Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 08:42 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,660,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
ROFL..REALLY?
I dont think so.

eh whatever. I made my opinion I don't have a problem with it.
If you people got a problem with bilinguals do something about it. I just accepted it, I made the change and like I said before, I now make more money.
It's one extra skill.
Language Requirements for Citizenship

Quote:
The reason immigrants to the United States most commonly give for not becoming citizens is the language barrier. Along with showing a basic knowledge of U.S. history and government, applicants for citizenship are required to display an ability to read, write and speak ordinary English. Older immigrants, however, should be aware that there are exceptions to this rule.
Read it and weep, mon.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:53 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,349,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Here's what you said:

In other words, you are claiming that ads for bilingual speakers are denying jobs to native speakers of English.

That's just not true, no matter how many different ways you try to say it.
You aren't even able to keep our conversation straight. First you claim I said that anyone who speaks another langauge is an illegal and I never said that and then you spin it another part of our conversation by your above remark.

Two different subjects were being discussed and you are spinning them into one.

Here let me clarify both of them for you once again. No, not everyone who speaks a foreign language is an illegal. Yes, ads for bi-lingual speakers are denying jobs to mono-English speakers. Are we done now?

Old 07-15-2010, 09:01 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,362,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Yes, it is true.

How are they gonna be schooled in any other language than English?
Home schooled or in a school that instructs in their language. Schools like these

Old 07-15-2010, 09:10 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,488,909 times
No it does not, because America is known as the melting pot. Most of us anyways are of a certain nationality, me Spanish from Spain and italian from Italy. Wow what a combination i know. Some jobs are in certain areas where the person should speak billingual, because the population, is of that origin nothing wrong with this. But i too can understand the frustration of some on this board, feeling that why should we have to learn another language other then English. When as a matter of fact, i happen to have some Mexican Friends, that have lived out here a long time, over 20 years and maybe just the husband speaks English, but the rest of the family does not, it is frustrating. I can understand both sides of the coin, for me it does not bother me. This is Dieversity like it or not. Some might take this as a form of discrimination i know and understand, some will think this is fine and acceptable, and some will not, what are we going to do, in America we have many different cultures among us, some like this some do not. What i don't think should be happening in any way, is catering to the illegal aliens, and hiring them, this should not happen, go after these employer's. However i sincerely feel that if your going to take time and become a Legal Citizen of the United States, you can at least learn the language of the Country you became a citizen in.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:10 PM

50,553 posts, read 47,382,764 times
Bi-lingual is not a problem. Speaking multiple tongues is a plus in any Country. Let's get that straight right now.

What we are talking about here is a Society being forced to change the normal dialect it uses for commerce, for daily life and it seems to be Spanish. Why do we cater to Spanish speakers? What makes them so more important than other Immigrants?

It's Illegal Immigrants that are paving our Society into a corner. It's also the Spanish speaking Illegal Immigrants that are tipping it into some bizarre, new under-ground Society that we don't want or need as a Nation.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Read it and weep, mon.
Quote:
The reason immigrants to the United States most commonly give for not becoming citizens is the language barrier. Along with showing a basic knowledge of U.S. history and government, applicants for citizenship are required to display an ability to read, write and speak ordinary English. Older immigrants, however, should be aware that there are exceptions to this rule.
How about permanent residents who are here legally, not us citizens, and do not have an English requirement?

On what grounds should an employer not be allowed to hire an employee in order to serve these people?

Old 07-15-2010, 09:24 PM

50,553 posts, read 47,382,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
How about permanent residents who are here legally, not us citizens, and do not have an English requirement?

On what grounds should an employer not be allowed to hire an employee in order to serve these people?
Exactly how big of a population are we talking about here? It's almost nothing. Come on. Don't forget what forum this is.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Exactly how big of a population are we talking about here? It's almost nothing. Come on. Don't forget what forum this is.
About a million.

So, how many potential customers does a company have to have before being allowed to decide what skills they can look for in an employee?

That's all that this comes down to really. I get it, people are pissed off because this country needs immigration reform. I agree. But these stupid ideas aren't gonna solve the real problem.

The amount of ignorance being spewed makes it quite impossible to forget which forum this is.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:39 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,660,096 times
Quote:
Home schooled or in a school that instructs in their language. Schools like these
Homeschooled..yes, may be possible.

These schools listed do teach English.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Homeschooled..yes, may be possible.

These schools listed do teach English.
Well...50% ehh

But, when in Rome...

Quote:
The amount of ignorance being spewed makes it quite impossible to forget which forum this is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration