Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2010, 01:06 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,309,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodomonte View Post
Now we must deal with the traitors who voted for it and get them out of Congress.
Agreed.

Congratulations to the country on this day and like I said in the other thread, I hope this scare forces us to be more outspoken about what we feel is justice and fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 01:06 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,871,919 times
Repugs continue to hold the nation hostage with their games. Yet another disgraceful act for them. their deeds won't be forgotten. Tell me again why they block helping the first responders in NYC?
If they keep it up they will get a backlash they won't expect.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:09 PM

50,414 posts, read 47,155,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Repugs continue to hold the nation hostage with their games. Yet another disgraceful act for them. their deeds won't be forgotten. Tell me again why they block helping the first responders in NYC?
What about the Dems that voted it down? What does illegal aliens have to do with Republicans?

Old 12-18-2010, 01:09 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,549,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Some where since then we've realized we cannot support the World. Ever heard of a stall stuff? We've had immigration laws for quite some time now.

This is a play right out of the move Avatar. We have been heard, now we just need to send them packing. We do more for other Nations than any other on the planet. It doesn't always have to be "let them in".
Nobody said we were supporting the world. All we're doing is taking the disaffected, the unhappy, the downtrodden, those whose futures have been restricted by wherever they came from, for whatever reason.

It was precisely those people who made America great, who fueled the western migration, who opened us to possibilities we'd never imagined by their industriousness, their will to succeed, to make of themselves something they never could have been where they came from. Those kind of people ARE America! They were our history and they are our future.

For a counterpoint, take a look at what became of Japan when they closed themselves off from foreigners for a few hundred years.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:10 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,488,299 times
Quote:
Two separate issues. I support the defeat of the so-called "Dream Act" but condemn the first responders vote, just like many Dims support Obama's stance on certain issues, but condemn his recent tax-cut support.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:11 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,309,958 times
I'm actually pretty sad to see that it even came that close. With that said, we got a lot of work to do to present our case to Washington legislators and the country. That is WAY too close for something as serious and future-changing as this bill.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:11 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,994,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
I believe it was a vote to end debate. Now they can continue to debate it as long as they want. They just can't vote on it.
Brilliant!

Quote:
You should be angry at the 6 democrats who voted against it. If would have passed if not for their no votes.

A perfect example of bipartisanship to torpedo a back door amnesty plan by the Left.

Fortunately, the vast majority of Americans agree with the outcome.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:12 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,120,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
How do we do that without amending the Constitution to redefine citizenship as something other than someone born here? Do you REALLY want to do that? If so, what definition would you like?

Excellent idea...but, how? We have over 12,000 miles of border, including coasts (more if you include Alaska and our territories). How would you do that? Please be as specific as you can. What resources would you use? Where would they come from? How would you pay for it?

Isn't that what the Dream Act was supposed to do?
Why can't it be as simple as "get caught, you're on a bus back to your native land"? No due process since they're not even citizens or legal aliens who are entitled to rights afforded by our Constitution. If we start cracking down on both individuals and businesses that hire illegals, that reduces the interest the Mexicans have in coming here illegally and takes away at least some of the incentive. Right now, they know they can basically get away with it if they can just get across the border. They are KILLING PEOPLE to get across the border.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:13 PM

50,414 posts, read 47,155,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I'm actually pretty sad to see that it even came that close. With that said, we got a lot of work to do to present our case to Washington legislators and the country. That is WAY too close for something as serious and future-changing as this bill.
I'd bet there were some swing votes from people that knew it would fail in hopes of later getting their votes from the mostly Latino DREAMIE backers.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:13 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,464,731 times
Santa Did give us what we all wanted didn't he, Santa can come to town anytime. Anyone know who the 5 votes went to yet, i am curious. Yeah Yeah Yeah, this is really great news, Dirty Harry, ain't as Dirty as he thinks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration