Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2011, 09:22 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,873,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Really??? No way!!!! I've been to college AND graduate school, and never realized Mexico was a country!!! No duh, sherlock.

We've already established that Mexican is a nationality, which I've known since like 4th grade... but I asked earlier for a different word, to describe "dislike or ignorance towards people of a certain national origin," and nobody could give me one. So until I find a good word (aside from xenophobia, which was shot down for implying fear), I'll continue calling it racism - it's the same concept, really.

I would surely think that someone that has gone through grad school would know that people that have a dislike for those who take something that doesn't belong to them simply don't like thieves. Thieves come in all races and from all countries. I've known this since before the 4th grade.

I've heard our education system has gone down the tubes...I just didn't realize how far. But it seems to be common now days for kids to get out of school and think they are smart instead of educated. And they don't know the difference so they call it what they want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 01:28 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,461,628 times
Quote:
Really??? No way!!!! I've been to college AND graduate school, and never realized Mexico was a country!!! No duh, sherlock.

We've already established that Mexican is a nationality, which I've known since like 4th grade... but I asked earlier for a different word, to describe "dislike or ignorance towards people of a certain national origin," and nobody could give me one. So until I find a good word (aside from xenophobia, which was shot down for implying fear),
Quote:
I'll continue calling it racism
- it's the same concept, really.
"I'll continue calling it racism"

I continue to call that phrase:

"The Famous Last Words of a Fool"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcNJt...layer_embedded

Last edited by mkfarnam; 01-01-2011 at 02:01 PM..

Old 01-01-2011, 01:42 PM

481 posts, read 945,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
"I'll continue calling it racism"

I continue to call that phrase:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcNJt...layer_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt-f7K_suBc

You were saying? I have a feeling George would not agree with you. And he sang that song the day that 1000's of protestors took to the streets to fight the AZ anti-immigration law.

Viva George Strait!

Old 01-01-2011, 02:24 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,806,156 times
Quote:

We've already established that Mexican is a nationality, which I've known since like 4th grade... but I asked earlier for a different word, to describe "dislike or ignorance towards people of a certain national origin," and nobody could give me one. So until I find a good word (aside from xenophobia, which was shot down for implying fear), I'll continue calling it racism - it's the same concept, really.
How about "people of one country should respect the laws of other countries" - that should work. If I travel to Mexico, I believe I should respect it's laws and it's culture. I believe that Mexicans should respect our laws when they come here.

Also, if I were to want to emigrate to another country, I would want to learn it's language and history and would expect that I should abide by it's laws.

What's racist in that?

Old 01-01-2011, 02:32 PM

Oh, and I taught Multicultural Diversity at UVA and the discrimination, stereotyping, and prejudice of an entire group of people regardless of if they fit into Blumenbach's original idea of race based on physical attributes like craniofacial anthropology and such or if you use the definition of race embraced by anti-immigrationist like Stoddard. In the US we tend to use simply skin color as a deliniation of race. The "paper bag test" or the "one drop rule" had nothing to do with the actual genetic definition of race but the appearance and perception of "race".

So stereotyping someone based on the language they speak, the color of their skin, the country they come from, and their perceived legal status is very much racism.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:08 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,856,127 times
How about stereotyping just on the basis that they are in this country illegally? What would you classify THAT as hmmm?

Old 01-01-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
How about stereotyping just on the basis that they are in this country illegally? What would you classify THAT as hmmm?
How about not stereotyping anyone and treating everyone as an individual. Hmmmmm?

By the way, I am against illegal immigration. But I am more so against a screwed up immigration system that is prejudice and impossible and then placing the entire blame on people who are desperate. I am more against companies who take advantage of people who are here illegally in order to make a huge profit of the backs of their desperation. When those issues get fixed, then I'll start placing the blame and hatred on the people who are just trying to feed their families. How about that? Hmmmm?

I don;t buy that this issue is about the legality and not race. When I see US citizens in camo with guns hunting down compaines who are illegaly profiteering off the backs of desperate people rather then mothers crossing the border, then I will say it's not about racism and about legal issues. When I see American citizens in the stree picketting said companies, then I will say it's about legality and not racism.

Until that day comes, I'm not that ignorant to buy the "it's just cause they are illegal" arguement. Sorry.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:21 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,856,127 times
Okay - here's the stereotype for you - SOME broke our laws to come here but they ALL break our laws DAILY to remain here.

Whether you "buy it" or not, is neither here nor there, the FACT is the majority who are anti illegal immigration are just THAT, regardless of race or country of origin of the illegals.

Too bad the pro illegal apologists like yourself can't "get that".

Old 01-01-2011, 03:37 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,589,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
How about not stereotyping anyone and treating everyone as an individual. Hmmmmm?

By the way, I am against illegal immigration. But I am more so against a screwed up immigration system that is prejudice and impossible and then placing the entire blame on people who are desperate. I am more against companies who take advantage of people who are here illegally in order to make a huge profit of the backs of their desperation. When those issues get fixed, then I'll start placing the blame and hatred on the people who are just trying to feed their families. How about that? Hmmmm?

I don;t buy that this issue is about the legality and not race. When I see US citizens in camo with guns hunting down compaines who are illegaly profiteering off the backs of desperate people rather then mothers crossing the border, then I will say it's not about racism and about legal issues. When I see American citizens in the stree picketting said companies, then I will say it's about legality and not racism.

Until that day comes, I'm not that ignorant to buy the "it's just cause they are illegal" arguement. Sorry.
You don’t have to buy it, for it to be true. Most opponents of illegal immigration don’t give a fat kitty about the race or ethnicity of foreigners who violate our laws. I have often wondered why illegal aliens are the ONLY category of violators for which opposition is considered racism.

BTW, how would you suggest we identify illegal employers? If you have a foolproof method, I would certainly be interested.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:42 PM

50,489 posts, read 47,262,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
Oh, and I taught Multicultural Diversity at UVA and the discrimination, stereotyping, and prejudice of an entire group of people regardless of if they fit into Blumenbach's original idea of race based on physical attributes like craniofacial anthropology and such or if you use the definition of race embraced by anti-immigrationist like Stoddard. In the US we tend to use simply skin color as a deliniation of race. The "paper bag test" or the "one drop rule" had nothing to do with the actual genetic definition of race but the appearance and perception of "race".

So stereotyping someone based on the language they speak, the color of their skin, the country they come from, and their perceived legal status is very much racism.
Learn something new everyday. I didn't know "illegal" was a race.

How about based on how many laws they have broken? I'm sure that might put a twist in your philosophy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration