Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 10:05 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
even that little factoid doesnt forbid American Employers to conduct business for their clientele in any language they choose; Even Spanish.
There is no law which makes English one of America's official langueges. In fact Spanish is also a prominant American language.

"de facto"...A Latin Expression, that means standard that is a custom, convention, or system that has achieved a dominant position by public acceptance.
I have already acknowledged that an employer has the right to hire anyone who is legally in this country. Now you try acknowledging why employers are hiring bi-lingual workers over native English speakers. Do you think you can do that?

In a sense these employers are discriminating and that is against the law. Spanish shouldn't be a requirement here in America since we are an English speaking country and most Americans born or naturalized know English.

Spanish is only prominant in the southwest and Florida. It doesn't compare to the number of native English speakers in this country nationwide and the fact is that English has always been our national language aka "dominant". I never said it was "official" but it certainly should be.

Last edited by chicagonut; 07-15-2010 at 10:13 AM..

Old 07-15-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
THE USA is composed by the former colonies of Britain, Spain, and France.

If a texan employer wants to hire bilinguals, that is because the potential customers/clients speak Spanish or French or any other language.

Any person in any country who wants to get a job in a fortune 500 company MUST be bilingual or trilingual.

THE WORLD IS GLOBALIZED.

English is the primary requirement overseas. If you live in France, and want to be an accountant for KPMG, you must know English, Spanish, french, italian, etc,....

If you live in Argentina, or Brazil, English is a requirement to get a job in engineering, etc..

The Scandinavian countries are all trilinguals..

the rischest countries in the world have a bilingual population.

Companies must make money and have to sell their products to foreign markets and bilingual/trilinguals workers are needed.

Now, texas is the state with the secong highest number of Fortune 500 companies. Texas is a a money making monster.

if Nike in texas wants to hire U:S. nationals who speak mandarin I dont care.

if Coca Cola wants to hire bilingual Spanish workers I dont care.

The human resorces departments of every company make a study of the type of workers they need in order to capture the best human RESOURCE for the companies.

I speak , English, Spanish, and basic Ialian. My wife is sicilian.

English will always be the primary language of the USA. always. English is the primary language of the world!
Exactly! And most business done worldwide is done in English so it kind of refutes your points, doesn't it?

I note how the argument keeps being made about dealing in foreign markets but what about most businesses in this country that do not directly deal with foreign countries? Most county, state and other government jobs do not deal with a foreign market. They deal with Americans only. What about construction, most restaurant and other blue collar jobs that don't do business worldwide? No, the argument about dealing with foreign countries falls pretty flat. It is the exception rather than the rule.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:22 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I sucks that your average American cant get certain jobs cause they cant speak Spanish, all the jobs my g/f wants or can apply to want a billingual person, this is mostly how it is in South TX and Albuquerque. We shouldnt have to learn a different language to work in our own country and city.

yes its cool that people are different everywhere and we have diversity but those that come to live here should learn the language, my dad's first language was Spanish and he learned how to speak English,(were Spanish btw,not Mexican) he grew up in Eastern NM and Spanish was banned from schools so he was forced to learn, now days people can get by without ever learning the language.

In Northwest NM, there were ads that said "Native preffered" ,if it said "White person preffered" people would be outraged. I just dont think its right, I dont believe in singling out races.
First, I'll answer your question. No, it doesn't bother me, but I think I understand your frustration. However, you live in a region very near the border, so what do you expect? Since you are near the border have you ever thought of learning Spanish?

Additionally, it's a fact that has been statistically shown over and over and over that by the native language of an immigrant family is usually lost by the second generation of natural born. Contrary to what the anti-immigrant crowd spews, most new immigrants learn English, but prefer to speak their native language as it's easier.

"were Spanish btw,not Mexican" I remember it was suppose to be a compliment to refer to Mexicans as Spanish. The implied reason was it was embarrassing to be Mexican. They looked down upon Mexicans. Well, with a daughter who is 1/2 Mexican, I've learned Mexicans do not like Spanish and with very good reason. What does this have to do with anything? Nothing really. I just thought your caveat to be funny. Oh well.

Lastly, you seem like a nice person, so I don't mean this to be a put down. But, if you're going to blast people for not learning English then I suggest you do further study in English grammar, and work on spelling. It's hard to take you seriously on this topic with then number of grammatical errors, and spelling errors with your own use of English. Good luck.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:24 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttothechase View Post
Yeah, of course. There are not that many legal hispanics that don't speak English so the reasonable assumption is that plenty of these bilingual jobs are for dealing with illegals.
I know several who are here without a green card, and they speak English well.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:37 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Quote:
a business has the right to hire whom ever they like to take care of any customer he likes...whether you like it or not.

An American company here in Texas hired spanish-speaking Americans to act as opperators of his American business selling phone sevices to Mexican consumers in Mexico.

Are you saying that this American businessman can not opperate in the US cuz he wants to hire Spanish speaking Americans?

Really? They can? What if a large company hired white people only?

And....

Lawyer speaks out on Salvation Army suit - Framingham, MA - The MetroWest Daily News

Old 07-15-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
First, I'll answer your question. No, it doesn't bother me, but I think I understand your frustration. However, you live in a region very near the border, so what do you expect? Since you are near the border have you ever thought of learning Spanish?

Additionally, it's a fact that has been statistically shown over and over and over that by the native language of an immigrant family is usually lost by the second generation of natural born. Contrary to what the anti-immigrant crowd spews, most new immigrants learn English, but prefer to speak their native language as it's easier.

"were Spanish btw,not Mexican" I remember it was suppose to be a compliment to refer to Mexicans as Spanish. The implied reason was it was embarrassing to be Mexican. They looked down upon Mexicans. Well, with a daughter who is 1/2 Mexican, I've learned Mexicans do not like Spanish and with very good reason. What does this have to do with anything? Nothing really. I just thought your caveat to be funny. Oh well.

Lastly, you seem like a nice person, so I don't mean this to be a put down. But, if you're going to blast people for not learning English then I suggest you do further study in English grammar, and work on spelling. It's hard to take you seriously on this topic with then number of grammatical errors, and spelling errors with your own use of English. Good luck.
If by second generation Spanish speaking immigrants lose their native language then why should Americans learn Spanish? Why should Americans learn the language of any immigrant anyway? By the way, who is anti-"immigrant"? Or did you mean anti-illegal alien?

Mexicans don't like Spanish? WTH?

Old 07-15-2010, 11:45 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,026,883 times
Quote:
that is the point...employers can hire who they like...

my example is not good because it doesnt fit into your little theory that increased bilingual hires equals increased illegal immigration. I know what point your trying to put forth.

What proof do you have that any discrimination is taking place...none, or you would have citied it.

and Ill simply state the Fact that in America, an employer can hire whom he like...like it or not.

and PLUS this thread has Nothing to do with I.I. and it sure dont have anything to do with real discrimniation of anyone.

an employer can hire who they want, but again, you are missing the point, it is discrimination, some jobs wont hire gays, and that is fine and some jobs wont hire a english speaking American.

just like the ad in NW NM, they wanted a Native American person, that is common, they ant Indians to deal with Indians, maybe we should just go back to slavery or posting whites only or asians only.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post

this is what you and most people outside New Mexico dont understand, most of us Hispanics in New Mexico and Spanish, like from Spain in Europe, its funny how I just told you we were Spanish then you assumed I was talking about Mexican.

Im not being graded on this and its just a forum so I really dont care how it looks, and why do people always point on spelling errors to people on City Data when they dont like what they read.

and I may live in a border state but I do live in the USA, so I dont wanna learn a new language and I dont have to, Im not gonna put it my time and effort to learn something I dont wanna learn, and anyways I know the basics, I did grow up in NM.

give it time, maybe Tulsa will turn out to be like South TX.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
The first European language spoken in the U.S.A. was Spanish. (Saint Augustine Florida)

Go back to school.

Euro people invented the Spanish language.

Euro Spanish people discovered America, the continent, including the U.S.A.

The USA was colonized by the Spanish first, then the French, and the British last.

I DONT care if Someone speaks French, Spanish or English. All those languages are part of the U.S. culture.

OP: please, go back to school, or just wikipedia search: USA.

History of USA.

learn...dude...LEARN.

this is why foreign people make stupid youtube videos showing how stupid a few U.S. nationals can be.

BTW, if you ever come to F L O R I D A. YOU better speak perfect English and Spanish or you will be unemployed!

and you live in TEXAS a place where Spanish was spoken before English.

Dude...learn about your state´s history. lol...

Before TEXAS was annexed to the UNION, different parts of Texas were colonized by Spain and France, and some where parts of Mexico.

dude.... Im not going back to school just cause you told me too, anyways I know about the history of the US, blah blah blah.

Im of Spanish heritage myself,Im originally from New Mexico, so there you have it on that one.

I dont care if someone speaks French,Spanish or ebonics but you are missing the point.

and so what if Spanish or a Native American language was spoke first, maybe you should learn Navajo, anyways Spanish and other Native Americans languages arent all that important if you live in Iowa or Maine or North Dakota or Alabama, but English is the for the majority of the country.

I dont ever wanna go to Florida, dosent intrest me.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:19 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Really? They can? What if a large company hired white people only?

And....

Lawyer speaks out on Salvation Army suit - Framingham, MA - The MetroWest Daily News
what large company would hire only white people and how does that better serve his clientle?

Language is not a determing factor in what the EEOC constitues as workplace descrimination.

Quote:
Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII), which prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin;
Lets keep this discussion rational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration