Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 05:11 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,942,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't think you understand Caucuses. Membership in a Caucus does not mean that you advocate only for a specific cause. For heaven's sake, there was a 4-H Caucus. I don't think the Congressmen who belonged to that Caucus advocated only for 4-H members. Here's a list of the literally hundreds of Caucuses that have been formed by Congressional members.

Caucuses of the United States Congress - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I understand what Caucuses are and how many there are. However, if you read what the Hispanic caucus states, (here I'll copy it again), then I don't agree that any good can come from it:

The function of the Caucus is to serve as a forum for the Hispanic Members of Congress to coalesce around a collective legislative agenda. The Caucus is dedicated to voicing and advancing, through the legislative process, issues affecting Hispanics in the United States and Puerto Rico.

You can read the whole racist (or ethnic) thing here:

Welcome Message | Representative Nydia Velazquez | Representing the District of (http://chc.velazquez.house.gov/about/welcome-message.shtml - broken link)

This is what makes America a very divisive nation and creates polarization within the country. It's not about being an American, it's about being specifically Hispanic in the United States and Puerto Rico. This group is about Hispanics in Congress advancing Hispanics. And yes, Hispanics are also Americans, but not all Americans are, or can (nor should they have to) become, Hispanic. That is what makes it divisive.

Last edited by AlabamaStorm; 09-16-2010 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 05:23 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,331,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreXican View Post
It seems with each passing day that Obama is distancing himself more and more from the American people.
That is because he hates the American people.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:11 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,336,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
I understand what Caucuses are and how many there are. However, if you read what the Hispanic caucus states, (here I'll copy it again), then I don't agree that any good can come from it:

The function of the Caucus is to serve as a forum for the Hispanic Members of Congress to coalesce around a collective legislative agenda. The Caucus is dedicated to voicing and advancing, through the legislative process, issues affecting Hispanics in the United States and Puerto Rico.

You can read the whole racist (or ethnic) thing here:

Welcome Message | Representative Nydia Velazquez | Representing the District of (http://chc.velazquez.house.gov/about/welcome-message.shtml - broken link)

This is what makes America a very divisive nation and creates polarization within the country. It's not about being an American, it's about being specifically Hispanic in the United States and Puerto Rico. This group is about Hispanics in Congress advancing Hispanics. And yes, Hispanics are also Americans, but not all Americans are, or can (nor should they have to) become, Hispanic. That is what makes it divisive.
Excellent post! Another thing I might add is that these Hispanic Caucuses and advocacy groups are aligning themselves with illegal aliens of like ethnicity rather than with their fellow Americans and the laws of this country. You're right it is dividing our country along ethnic lines.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
No, I'm not mixing apples with oranges. There are hundreds of Caucuses. The only thing a Caucus needs is for people to have something in common. Do you have a problem with an Irish Caucus? Or a Baptist Caucus? Or a Left-Handers Caucus?
What I have a problem with is ethnic/race based organizations. A Baptist nor a left-hander encompasses a certain ethnic/racial group.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:50 PM

660 posts, read 1,399,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
It is really amazing, unemployment is almost 10% and he is worrying about the illegals.
Obama's an ineffective President who will go down in History with Jimmy Carter as another waste of a good four years.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:42 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,938,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
What I have a problem with is ethnic/race based organizations. A Baptist nor a left-hander encompasses a certain ethnic/racial group.
A Baptist group certainly wouldn't encompass Catholics or Presbyterians or Hindus or any number of other religious groups. I would think that since your argument tends to be about eliminating bias from government, that you would actually be concerned about any bias. But evidently it is ONLY racial/ethnic bias that causes you concern. Not religious bias. Not political bias. Not sexual bias. This doesn't seem logical to me. What makes ethnic bias worse than religious bias? It's about advancing one group's interests over those of other groups, isn't it? That's bias, right? So if it was the Gay Rights Caucus, is that acceptable? More acceptable or less acceptable than the Baptist Caucus? How about the Men's Health Caucus? Shouldn't they be equally concerned with EVERYONE's health? Is the Scottish Caucus worse or better than the Hispanic Caucus?

Old 09-17-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
A Baptist group certainly wouldn't encompass Catholics or Presbyterians or Hindus or any number of other religious groups. I would think that since your argument tends to be about eliminating bias from government, that you would actually be concerned about any bias. But evidently it is ONLY racial/ethnic bias that causes you concern. Not religious bias. Not political bias. Not sexual bias. This doesn't seem logical to me. What makes ethnic bias worse than religious bias? It's about advancing one group's interests over those of other groups, isn't it? That's bias, right? So if it was the Gay Rights Caucus, is that acceptable? More acceptable or less acceptable than the Baptist Caucus? How about the Men's Health Caucus? Shouldn't they be equally concerned with EVERYONE's health? Is the Scottish Caucus worse or better than the Hispanic Caucus?
The difference it that ethnic/race advocacy groups smacks of "racist" bias. Gay Rights, Bapitists or none of the others you mention has anything to do with race or ethnicity as anyone can be gay or a Baptist.

I would classify the Scottish Caucus as being as biased as the Hispanic Caucus. We don't need the diviseness of race/ethnicity in this country. You are confusing ideas, religion and lifestyle with race/ethnicity.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
The difference it that ethnic/race advocacy groups smacks of "racist" bias. Gay Rights, Bapitists or none of the others you mention has anything to do with race or ethnicity as anyone can be gay or a Baptist.

I would classify the Scottish Caucus as being as biased as the Hispanic Caucus. We don't need the diviseness of race/ethnicity in this country. You are confusing ideas, religion and lifestyle with race/ethnicity.
No. I'm asking you why religious bias is okay, but ethnic bias is not okay?

You are evidently giving some biases a pass, and others not. I'm asking why?

Is it okay to discriminate on the basis of religion? On the basis of gender?

Old 09-17-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
No. I'm asking you why religious bias is okay, but ethnic bias is not okay?

You are evidently giving some biases a pass, and others not. I'm asking why?

Is it okay to discriminate on the basis of religion? On the basis of gender?
I already answered your question. Religion and gender have nothing to do with race/ethnicity. Therefore there is no race bias in them as all races/ethnicities are included in them. I don't know how to make it any clearer for you.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I already answered your question. Religion and gender have nothing to do with race/ethnicity. Therefore there is no race bias in them as all races/ethnicities are included in them. I don't know how to make it any clearer for you.
Agreed, religion bias and gender bias have nothing to do with race/ethnicity.

And asking again, don't know how to make it any clearer to YOU, is religious bias and gender bias okay?

Why is religious bias okay, but ethnic bias is not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration