Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2015, 09:56 AM

7,382 posts, read 12,673,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
I have extra snow I'm not using. Free for the hauling! Just come on over to Billings and help yourself.
Thanks, but I don't think NID needs it. Getting buried in snow right now, according to the Sandpoint webcam! But please send some down to SoCal for Christmas. Just make sure it isn't used snow. Hate used snow...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 09:25 PM

279 posts, read 486,350 times
All of the snow we're getting (in Salmon) is such a welcome sight!

Took this out front the other day:

I hope it keeps coming. <3

Old 12-20-2015, 01:10 AM

Wow, what a beautiful picture! I love the Salmon area, but I've only seen it in summer. Hope you'll get all the show you want!

We went shopping for a Christmas tree this evening (we're usually this late. Work, work, work...). Not a bad night for it, on the chilly side for SoCal, around 53 degrees. Most tree lots were closed, or had crappy trees left. We're very particular--the tree has to be a complete clone of all the trees we've ever had. Not too poofy, not too dense, not too open. We finally found one at, yes, a Home Depot. For all we know, it's from Idaho...

The irony is that our property in Clark Fork has tons of beautiful grand firs, just the kind we like to bring indoors and decorate...

Did you know this?

Grand Fir
Quote:
Past research has identified the "Panhandle" area of Idaho as a desirable seed source. Most seedlings produced for Christmas tree growers originate from this region. It is germinated from seed in both greenhouses and bare root nurseries and usually transplanted in a nursery for one to two years.

Old 12-20-2015, 07:19 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,013,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Did you know this?

Grand Fir
I did not know that! Very interesting bit of trivia.

We're looking forward to harvesting our Christmas tree from our property next year.

Dave

Old 12-20-2015, 07:47 AM

8,090 posts, read 15,163,899 times
That's interesting. I've seen those pretty trees but didn't know what they were. Links to all sorts of Xmas trees on that site, very informative.

In Bozeman they're selling a lot of Fraser fir, another really pretty variety... but expensive! Wonder if they'd grow here?

Old 12-20-2015, 09:26 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
I did not know that! Very interesting bit of trivia.

We're looking forward to harvesting our Christmas tree from our property next year.

Dave
This post brings back a fond family memory. My Uncle Pete used to go up to our ranch and cut everyone a Christmas tree for years. Since they were all wild, for decades all the family's trees were crooked, or naked on one side, or something. My grandparents always got the best looking one of the bunch.

A lot of them were half-buried by the snow when he cut them, and now, 40 years later, there are spots where all the evergreens that were young trees back then are now mature big ones. With flat tops. It's very easy to see where my uncle liked to harvest the trees.

He's been gone almost 30 years now, but he always comes back to mind when I see one of those big flat-topped trees.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:38 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
That's interesting. I've seen those pretty trees but didn't know what they were. Links to all sorts of Xmas trees on that site, very informative.

In Bozeman they're selling a lot of Fraser fir, another really pretty variety... but expensive! Wonder if they'd grow here?
That's a surprise. Fraser fir is an eastern fir that is native to the Appalachians. I always thought we didn't have enough moisture for them to grow here.
Who knows? The Christmas tree industry is like just like other agriculture; lots of hybrids being created nowadays that never existed before. The forest industry is always looking for faster growing trees that will tolerate planting more densely than nature ever allowed.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:01 AM

8,090 posts, read 15,163,899 times
They might be trucking in those Fraser firs from the far end of the country -- would explain why they're so pricey. No idea where they're grown. But yeah, with irrigation we grow lots of stuff where nature never allowed, including nearly all our fruit and vegetable crops.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:38 AM

The Sandpoint webcam is down...too much snow? The Gold Hill camera is working and shows fog/heavy snow...

Hope you guys in NID have all your shopping done!

Old 12-21-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
The Sandpoint webcam is down...too much snow? The Gold Hill camera is working and shows fog/heavy snow...

Hope you guys in NID have all your shopping done!
Camera's back up. Never mind!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho