Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2020, 11:52 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a licensed, competent person who can install a wood stove and wood stove pipe. I'm not having any luck finding anyone to do the job. I'm just north of Coeur d'Alene

Mostly, calls are not returned and the only fellow who came out to look never got back to me.

You can send me a private message if you don't want to post phone numbers online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2020, 02:36 PM

726 posts, read 329,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
(What is he sniffing, at the end??)

I guess that's a holly bush, but the berries are blue. (How'd he know the berries are probably poisonous?)

Old 08-14-2020, 04:36 PM

8,088 posts, read 15,163,899 times
Probably can smell the toxins and that makes 'em 'not food'.

Old 08-14-2020, 06:35 PM

560 posts, read 437,684 times
@Boone1791

Thanks for sharing. That picture is what I’d like to see everyday for the rest of my natural life. Gives me extra motivation for a quicker relocation to NID.

Old 10-10-2020, 07:02 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,276,566 times
Remember the words of Sage, keep this thread on the front page.

If you are not aware, Idaho has this cool program where rare whiskeys are in a lottery that you can enter. They also have special releases.

2020-10-10_05-57-32 by elousv, on Flickr

Old 10-10-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone1791 View Post
I guess that's a holly bush, but the berries are blue. (How'd he know the berries are probably poisonous?)
So I got around to looking for it, and apparently it's something called an "Oregon grape":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahonia_aquifolium

with numerous cultivars:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahonia

"The small purplish-black fruits, which are quite tart and contain large seeds, are included in smaller quantities in the traditional diets of Pacific Northwest indigenous peoples, mixed with salal or another sweeter fruit. Today, they are sometimes used to make jelly, alone or mixed with salal.[17] Oregon-grape juice can be fermented to make wine, similar to European barberry wine folk traditions, although it requires an unusually high amount of sugar.[18] The berries can also be eaten raw after the season's first frosts."

From the description, it kinda sounds like by comparison, chokecherries are pleasantly sweet.

Elsewhere I read that the berries are "medicinal" which usually means "variable toxicity and/or nasty side effects".

[looks further]
While some sites list it as non-toxic, I also found this:

======
Possible Side Effects
There are several side effects that have been reported from the use of Oregon grape, including:

Itching, burning, and irritation (at the site of topical cream administration)
Rash (particularly with topical use)
Diarrhea
Nausea and vomiting
Jaundice (yellowing of skin and eyes)
Kidney inflammation and irritation
Allergic reactions
Liver toxicity

Potential Drug Interactions

Certain medicines may interact with Oregon grape and may interfere with the body’s ability to break down some types of medications in the liver. Anyone taking prescription medication should consult with the healthcare provider before taking Oregon grape.

Examples of medications that should not be taken with Oregon grape include:

Cyclosporine (Neoral, Sandimmune)
Tetracycline
Doxycycline
Any medications that are changed by the liver

Some medications that are broken down in the liver may be broken down differently (causing increased side effects of some medications).

Safety Precautions

Oregon grape is not recommended for people who are pregnant (it is thought to cross the placental barrier and may harm the fetus). Oregon grape is not safe for use by people who are breastfeeding; brain damage has been reported in newborn infants exposed to berberine, which can be transferred to the infant via breast milk.

The safety of Oregon grape has not been established for use in children (particularly in newborns).

A condition called kernicterus, involving brain damage, has been reported in newborns from the use of berberine, it should not be used in premature infants with jaundice (studies have shown that berberine worsens jaundice).

Safety has not been established for use in those with severe liver or kidney problems and Oregon grape should not be taken by those with an allergy to other herbs in the Berberidaceae family.

It is recommended that Oregon grape (taken by mouth) is used no longer than two to three weeks before taking a break from its use. Long-term internal use is not recommended; long-term use has been found to lead to adverse reactions such as damage to the natural probiotics in the gastrointestinal system and liver toxicity.

Some medical experts report that there is not enough medical research evidence to prove that Oregon grape is safe when ingested.
==========

So, apparently it's a serious risk for multiple organ damage, notably the liver. Do Not Eat.

Old 10-13-2020, 11:00 AM

726 posts, read 329,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
So I got around to looking for it, and apparently it's something called an "Oregon grape"....
Thanks for the research!

Not a front porch shot, but out a window into the backyard....

Old 10-13-2020, 11:28 AM

Wow. Good photo!

Old 10-13-2020, 01:18 PM

7,380 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Awwww, what a beautiful scene! Now I just have to post a pic of one of our dogs on our Front Porch from last summer when he caught sight of a deer in the meadow...
Attached Thumbnails
The North Idaho Front Porch-dog-porch-deer.jpg  

Old 10-14-2020, 09:01 AM

211 posts, read 451,486 times
We have sort of started our retirement journey to Sandpoint. We are buying land right now (hopefully we close next month) and then start the build in 4 years. I am soaking up any and all NID I can find. I love the pictures you all share!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho