Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 9,811 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone:

I am new to City-Data, and so glad I found the site, with so many people making great efforts to help others. I am considering possible relocation to Idaho, and focusing on Rexburg and nearby communities, or Moscow. If anyone can help with detail about these areas, especially Rexburg, I would be grateful. What are the communities like in terms of socializing with neighbors---do people seem outgoing and friendly in general, or do they tend to keep to themselves as in other communities I've heard about? Are there stores in any of these areas where you can buy organic food? Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 09:14 PM

7 posts, read 35,918 times
Default Hi

Hi,

I can't say too much about Rexburg, (and nothing about moscow) but i did live there as an exchange student for two years about 10 years ago. I recently moved back to Idaho Falls. That is the closest city, about 30 min. away. (City being like 60 000 people.)

Rexburg is really small, prominantly LDS and a big part is BYU Idaho, which is the university there. The locals are always complaining about the university students, but couldn't really survive without it. It is truly a small town, but i liked it ok when i was there. Doesn't have much for any extra curricular activities, except for movie theaters. But within driving distance you can definatly find some stuff to do.

No real shopping either, the closes mall is in Idaho Falls.

Other then that i thought most people were really nice, and it is a pretty safe area.

Unless you have to move to rexburg, i would definetly consider Idaho falls intstead.....

(Please excuse my grammar, my first language isn't english.)

Old 05-12-2007, 08:00 AM

630 posts, read 2,431,494 times
Rexburg is a wonderful city.
The residents there are very kind, and helpful.
Yes, there are a lot of LDS in the city, and yes, there are a lot of LDS activities, but, it's not predominately LDS.

Don't let anyone scare you off.
I went to school there off and on growing up, and a lot of my relatives live there.

Here are two links about Rexburg:
http://www.rexcc.com/ and
http://www.rexburg.org/

I would suggest that if you could, go visit Rexburg, and drive around the area.

A lot of people seem to think that just because a city doesn't have a local chain for shopping that they don't have good stores.
I think some of the Mom/Pop stores are much better, because you have a more personal shopping experience.

What some people think is backwards or non progressive, I think is just good old fashioned one on one customer service... something that you don't get from the larger stores.

Good hunting in your search for a new home.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:33 AM

3 posts, read 16,346 times
I have had several kids and grand-kids going to BYU - Idaho. It is a hub for that community, but no group can control your lifestyle unless you let it. And frankly, LDS are probably more tolerant than most I can cites experiences with. Plus, the outdoors just above including Yellowstone is great - some of the greatest fly-fishing in the world. Check it out - and as to wind-swept Idaho Falls, no thank you - I'll take Rexburg any day.

Moscow has a lot to offer also. Univ. of Idaho there - not far from Washington State, just cross the border; Snake River and Clearwater River join about Lewiston, which is right across the river/lake from Washington State's Clarkston...so lots to offer, plus I believe Lewiston/clarkston has a little more gentle climate - at least that has been my experience in driving thru to the beautiful Couer d' lene Lake area just above, which is also just out of Spokane, Washington - so lots of unique influences all about.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 9,604 times
I can remember living in Rexford many years ago.I was only a child,Now reading this,I feel like moving there again as I raise my grandchildren.So what if its has alot of Mormans,maybe if I move there I will be raising them where the older people are teaching goodness and kindness,maybe there we can see young men in nice cloths not showing thier back sides.and the girls wear decent cloths.

<Orphaned data edited out...orig problem deleted from other post>

Last edited by bd1047; 05-16-2007 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: worded last sentence wrong

Old 05-23-2007, 12:34 AM

39 posts, read 207,942 times
I live in Rigby, about 15 min. South of Rexburg and love it. We moved here 3 years ago to get away from traffic and really hot summers. There are lots of great things about living here. You can read some of my other posts if you want to know more. Good luck in your search! And sorry your post became a battle ground.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:41 AM

282 posts, read 1,168,739 times
Please people. I'm new here, think this is a GREAT site. We all have good/bad experiences where we live regardless. Don't turn this site into a pissing contest. I have nothing against Mormons but know they wield a lot of "power" in their communities. Crime? Live in the Detroit (detoilet) area. My GF and I are in our early 50's. Schools aren't an issue. A job is of course but we aren't "career oriented" anymore. We don't want suburpia, but access to it-you know wimmenz. MY BIGGEST concern would be acceptance of our racial status. I'm white,she's black. Is Idaho tolerant of this or should I look elsewhere? AND, please be NICE! Have a nice day.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:59 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
Zakian (and all),

Posts deleted, thread pruned to relevant data only.

OK...we know some people have VERY strong feelings about SE Idaho and the level of Mormon/LDS influence there. OK, caveat emptor. End of subject unless you want to go take it up in the RELIGION forum. Any more derailment of this thread will mean getting the smackdown by ol' Sage....

Old 05-25-2007, 04:02 PM

121 posts, read 737,811 times
Rigby is still basically a small, somewhat backward town where people will stare at you and gossip about anyone they consider outsiders or different. So you may want to consider a larger city. Idaho Falls or Boise would be a much better choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakian View Post
Please people. I'm new here, think this is a GREAT site. We all have good/bad experiences where we live regardless. Don't turn this site into a pissing contest. I have nothing against Mormons but know they wield a lot of "power" in their communities. Crime? Live in the Detroit (detoilet) area. My GF and I are in our early 50's. Schools aren't an issue. A job is of course but we aren't "career oriented" anymore. We don't want suburpia, but access to it-you know wimmenz. MY BIGGEST concern would be acceptance of our racial status. I'm white,she's black. Is Idaho tolerant of this or should I look elsewhere? AND, please be NICE! Have a nice day.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:45 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Thumbs up I Have a Great Contact Person for you to Ask Your Very Good Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakian View Post
Zakian,

I'm also new to this particular site. Have worked with other similar sites for a while and am ALWAYS disappointed when comments have to turn negative.

Being honest with you, I think as a couple you'd have a tough time in Rexburg. Idaho Falls is far more diverse, because of INL (one of 15 national labs in the U.S.) bringing employees in throughout the U.S. Plus, if Idaho Falls gets any of the 3 componenets of GNEP, thousands of higher paying jobs will be added as soon as construction is done. GNEP will be announced in a year - June 2008 - the last update.

Having lived in many states, I laugh about people talking about the eastern Idaho wind (my niece is probably the worst!). So I asked an engineer who use to live in Idaho as a kid, but now lives in Utah to clock some wind speeds at certain metro areas in the Salt Lake City and Provo-Orem Metro areas for comparison. He was shocked to learn there is far more wind in those areas of UT than what Idaho Falls registers.

However, since you are from Detroit, you've dealt with some pretty harsh weather elements and I don't think weather might be the greatest influence on your choice of where to relocate. Other factors may.

I think the greatest service I can provide for you is to give you the link to a local black author who has a wealth of experience in many areas. He has offered to be a resource to any black residents anticipating moving to Idaho. His name is Michael Strickland. He is a very well published author and is from NJ originally. I'll give you his web page and then also a couple of other addresses for him.

The Stricklands, and I think they have 2 daughters (pre-school or maybe elementary now) moved to Idaho ~ 5 years ago. I believe Michael would be a very good resource for you both given the ages of you and your g/f, plus he has taught at BYU-I in Rexburg and ISU in Pocatello while living in Idaho Falls. He will be honest with you about any questions you ask, as that's his m.o. - some of his students say too honest.

I also like to utilize the knowledge of their entire family. I forgot which post a woman asked who could do a black woman's hair in eastern ID. The truth is I don't know. But, Michael's wife probably does know or knows if that is something your g/f may have to travel to a different city for this service. (If anyone else remembers that other post, please feel free to share Michael Strickland's same access info with the person asking.). Someday, someone hopefully will want to move to eastern ID and be a licensed cosmetologist, and is already very experienced with working with African American clients and the unique needs their hair has in no humid state.

I believe Michael moved a bit more south as he started to teach more classes between ISU and Utah State University in Logan, UT, instead of as many at BYU-I, but I might be wrong. However, he is very familiar with eastern ID including Rexburg and Idaho Falls and he's the best resource I can think of for you to ask some questions.

I hope you are able to connect with Dr. Strickland, who still prefers to be addressed as Michael. Please tell him "NetFan" sent you. He'll know who that is me and despite the fact we wouldn't know each other in the same room, we've shared a lot of online discussions about a variety of topics for over 2 yrs. I sincerely hope he and perhaps his wife (or others he may recommend) are able to help you with your questions.

Michael Strickland (make sure you get that "r" in there or the webpage won't go to Michael's home page).

Michael R. Strickland
510 East 17th Street
PMB422
Idaho Falls, ID
1-800-822-8661 X6993
Email: strick@michaelrstrickland.com

or

Michael Strickland
775 Yellowstone Avenue #206
Pocatello, ID 83201

author@michaelrstrickland.com

Good luck with your decisions and your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho