Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 01:37 AM

30,438 posts, read 52,100,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Well if you appealed it and you could prove it couldn't possibly have been YOUR earnings, why are you saying you will "now owe taxes" on those earnings? Because THAT is what you told us - that someone used your SSN fraudulently and now you "will owe taxes" on those earnings.
Hmmmm... yeah, I guess that's why I assumed she hadn't reported it.

My mother was a victim of identity theft, through means she didn't know about until after the fact (somebody intercepted an online credit card transaction)... but she reported the charges immediately, with proof the charges weren't hers, and they never made her pay them back. So if you follow proper procedures, I guess the authorities DON'T hold the victim responsible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 01:41 AM

26 posts, read 40,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The part about the "fancy cars" is a dead giveaway. It's been done to death when talking about any group you don't like and want to vilify with unsubstantiated outrages (illegals, welfare recipients, etc.) and debunked a thousand times over.

That's what.

Your not wrong to "feel" whatever you like, I just think your reasoning is questionable.
Please. Perhaps I should have taken pictures to prove it to you? Allow me to clarify: while I was there, some people were driving cars and trucks that cost in excess of 20,000 USD. I didn't say BMWs or Mercedes, but if you cannot afford healthcare, how can you afford this car? Please do not tell me that this never happens, because I know that it does.

I would not vilify welfare recipients as a whole; in fact, for a part of my childhood and a brief time in adulthood, I was the recipient or beneficiary of food stamps. Don't assume things about me.

PS: There were people of other races/backgrounds/etc. who had cars which I would also consider fancy. However, this topic is not about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I don't know the specifics, but you can just "walk" to Mexico and stay there... I've walked to Mexico myself, and was never asked to return at any point. Also lots of US-born San Diegans live in Mexico and work here, in order to save money. Anyone who's been near the border at rush-hour knows this, so I'm assuming you haven't actually crossed the border yourself.

No, but how do you know it was an "illegal?" Could have just been a scam-artist, identity thief, somebody escaping the law, dodging the IRS, etc. You do realize Americans break the law too, right?? I realize this happens with illegal people too, but to assume they were the culprits is questionable indeed.

How do you know they were all illegal? If it's solely because they were speaking Spanish, then yes - you are quite possibly a racist. That sounds more like an issue of welfare abuse, if anything, and has nothing to with nationality. In fact, I'd imagine the majority of welfare abusers are American-born, based on my own personal observations.

As for the rest of your comments, I don't think they make you a racist necessarily... but I'd certainly question your motivations, and suggest you consider a private school for your children. I'd also suggest not moving to Arizona, which sits right on top of Mexico. LOL.
-I have crossed the border. I did not say I can't live in Mexico, so please don't twist my words. Please go back and re-read my statement ALONG WITH THE QUALIFIERS and let me know if I can go to Mexico and do that. If I can, please let me know if I can gather a few million people and we can all do it together.

-Look, if it walks like a duck...I have done the investigation on my case and I have relative in AZ who were able to help me to identify the perp. An illegal immigrant fraudulently used my SS#. What is so terrible you admitting that? Of COURSE Americans break the law...the difference is, if an American stole my SS # you wouldn't be debating me over this. It was wrong.

Also, I have already lived in Phoenix and I am well aware of its geographic location. Perhaps YOU (and several million others) were not aware that there is a border?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
It's based on your assumption with no statistics, Besides, this isn't about Americans, it's about illegal aliens.
So get with the program.
THANK YOU! I am so frustrated because I cannot understand why I am the one who is WRONG here? We can better track American welfare abusers because they are not so below the radar and are documented. I NEVER said that only illegal immigrants commit welfare fraud, and I NEVER said that Americans do not do so. I never even said the people at the clinic were, in fact, illegal. I stated my observations and asked why you don't have to have proof of legal resident status to get government benefits...how is that racist?

Quote:
Here's one article about CA welfare fraud, and I'm sure I could find more... these don't sound like cases of illegal immigrants receiving welfare, it sounds like citizens abusing their benefits. Welfare Fraud Stories
OF COURSE some American citizens abuse their benefits! But that is not the topic of this this thread...

Old 12-31-2010, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Go back and read what my response was in refrence to.
I did, and still don't see how my response was irrelevant... please explain.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:48 AM

Quote:
You shouldn't have to... but if you assume a large immigrant population means the kids won't be learning, you are being unfair. I've worked in heavily Latino-immigrant school districts, and found the typical discrepancies you'd find in any other school. Those who were struggling with English were put into special ESL classes, the "average" kids were in regular classes, and the "high-performing" kids were usually in AP or Honor's classes. Even if 50% of the students speak Spanish as their first language, the schools will still ensure everyone is in the appropriate class settings.

P.S. Young kids learn languages VERY quickly, so even if their parents only speak Spanish, the children would usually be fluent in English within a year... you have NO idea how many times I've used a student to translate for their parents, as my Spanish is only so-so at this point.

I DIDN'T SAY THEY WOULDN'T BE LEARNING because of immigrants! When did I say anything like that? I said slowed down or altered in some other way because children who do not speak English may not understand the English based curriculum! My oldest will be in kindergarten, where would these 5 year old children of illegal immigrants learn English if they have been with their parents? What is kindergarten AP? They may not know it, therefore the class may or may not (I am talking about possibilities) have to be slowed down or altered. I don't know how else to say it.

And please, I want to be clear that I feel this way about illegal immigrants. Not "latino immigrants" as you are trying to imply. Don't do that, it slants my words and makes it seem as though I am saying I don't want to be around Mexicans/Latinos (which is NOT the case).

Old 12-31-2010, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsYoungMommy View Post
Please. Perhaps I should have taken pictures to prove it to you? Allow me to clarify: while I was there, some people were driving cars and trucks that cost in excess of 20,000 USD. I didn't say BMWs or Mercedes, but if you cannot afford healthcare, how can you afford this car? Please do not tell me that this never happens, because I know that it does.
Okay, here's some food for thought... I have never been "poor" or on welfare, born in the United States (3rd generation), and usually drive a pretty nice car. I used to go to the county health office, only because I didn't have insurance while in college, and my dad's plan dropped me at age 21 - I very rarely see a doctor, so it was easier to use a walk-in clinic with flat cash rates. Something like $20-30 for a simple strep test, as opposed to paying $250/mo for insurance I never used? Seemed like a good plan to me!

I've since learned it's better to have insurance, just in case of something catastrophic, but used those free clinics for most of my college & grad school years. Would you assume I was a welfare abuser or illegal, solely because I was using a free clinic and driving a nice car? If so you'd be wrong, as you could be wrong about the people at this clinic you describe... some people just prefer the ease & low cost of a clinic, especially when they don't have expensive regular medical needs. And no, I was never asked to prove my citizenship when I used them - but they did ask for some form of ID.

Quote:
OF COURSE some American citizens abuse their benefits! But that is not the topic of this this thread...
Actually, it is relevant to the subject - and the fact you don't see a correlation is what makes me question your motivation. Let me explain... you looked around a parking lot and lobby, saw nice cars and jewelry, heard Spanish being spoken, and thus concluded you were surrounded by illegal immigrants cheating the system. My point was that many LEGAL citizens "cheat the system" and/or use free clinics despite being legal, so you were making assumptions based on surface observations. You can't know who was legal or illegal, so I wonder how you came to those conclusions? Care to expand on what led you to know their immigration status?

Old 12-31-2010, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsYoungMommy View Post
I DIDN'T SAY THEY WOULDN'T BE LEARNING because of immigrants! When did I say anything like that? I said slowed down or altered in some other way because children who do not speak English may not understand the English based curriculum! My oldest will be in kindergarten, where would these 5 year old children of illegal immigrants learn English if they have been with their parents? What is kindergarten AP? They may not know it, therefore the class may or may not (I am talking about possibilities) have to be slowed down or altered. I don't know how else to say it.

And please, I want to be clear that I feel this way about illegal immigrants. Not "latino immigrants" as you are trying to imply. Don't do that, it slants my words and makes it seem as though I am saying I don't want to be around Mexicans/Latinos (which is NOT the case).
Not learning = slowing down their learning = pretty much the same thing.

Your OP says you "asked him where in the suburbs of Phoenix could I find a district where there was not a high concentration of illegal children who don't speak much English because I don't want my child to be stuck in a class that moves more slowly in order to help children who don't understand."

So I ask, how does he know the number of illegal immigrants, and how could he distinguish those from legal immigrants who speak Spanish at home? It's not like they register as illegal, LOL. I've lived in areas with high concentrations of Spanish-speaking immigrants, even taught in these areas, and still couldn't tell you who held a green card or not. So you were basically asking your brother to answer an impossible question, which is probably why he became angry with you.

And again, speaking English or not isn't a direct indication of one's immigration status... that seems to be the main point you're missing, and why you can't understand how others could see you as racist. We have lots of people who ONLY speak Chinese around here, but I don't assume they're illegal - I just assume they either prefer speaking their native language, or were too old to bother learning by the time they immigrated. See the difference in how you & I would view the situation? You keep talking about "ENGLISH SPEAKING" but plenty of legal immigrants don't speak English either.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Well if you appealed it and you could prove it couldn't possibly have been YOUR earnings, why are you saying you will "now owe taxes" on those earnings? Because THAT is what you told us - that someone used your SSN fraudulently and now you "will owe taxes" on those earnings.
Quote:
Hmmmm... yeah, I guess that's why I assumed she hadn't reported it.

My mother was a victim of identity theft, through means she didn't know about until after the fact (somebody intercepted an online credit card transaction)... but she reported the charges immediately, with proof the charges weren't hers, and they never made her pay them back. So if you follow proper procedures, I guess the authorities DON'T hold the victim responsible.
I will be more clear. I once lived in AZ, so my appeal process is not as cut and dry as "I've never been there". Additionally, I did not work in my current state for much of this year due to pregnancy complications so I don't have proof of "well, I was working here at the time". I have begun the appeal process, and there is a hold/watch on my SS # from this point, but that does not do anything about past fraudulent actions. I am running into a lot of bureaucratic nonsense that is typical of large government orgs, and I fear that the issue will not be resolved before April. If it is not, I am afraid I will have to pay the taxes rather than face the penalty for filing late. So it's a little more complicated than a fake CC charge. Thanks for the concern, though.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:59 AM

P.S. If your kid's in kindergarten, you really have little to worry about... as I said earlier, young children learn languages VERY quickly, especially at the kindergarten age. My niece is in pre-school, and already speaks Portuguese (just from having Portuguese daycare instructors from age 0-3), English, and a little Hebrew. So if your kid is in kindergarten with Spanish-speaking kids, I can pretty much guarantee they'll all be speaking English in a matter of months. Why not just ask which schools are high-performing, rather than specifically asking about the illegal population?

Old 12-31-2010, 01:59 AM

Quote:
I said it was an assumption, and therefore I was not making any definitive statements... but I can find statistics if you'd like, which I doubt the OP could to back up her assumptions. And this is about Americans, since I imagine many of those "SUV-driving, gold necklace wearing" patients were in fact Americans. So it's okay for her to assume they're all illegal, but not okay for me to point out they might not be? How is this not a logical argument? Nice try.
Please quote where I said they were illegal. Thanks.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:05 AM

18 posts, read 18,199 times
Here's the bottom line on all of this. "Illegal" immigrants from Mexico are a disgrace. They commit so much crime not reported by the media that it's ridiculous. I'd never send my kids to school with a bunch of thugs. Don't listen to the liberals. They're haters. You'll never find them living in an area that's populated with latino's. They're hypocrites. I bet this gizmo guy would start crying his liberal eyes out if he had to live with these animals every day but he doesn't because he's "privileged."

It's almost impossible for any "normal" kid to learn in class with these animals. Your feelings are normal. They never invent anything, they never cure anything and they never help any one. All they do is cause problems for any society they infest. Screw them and screw who ever sticks up for these animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration