Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 06:31 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,353,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
You dont have to learn any other language than the one you speak. But a good point was made, one doesnt learn english in a week, so in the interim...businesses can offer services in the perdominate language spoken in their area.

If I live in Chinatown San Fransico, Ca, and my clientele speak mostly Mandarin, what law or custom says I cant hire employees that can serve their needs? Im not forcing anyone to learn Mandarin, but YES I am favoring people that can speak Mandarin over just "Native English speakers"[what ever that means]. there is no descrimination going on.
You're another one that just doesn't get it. It is about the high influx of illegal alien Spanish speakers that this demand for bi-lingual workers has occured. It isn't about legal immigrants.

As for ethnic business neighborhoods such as Chinatown, I would expect something differently because it isn't about illegal aliens. Most non-Asian Americans wouldn't even want to apply at such places for work. The jobs native English speakers are being discriminated against in the workplace are your regular everyday American jobs including government ones that pay well.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Not if the point is that some people feel that restricting the freedoms of US citizens by limiting the language they are allowed to conduct business in is a 'good' way to go about dealing with the immigration problem.
I never said I was for restricting freedoms. You still continue to miss the point after several attempts. What these businesses are doing is discriminating against mono-lingual English speakers in their hiring practices to gain a buck from illegal alien customers. It is all about greed and unfair hiring practices.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:39 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,367,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I never said I was for restricting freedoms. You still continue to miss the point after several attempts. What these businesses are doing is discriminating against mono-lingual English speakers in their hiring practices to gain a buck from illegal alien customers. It is all about greed.
People are free to be greedy

And hiring bilingual workers is NOT discrimination unless not hiring any worker due to the lack of ANY skill is discrimination.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
People are free to be greedy

And hiring bilingual workers is NOT discrimination unless not hiring any worker due to the lack of ANY skill is discrimination.
Sure they are and they are free to be rude, hateful, mean, etc. It is a moral issue to me, not about freedoms.

You tell me if a bi-lingual worker with less overall skills is hired over a more skilled mono-lingual English speaker isn't discrimination especially if the bi-lingual skill is desired to pander to illegal aliens. If you don't think so then we will just have to agree to disagree.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:56 PM

50,584 posts, read 47,414,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Not really Bilingual people can used for
Sales jobs/Customer Service.
PC Support, Hospitals and etc.
Not all customers speak english clearly. Maybe some people are not comfortable speaking English at certain circumstances.

I went out learned spanish and now make around $1300 a check. Maybe my opinion is bias. Just saying. B itching about it is not helping now and wont in the future.
Learning English is part of becoming a US Citizen, do you get that? I can understand that people may still want to speak whatever language they are most comfortable with but to DEMAND your work force cater to a certain language has gotten way out of hand. We are talking about a part of Society that CANNOT SPEAK ENGLISH, not that they prefer not to, they CAN'T. Get it? And the biggest portion of these people snuck across our border. Visa workers usually are fluent in English.

We aren't talking about millions of refugees people, these are criminal trespassers businesses are trying to make money from. I'm way ok with huge fines for businesses that think they need to rely on criminals for support.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 07-15-2010 at 07:04 PM..

Old 07-15-2010, 07:40 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,367,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Learning English is part of becoming a US Citizen, do you get that?
No. That is not true.

American citizens are born every day into this country who will never speak English and will grow up to be contributing members of society. I'm not talking about any 'anchor babies' or such nonsense.

Quote:
I can understand that people may still want to speak whatever language they are most comfortable with but to DEMAND your work force cater to a certain language has gotten way out of hand. We are talking about a part of Society that CANNOT SPEAK ENGLISH, not that they prefer not to, they CAN'T. Get it? And the biggest portion of these people snuck across our border. Visa workers usually are fluent in English.
How many people are enraged by these jobs asking for bilingual applicants.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:46 PM

11,765 posts, read 14,715,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Where the hell did I say that? I didn't!
Here's what you said:

Quote:
So native American English speakers should be denied jobs to placate new immigrants or illegal aliens that can't speak the language . . .
In other words, you are claiming that ads for bilingual speakers are denying jobs to native speakers of English.

That's just not true, no matter how many different ways you try to say it.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:47 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,032,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Learning English is part of becoming a US Citizen, do you get that?
ROFL..REALLY?
I dont think so.

eh whatever. I made my opinion I don't have a problem with it.
If you people got a problem with bilinguals do something about it. I just accepted it, I made the change and like I said before, I now make more money.
It's one extra skill.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:02 PM

50,584 posts, read 47,414,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
ROFL..REALLY?
I dont think so.

eh whatever. I made my opinion I don't have a problem with it.
If you people got a problem with bilinguals do something about it. I just accepted it, I made the change and like I said before, I now make more money.
It's one extra skill.

You became a naturalized Citizen without learning English and are not a refugee? Please, fill us in.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:41 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,660,737 times
Quote:
No. That is not true.

American citizens are born every day into this country who will never speak English and will grow up to be contributing members of society. I'm not talking about any 'anchor babies' or such nonsense.
Yes, it is true.

How are they gonna be schooled in any other language than English?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration