Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 09:27 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,327,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Well, apparently the gov't has decided it's too expensive.
Then they failed miserably at math and we will all pay in the long run. It is much cheaper to take criminals and immigration lawbreakers off our streets and deport them then to let them run amok. Not only that but they are breaking their oath of office by not upholding the laws of this country and seeing that all lawbreakers pay the applicable fine for their crimes. With illegal immigration it is detain and deport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 09:31 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,960,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Obama has deported more Illegals than even Bush
Source? That'd be an interesting article to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Disagree again. I have no problem whatsover being pulled over for a license check or any other kind of check by LE. The little inconvenience from it pays off in getting criminals off our streets. I have nothing to hide, so big deal.
Neither do I, but kudos to you for your stance on it.

I liken it to airport security. 99.999999% of people that go through it are not terrorists. Just like 99.999999% of people who are stopped at a checkpoint are not in violation of the law. I personally don't want the government (including LE) looking at me at every turn.

If eradication is the goal, I have yet to see the results (but then again, I live in a sanctuary city).

Old 12-23-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Then they failed miserably at math and we will all pay in the long run. It is much cheaper to take criminals and immigration lawbreakers off our streets and deport them then to let them run amok. Not only that but they are breaking their oath of office by not upholding the laws of this country and seeing that all lawbreakers pay the applicable fine for their crimes. With illegal immigration it is detain and deport.
Where would the money to do so come from? Tax increases? How much do you think it would cost to deport each illegal?

I think both political parties have a horse in the race for keeping them here.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:48 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,442,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Escondido has it right with check points and impounding cars.
Yes, maybe to catch them driving w/o a DL.(after the fact), But that doesn't necissarily STOP them.

I've been through some of those points down there.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:57 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,573,570 times
Quote:
I would rather have licensed, insured, and documented drivers out on the road, personally. The idea of having unqualified drivers out on the road seems more dangerous to me than the fact that there are people here without papers.

Until illegals start getting deported, the legality of their presence is a fairly moot point since they aren't getting punished for it.
I doubt the issuance of a driver’s license will make our roads safer, given the prevalence of illegals guilty of DUI vehicular manslaughter. As for insurance and “documented drivers,” once they get their DL, many quickly drop their insurance. Remember, they don’t believe our laws are applicable to them. Moreover, do we actually know their identities, considering they regularly use several aliases? More often than not, the address and birth date on their DL are also bogus.

I agree with your last sentence. Our laws MUST be enforced. No more “separating families” excuses. If caught here illegally, they should be summarily deported. They should not be detained for months/years pending a hearing; particularly, since taxpayers must foot the bill, including non-emergency medical treatment.

It’s absurd that illegals caught entering this country by BP are "entitled" to a hearing to plead their case. There is no doubt they entered illegally, so it’s simply a waste of taxpayers’ hard-earned money. Unfortunately, as long as our borders remain porous, illegals laugh at deportation. They consider it a free trip to visit relatives, and return within a week. We can’t afford to keep squandering money on illegals. They must be deported and prevented from returning, by any means necessary.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I doubt the issuance of a driver’s license will make our roads safer, given the prevalence of illegals guilty of DUI vehicular manslaughter. As for insurance and “documented drivers,” once they get their DL, many quickly drop their insurance. Remember, they don’t believe our laws are applicable to them. Moreover, do we actually know their identities, considering they regularly use several aliases? More often than not, the address and birth date on their DL are also bogus.
Some of the statements above are broad, but the only point I was making re: this, is that encouraging them to hide will only make them hide more. They aren't going to self-deport as long as they can still be here. Fingerprinting and documenting them would be a good first step in finding out who they are, where they are (req: proof of address), what they are doing, and let the gov't do with that info what they wish.

Yes, I know they use several aliases. When I was a kid, my mother had a "Daniel Pichardo" and a "Oscar Pichardo" living with us for a bit. Same guy. He was Honduran!

I remember one time, I answered the phone, and the guy on the other end asked for Oscar Pichardo, and I said "No Oscar Pichardo lives here.", and as I was about to hang up, the guy I only knew as "Daniel" comes running up and said, "No! No! No! That's me!". I was a confused young man at that moment.

Other fun ones:
-a Rafael that went by Vicente at his other job.
-a Jesus that upon getting pulled over by the cops was suddenly Alejandro
-there was a guy that I worked with at one Denny's (we'll call him Juan, I don't remember his name), and when I saw him come to work at another Denny's I had started working at, I went up to him and said, "Hi, Juan!", he then got angry and pulled me aside and said, "callate guey, mi nombre es Timoteo aqui" (shut up dummy, my name is Timoteo here).

It'd be harder for them to lead double lives if they were documented in some fashion (not legalized).

Quote:
I agree with your last sentence. Our laws MUST be enforced. No more “separating families” excuses. If caught here illegally, they should be summarily deported. They should not be detained for months/years pending a hearing; particularly, since taxpayers must foot the bill, including non-emergency medical treatment.

It’s absurd that illegals caught entering this country by BP are "entitled" to a hearing to plead their case. There is no doubt they entered illegally, so it’s simply a waste of taxpayers’ hard-earned money. Unfortunately, as long as our borders remain porous, illegals laugh at deportation. They consider it a free trip to visit relatives, and return within a week. We can’t afford to keep squandering money on illegals.
Your government hard at work, folks.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Some of the statements above are broad, but the only point I was making re: this, is that encouraging them to hide will only make them hide more. They aren't going to self-deport as long as they can still be here. Fingerprinting and documenting them would be a good first step in finding out who they are, where they are (req: proof of address), what they are doing, and let the gov't do with that info what they wish.

Yes, I know they use several aliases. When I was a kid, my mother had a "Daniel Pichardo" and a "Oscar Pichardo" living with us for a bit. Same guy. He was Honduran!

I remember one time, I answered the phone, and the guy on the other end asked for Oscar Pichardo, and I said "No Oscar Pichardo lives here.", and as I was about to hang up, the guy I only knew as "Daniel" comes running up and said, "No! No! No! That's me!". I was a confused young man at that moment.
I agree, when caught, they should be fingerprinted. However, I believe any measure that facilitates their illegal lifestyle simply undermines our immigration laws. If we MUST issue documents, at the very least, the documents should clearly state, ILLEGAL ALIEN.

Quote:
Other fun ones:
-a Rafael that went by Vicente at his other job.
-a Jesus that upon getting pulled over by the cops was suddenly Alejandro
-there was a guy that I worked with at one Denny's (we'll call him Juan, I don't remember his name), and when I saw him come to work at another Denny's I had started working at, I went up to him and said, "Hi, Juan!", he then got angry and pulled me aside and said, "callate guey, mi nombre es Timoteo aqui" (shut up dummy, my name is Timoteo here).
You think that’s bad, they recently arrested an illegal (I think from the DR) who had several aliases, purchased 3 or 4 luxury cars, lived in subsidized housing, received food stamps, and had a valid DC driver’s license. In addition, he had thousands of dollars in an account at Bank of America.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
If we MUST issue documents, at the very least, the documents should clearly state, ILLEGAL ALIEN.
Fine by me.

Quote:
You think that’s bad, they recently arrested an illegal (I think from the DR) who had several aliases, purchased 3 or 4 luxury cars, lived in subsidized housing, received food stamps, and had a valid DC driver’s license. In addition, he had thousands of dollars in an account at Bank of America.
Wow. He could probably write the "Dummies" book.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:02 AM

My mistake. He isn’t from the Dominican Republic, he’s from Panama. I also forgot he’s a murderer.

Quote:
A Panamanian murderer who escaped a prison in the Central American country has been captured in the District, where authorities say he used a fake Social Security card to obtain federally subsidized housing and cruised around town in three luxury cars.

Barrera reportedly told authorities he entered the United States by sneaking in through Mexico, the affidavit said.
http://washingtonexaminer.com/local/dc/panamanian-murderer-caught-dc-lived-federal-subsidies (broken link)

Last edited by Benicar; 12-23-2010 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: To add link.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:33 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,327,939 times
Quote:
Where would the money to do so come from? Tax increases? How much do you think it would cost to deport each illegal?

I think both political parties have a horse in the race for keeping them here.
If we take away any incentives to come here or to remain here they will self-deport. This has been discussed adnauseum in here over and over. Yes, some in both parties do have a reason for keeping them here. We will continue to vote those out of office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration