Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 03:02 PM

5,601 posts, read 5,068,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I think no one would ever have a legit complaint about the length of your posts. You've always been a major contributor to this forum. I think MSR is smiling
lol..... ok I get the message . I will get off stage and soap box for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 03:15 PM

49 posts, read 117,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I believe the entire state is as friendly to all the arts as it can be.

It is always pretty easy to find a lively arts scene wherever there are a lot of people, and the arts all tend to grow and blossom where there are a lot of folks.

But small towns here tend to cherish the few artists they have in their little communities.

And while life in a small town may not offer as many possibilities to appreciate or participate in any/all the fine arts, that certainly doesn't say the folks who live in them are incurious or don't want them.

I've yet to go anywhere in Idaho where someone failed to mention a prized local musician, painter, poet, dancer, writer, you name it.

There's no difference in our appreciation of the arts. The differences come in their local availability and/or how far we must travel to enjoy the professionals.
Thank you for all of you're feedback. I arrived in Pocatello, last week. Wish I could say it feels like home--but far from it.

I am thinking of going West.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:17 PM

8,514 posts, read 8,871,095 times
Feeling like home usually takes awhile. What's bugging you?

Old 07-30-2017, 09:44 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,933,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post

Don't mind driving some distance to go to Costco or Wal-Mart. I would expect as long as there is no traffic and nothing but open road most of the way, I can deal with that. Going 30 miles away to shop is fine with me. Just don't want to deal with lines, automotive traffic, traffic signals constantly.

I know Costco will only go to highly populated areas but not sure of their marketing specs.
I did not read all the way through your post. Midvale is about 80 miles from Costco. Some of it freeway driving which I do not like Some good old highway 95. Artsy here is not so much . Many people travel to Boise for that. About 100 miles. I am an artist in my own home but do not promote my work. So we are here just not very openly available.

We used to love Pocatello but it has been years since I have been there. I live the other side very west of Pocatello. Almost to the Oregon border. I do think Boise is a very artsy place. Several art events depending on what you do. Weather can be better this side of Idaho, Maybe more snow but not usually as cold as the Eastern side. We lived both sides so speaking from experience. After a heavy snow storm and many times during the highway over here is kept clear and certainly the next day is open pavement. The eastern side can see ice on the roads for months.

As far as friendly in my town maybe not so much but I am a bit of a hermit so I do not care.

Oh and a Waremart which is an off shoot of Winco has opened in Ontario Oregon and it is wonderful. Not the size of Costco. Honestly in the 23 years I have lived this side I have been to Costco twice. I just do not feel the need for it.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
I did not read all the way through your post. Midvale is about 80 miles from Costco. Some of it freeway driving which I do not like Some good old highway 95. Artsy here is not so much . Many people travel to Boise for that. About 100 miles. I am an artist in my own home but do not promote my work. So we are here just not very openly available.

We used to love Pocatello but it has been years since I have been there. I live the other side very west of Pocatello. Almost to the Oregon border. I do think Boise is a very artsy place. Several art events depending on what you do. Weather can be better this side of Idaho, Maybe more snow but not usually as cold as the Eastern side. We lived both sides so speaking from experience. After a heavy snow storm and many times during the highway over here is kept clear and certainly the next day is open pavement. The eastern side can see ice on the roads for months.

As far as friendly in my town maybe not so much but I am a bit of a hermit so I do not care.

Oh and a Waremart which is an off shoot of Winco has opened in Ontario Oregon and it is wonderful. Not the size of Costco. Honestly in the 23 years I have lived this side I have been to Costco twice. I just do not feel the need for it.
i Shop Costco once a week and if it doesn't have what I want I can go to Sam's Club and get it there.
Also have Walmart and I use that place for smaller quantities. All of them are great stores but my favorite is Costco and sometimes I go to Costco once a week. Of late Costco is the only store I shop at.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
i Shop Costco once a week and if it doesn't have what I want I can go to Sam's Club and get it there.
Also have Walmart and I use that place for smaller quantities. All of them are great stores but my favorite is Costco and sometimes I go to Costco once a week. Of late Costco is the only store I shop at.
Then 80 miles from here would be too far to go once week. I usually go shopping once every two or three weeks and drive 45 miles one way to Ontatio, Oregon. I am only one person here and find no reason to buy in large quantities. Why I like the Waremart. Yes Walmart is right across the street from Waremart. I prefer to not go there except for my prescriptions. I actually hate shopping so only go when I am forced to. Had considered going today but I think I can hold off one more week.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Then 80 miles from here would be too far to go once week. I usually go shopping once every two or three weeks and drive 45 miles one way to Ontatio, Oregon. I am only one person here and find no reason to buy in large quantities. Why I like the Waremart. Yes Walmart is right across the street from Waremart. I prefer to not go there except for my prescriptions. I actually hate shopping so only go when I am forced to. Had considered going today but I think I can hold off one more week.
We will see once I am retired and am not commuting on a regular basis as I will have time to go where and when I want. It will all depend on the kind of terrain I must deal with, weather at the time and type of vehicle I will be using or need.

In my searches for housing I have found great homes except they do not have access road to get to the house. So that is why those homes have been on the market for over a year. with the prices going down and house is on and off the market throughout the year probably because of the weather and because no one has access to get to the house. Sounds stupid to me.

I don't get it who tries to sell a house with no access to the home
Does not make sense. Well I am from the land of anything goes so I guess I should not be surprised.

Anyway I have put in my search parameters "Attached garage and a paved driveway".

Old 08-01-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
We will see once I am retired and am not commuting on a regular basis as I will have time to go where and when I want. It will all depend on the kind of terrain I must deal with, weather at the time and type of vehicle I will be using or need.

In my searches for housing I have found great homes except they do not have access road to get to the house. So that is why those homes have been on the market for over a year. with the prices going down and house is on and off the market throughout the year probably because of the weather and because no one has access to get to the house. Sounds stupid to me.

I don't get it who tries to sell a house with no access to the home
Does not make sense. Well I am from the land of anything goes so I guess I should not be surprised.

Anyway I have put in my search parameters "Attached garage and a paved driveway".
Lots of helicopter places. Last house we had had a 1/4 mile drive. Why we do not live there any more. I can only think of one house in town that has about half the driveway paved in front. The back side ,alley access, is not paved. it is sold. OH Wait I think the house around the corner from me has a paved drive and is for sale. But too fr from costco from you. thing is in this country pavement/cement does not do well. the weather heaves and cracks it be it asphalt or cement. I prefer detached garage, I have had both, because of the smell and fire possibilities. Oh and the paved driveway house around the corner has an attached garage closed in but it floods. sigh. Be sure to keep an eye on the flood plain map.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:56 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,752,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidy2 View Post
Thank you for all of you're feedback. I arrived in Pocatello, last week. Wish I could say it feels like home--but far from it.

I am thinking of going West.
Check out the Wood River Valley ... Blaine County .... Ketchum (home of Hemingway), Sun Valley, Hailey and Bellevue. South Valley is less expensive. Strong art community. Many writers. Writers conference every year. You missed it this year. ( https://svwc.com/)
What the h are you doing in Pocatello?!!! Who misled you there?!
Not cheap in the valley but if you really want to be there, you'll find a way.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Lots of helicopter places. Last house we had had a 1/4 mile drive. Why we do not live there any more. I can only think of one house in town that has about half the driveway paved in front. The back side ,alley access, is not paved. it is sold. OH Wait I think the house around the corner from me has a paved drive and is for sale. But too fr from costco from you. thing is in this country pavement/cement does not do well. the weather heaves and cracks it be it asphalt or cement. I prefer detached garage, I have had both, because of the smell and fire possibilities. Oh and the paved driveway house around the corner has an attached garage closed in but it floods. sigh. Be sure to keep an eye on the flood plain map.
"in this country pavement/cement does not do well. the weather heaves and cracks it be it asphalt or cement".
Is this the reason for gravel driveways

Where I live now I have a giant crack that looks like from a earthquake fault that runs from middle of common street to my very short driveway into garage. But cement cracks period. I remodeled landscaping in large backyard with paver stones which are good for places that have lots of earth movement and 2.5 loads of cement (which is alot of cement) that was rebarbed and cement cracked within days. $30,000 remodel of yard.

"because of the smell and fire possibilities"
You mean with a detached garage there is less chance for gasoline smell, odors from car or having a fire? If so I am not concerned about that.

I just prefer attached garages because I frequently go from inside house to inside garage ALOT. In these areas of increment weather I would think it be better than you can have access to your garage and cars so you don't get affected by the elements especially since I go between garage and house alot and that there will be another freezer/refrigerator in garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho