Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 08:49 AM

2 posts, read 1,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I am also a mother, and I certainly don’t support the DREAM Act. This is just more pro-illegal propaganda. Next, they’ll say you can’t be a “real” mother unless you support this garbage.

I love children, but that doesn’t mean I must support amnesty for every illegal alien under the age of 35. The last time I checked, people 18 and over are considered adults. This must be the “children” classification exclusive to illegal aliens. Apparently they don’t reach adulthood until they turn 35.

I love children too and i support the dream act becuase EVERY child deserves to dream. Why deny them that opportunity? becuase they are illegal, think of a better excuse people, please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 08:58 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,781,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVero94 View Post
I love children too and i support the dream act becuase EVERY child deserves to dream. Why deny them that opportunity? becuase they are illegal, think of a better excuse people, please!
They can dream in their own country of course. We're not the free college for the entire world now I hope. That's stupid.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:18 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,335,879 times
Quote:
Let em dream in their own country. We have enough on our plate taking care of our own.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:25 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,482,900 times
What's so awful about the DREAM act, or even some version thereof? The requirements for obtaining citizenship under this Act seem to require far more of people than a lot of Americans have accomplished. I doubt that many citizen-posters here could pass a citizenship test.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:46 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,335,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
What's so awful about the DREAM act, or even some version thereof? The requirements for obtaining citizenship under this Act seem to require far more of people than a lot of Americans have accomplished. I doubt that many citizen-posters here could pass a citizenship test.
Is this like a similar lame argument that Americans shouldn't complain about illegal immigration if they ever had a speeding ticket?

Most of our young Americans fresh out of school probably could pass a citizenship test but some of our older Americans perhaps not as they have been out of school for awhile and you tend to forget some of the things taught in school when you are out in the real world just trying to make a living to survive.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Because it's all about rewarding people for breaking the laws of this country. And why exactly should foreigners living here illegally be given free university educations to the universities of their choice? Why should they be given financial aid while Americans are denied it? Even if the parents had plenty of money to pay cartel groups to smuggle the kids over the border.

Also it requires lies. These people will insist there are no colleges back in their own country but in fact there are. They can attend college back home.

That's not what they want, they want it handed to them on a silver platter by the American taxpayers.

The other lie is that the illegals will insist that they only come to do the low paying hard work jobs no American wants to do but then we find out they really want the free university educations so they can have the high paying jobs Americans do want.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
The requirements for obtaining citizenship under this Act seem to require far more of people than a lot of Americans have accomplished. I doubt that many citizen-posters here could pass a citizenship test.
Another lie. All it requires is that their parents smuggled them in by age 16 and that they either stayed in a free lunch school until graduation or they dropped out and took a GED test - and those are offered in Spanish of course. The requirements are almost as non-existent as you can get.

(D) the alien, at the time of application, has been admitted to an institution of higher education in the United States, or has earned a high school diploma or obtained a general education development certificate in the United States

Old 11-11-2010, 11:17 AM

(A) the alien has been physically present in the United States for a continuous period of not less than 5 years immediately preceding the date of enactment of this Act, and had not yet reached the age of 16 years at the time of initial entry

And nothing in the so-called Dream Act says that the alien or his parents would be required to pay for the college they demand. This would be the taxpayers who may not have money to send their own kids to college, but will have to provide free college to the illegals.

Illegals have the option to go to college already. They can return home, often the home country - like Mexico has tuitionless universities. Or they can go home and apply to come as legal foreign students and pay the foreign student tuition rate.

How fair is it that those who abide by the laws are charged extra but those who break the laws expect everything free of charge?

Old 11-12-2010, 06:13 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,583,589 times
Quote:
Quote:
Have either of you read the bill? The “M” acronym in the DREAM Act represents “minors.” How many minors will be attending college or joining our military? The bill will also legalize illegal alien children between the ages of 12-17 who are enrolled in primary or secondary school. Please explain how we can legalize minors without also legalizing their parents whom they rely on for support.

Quote:
(2) is at least 12 years of age; and

(3) is enrolled full time in a primary or secondary school.
Furthermore, none of the DREAMies will be required to actually earn a BS/BA, because the requirement is 2 years of college, a high school diploma, or GED. How will that benefit this country?

Quote:
(ii) has earned a high school diploma or obtained a general education development certificate in the United States;
If they can prove a hardship, they won’t have to fulfill ANY of the requirements. How many millions will qualify for that?

Quote:
(iii) demonstrates that the alien's removal from the United States would result in exceptional and extremely unusual hardship to the alien or the alien's spouse, parent, or child who is a citizen or a lawful permanent resident of the United States.
Moreover, who will even monitor this program to ensure they are attending school? If we can’t keep track of tourist visas, do you actually believe the DREAM Act will be enforced? Also, unlike foreigners who are here legally attending college, DREAMies will be permitted to work. How is that fair to law-abiding foreign students?

Quote:
(c) Employment- An alien whose removal is stayed pursuant to subsection (b) may be engaged in employment in the United States consistent with the Fair Labor Standards Act (29 U.S.C. 201 et seq.) and State and local laws governing minimum age for employment.
This bill would even legalize criminals due to the language in the bill regarding “good moral character.”

Quote:
(B) the alien has been a person of good moral character since the date of the enactment of this Act;
They will also be legalized immediately. The completion simply makes them eligible for a path to citizenship. In the meantime, they will be permitted to remain here, permitted to work, will continue to give birth, and may never complete the requirements. The bill is a farce, period.

Illegals can fulfill their dreams elsewhere. Despite their illegal status, we have generously provided a tax-funded K-12 education. If that’s not enough, so be it.

Bill Text - 111th Congress (2009-2010) - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

Last edited by Benicar; 11-12-2010 at 06:39 AM..

Old 11-12-2010, 06:41 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,248,185 times
Quote:
We owe every legal citizen the opprotunity We don't owe a sigle illegal anything but accountability.
Its not my fault nor anyone elses fault that the dreamies parents felt our laws didn't apply to them.
We deny them nothing. Its their parents who are denying them the dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration