, chainsaws, snow machines, lawn mowers etc. I think it's best to keep them in a separate outbuilding.

There's a lot to be said for the convenience of being able to carry groceries from the car to your house without going outside.

Dave

Old 08-01-2017, 09:32 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,749,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
I am not a writer but aren't these areas you speak of tourist spots?
Swan Valley might be more secluded but then again I don't want to end up in a rural subdivision where they build more homes around me then along with all of that development will come traffic, kids or adults racing their cars, go karts ATV's.

Maybe I am safer being near an Indian reservation or land owned by Bureau of Land Management.
I would hate to be invaded by land development or new subdivisions popping up which is exactly what is happening here.
Not go karts, atv's etc. in this valley .... or very little activity like that. And no snow mobiles in the winter.
There are many tourists in the summer but they're either here to play gold, tennis, mountain bike, hike, camp, fish, etc. or they're on the way up to Stanley and points north or coming south from those points.
It's an area surrounded by public lands. It's also a place where one can find places that are more secluded. It is possible to live in the valley and have very little to do with anyone.
I've been connected to the valley for my entire life as i have family who have been in the valley since the late 1940's and yes, it certainly has grown over the years.
But it's still an incredibly beautiful area.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
Just on the subject of garages, I agree that living in the Idaho climate there is a lot of value in having an attached garage. If you need to store fuel, chainsaws, snow machines, lawn mowers etc. I think it's best to keep them in a separate outbuilding.

There's a lot to be said for the convenience of being able to carry groceries from the car to your house without going outside.

Dave

GOOD point on the storage of fuel, chainsaws, snow machines and lawn mowers. COMBUSTABLES

I do keep A small approved sealed container of gasoline for my lawn mower in in my attached garage
Also there is a water heater in my attached garage with pilot light.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Not go karts, atv's etc. in this valley .... or very little activity like that. And no snow mobiles in the winter.
There are many tourists in the summer but they're either here to play gold, tennis, mountain bike, hike, camp, fish, etc. or they're on the way up to Stanley and points north or coming south from those points.
It's an area surrounded by public lands. It's also a place where one can find places that are more secluded. It is possible to live in the valley and have very little to do with anyone.
I've been connected to the valley for my entire life as i have family who have been in the valley since the late 1940's and yes, it certainly has grown over the years.
But it's still an incredibly beautiful area.
sorry to hear about that growth. It seems to be a cancer that is spreading everywhere.

But many thanks for your input.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:02 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,749,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
sorry to hear about that growth. It seems to be a cancer that is spreading everywhere.

But many thanks for your input.
I've lived in quite a few beautiful, magical places and the money people come in, wanna own it and then ruin it. But the valley is still beautiful and because it's surrounded by so much public land, the development can only go so far. But yep, it's a drag. I remember childhood days in the Wood River Valley in the 70's ... cowboys, regular folks, hippies and artists and the people who had money (they've always been here) didn't show it off. They were just here for the nature, the mountains, skiing in the winter, etc.. Then the 80's happened. So it goes.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
I've lived in quite a few beautiful, magical places and the money people come in, wanna own it and then ruin it. But the valley is still beautiful and because it's surrounded by so much public land, the development can only go so far. But yep, it's a drag. I remember childhood days in the Wood River Valley in the 70's ... cowboys, regular folks, hippies and artists and the people who had money (they've always been here) didn't show it off. They were just here for the nature, the mountains, skiing in the winter, etc.. Then the 80's happened. So it goes.
I only come in peace. Just want to be left alone and prefer quiet, privacy. I will ride in quietly and ride out quietly at sunset. I don't need anything but peace n quiet.
It is just me. Not someone with 6 kids and 10 motor vehicles working the system.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:53 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,298,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Idaho isn't like Montana, where a lot of writers moved to be among other writers, but I know a couple of novelists who ended up here.

They moved here because they needed to get away to somewhere with no hustle-bustle and the distractions of the big cities so they could write in peace and quiet.

And be left alone so they could get some work done. Idahoans tend to ignore fame. A famous person doesn't get a bunch of hangers-on here like they do in other places.

If the writer is a nice person who gets along with the neighbors, we generally don't care how famous they may be somewhere else- they're just getting by and doing their job like the rest of us.

As long as they take us and where we're living for life as it is here, not where they came from. Those who come and expect to find all the big-city stuff have a harder time fitting in. That's why there are always a few movie stars, singers, etc. who come to live here. Those who adapt quickly to our laid-back ways always end up doing well. Those who don't adapt eventually go back to where they came from.

Hemingway was so famous that he was instantly recognized as soon as he arrived, but he was happy to stand in line at the grocery store and chat with the customer next to him, and he was soon just another guy in the neighborhood. It's all in the attitude a person brings with them.

Writers have a big advantage though- people generally know their names more than their faces. A writer can be very famous, but won't be spotted in a crowd like a movie star.
this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho