Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 01:10 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,317,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Where is that false? On the federal/nation level? A small town on the southern border in a border state?
One bit of research found 176 indigenous languages spoken in the United States and 188 immigrant languages. Presumably not all of them were in small border towns.

Quote:
More helping, more dependency, more suppression. Why don't you just let them make the decision for themselves? Plus, here's a clue: Why the hell would a business waste all that money to hire a bilingual worker for one other worker whose English is poor? No, the agenda is much bigger than you realize.
I'm the one advocating for allowing businesses to make the decision themselves on what skills they deem necessary for their employees. And if a business feels that having a bilingual employee to assist their customers is beneficial for them then I don't see where it is anyone else's place to say otherwise.

Quote:
Nobody is demanding them to be fluent in English overnight! We ask them to make an effort to learn English as much as they can. Why? So they can be better...for the both of us.

And what's that? That we have millions upon millions of illegal aliens that refuse to learn English? That they demand Spanish and we comply? There is only one solution...be a legal immigrant. And learn English to the best of their abilities.
Agreed. So, since they aren't expected to be fluent overnight are they expected to go without goods and services in the interim?

Quote:
Did you demand English while living in other countries?
No. We usually fought over what language we were going to speak. I wanted to speak Swedish, and they wanted to speak English. We were both trying to show off.

Quote:
It is in the dictionary...of English.
And how do you suppose that a Latin word got into the English dictionary. By making everyone learn English?

Old 07-16-2010, 02:24 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,540,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
One bit of research found 176 indigenous languages spoken in the United States and 188 immigrant languages. Presumably not all of them were in small border towns.

Agreed. So, since they aren't expected to be fluent overnight are they expected to go without goods and services in the interim?
Can you not understand? You just found close to 200 different languages spoken in the US. How can you not see that Spanish is the ONLY language that is being forced on the English speaking citizens of the US? All those other languages are just as important to those who speak it, yet we don't cater to every one of them. (I realize that certain areas cater to certain groups, I am speaking of the country as a whole.)
What makes Spanish more important? Why can't Spanish speaking (mostly illegals) acquire their goods and services like every other immigrant who doesn't speak English?
I can't recall a time in history when a foreign language was given such importance in the workings of The United States of America.
To live in an English speaking society and be told you must speak a foreign language to get a job in a public place is just wrong. Is every business going to hire someone who speaks English, Spanish, French, etc.? Probably not, for that would be ridiculous.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:41 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,733,960 times
This has to be one of the worst threads here. I feel like I'm surrounded by a bunch of politicians ...
Anyway, since it seems you're unable to agree to disagree and are actually running in circles here, I think this thread should be closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration