Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 07:14 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,573,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsYoungMommy View Post
I just have a few points that I want to make, and I would sincerely like to know if I am wrong, bigoted, ignorant, or whatever. I obviously think that I am right but I am open to other opinions. (I am speaking of illegal immigrants from Mexico, but my points could conceivably be applied to an illegal immigrant of any country of origin).

1. Why is it that I cannot just walk over to Mexico and live, expect government help, demand the right to stay, work, receive help for my children and myself, live wherever I want, drive without a license, etc., and have the government and many of the Mexican citizens rally around me in support of my RIGHT to BREAK THE LAW?

I am in school for dentistry, I will be a DDS and I still could not just walk over to Mexico and live (although I have something to offer the country and its citizens). How is this fair or okay?

2. I used to live in Phoenix, AZ. I was the manager of a McDonald's in high school, and I learned spanish to better communicate with my employees and discovered that I liked the language and continued to practice it. Why is it that I chose to learn a language for the benefit of those employees but many illegal immigrants do not feel the need to learn English?

3. I had considered moving back to Phoenix to be near my brother. Since I have a husband and children now, I am concerned about school quality. I called my brother (who is very pro-illegal immigrant because some of them are his friends and because...well, I don't know) and asked him where in the suburbs of Phoenix could I find a district where there was not a high concentration of illegal children who don't speak much English because I don't want my child to be stuck in a class that moves more slowly in order to help children who don't understand. MY BROTHER CALLED ME RACIST AND COULDN'T UNDERSTAND WHY I FELT THAT WAY AND HUNG UP! I am so sorry that I care about my kids' education and I want them to hear the lessons in English and at a normal pace! Am I wrong for that?

4. Someone in Phoenix used my SS# to work. I did not plan for this additional income in my withholding this year and now I will owe taxes. This happens to more people than me, I am sure. Is this okay?

5. I took my cousin to the county health department for a doctor's visit. I saw many cars, pickup trucks, and SUVs that I could never afford. SOME of them were owned by people who did not speak english and came to the clinic for free or low cost health care (I can only speak for the ones I saw getting in and out of the cars and coming to the front desk "No ingles..." I will not make any further assumptions although there could have been more). Many girls had one or two or three kids waiting for the OB clinic with their medical cards, wearing nice shoes, nice purses, and gold nameplate necklaces. HOW in the HELL does that work? There are signs up in the clinic, you can apply for medicaid and foodstamps without answering questions about your immigration status...seriously? I am wrong for thinking that is a HORRIBLE policy?

There is so much more but I didn't want this to be as long as it is, so I will stop. Feedback is appreciated, discuss each scenario and whether I am wrong in my feelings/judgments/whatever.

Thanks.
I come from mexico,you have every right to be concern.when I was in mexico I though the U.S. was a country of laws not like mexico.The U.S. IS CHANGING from a nation of laws to a nation for those who scream the loudest, or should I say those that cry the most!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 07:43 PM

481 posts, read 943,025 times
Y'all are the most insecure group I have come across on this board. Goodness, an educated woman comes along to debate the other side and you all attack like wolves. If it's not being called foolish through the use of country lyrics, then it's my education that's ruffled your frilly panties. I'm not sure which whinny post to respond to first. Not that it matters cause some of you don't really read what I say anyhoo and it's obvious your just label hungry (pro-illegal's...what the heck is that?).

Oh and chicagonut, Stoddard considered himself an anti-immigrationist, so what nonsense are you referring to? Maybe before y'all start espousing this ideology, you should atleast become a little knowledgable about where it came from, no?

Old 01-01-2011, 08:13 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
Y'all are the most insecure group I have come across on this board. Goodness, an educated woman comes along to debate the other side and you all attack like wolves. If it's not being called foolish through the use of country lyrics, then it's my education that's ruffled your frilly panties. I'm not sure which whinny post to respond to first. Not that it matters cause some of you don't really read what I say anyhoo and it's obvious your just label hungry (pro-illegal's...what the heck is that?).

Oh and chicagonut, Stoddard considered himself an anti-immigrationist, so what nonsense are you referring to? Maybe before y'all start espousing this ideology, you should atleast become a little knowledgable about where it came from, no?
Then debate my post oh "educated" one...........you seem to know the meaning of anti-immigration yet the meaning of pro-illegals escapes you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Name me ONE other country in the world that like the USA conducts a Diversity Lottery each year to enable so many people from diverse cultures all around the globe to immigrate LEGALLY to this country?

Spare me the rivers of tears for how UNdiverse this country is that we NEED millions of illegals (who in most cases don't meet the legal criteria btw) swarming in from only ONE ethnic group /sarc off

Old 01-01-2011, 08:26 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,314,848 times
Quote:

We are insecure about what? To want our immigration laws respected and enforced is to be insecure? Guess every country's citizens in the world are insecure then since they want the same thing for their countries.

Someone coming in here flinging the race card should expect to be attacked by the wolves.

Oh, so you use one person's anti-"immigrant" sentiments (link please) as an example of the majority of those who aren't anti-immigrant but anti-illegal alien instead? Of course your side will call Americans who want a reduction in legal immigration as being "anti-immigrant" also. If I am asked to eat 6 apples at one sitting and I can only eat 2 does that make me anti-apples?

Last edited by chicagonut; 01-01-2011 at 09:55 PM..

Old 01-01-2011, 09:28 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,423,442 times
Quote:
Quote:
Oh, and I taught Multicultural Diversity at UVA and the discrimination, stereotyping,
and prejudice of an entire group of people regardless of if they fit into Blumenbach's original idea of race based on physical attributes like craniofacial anthropology and such or if you use the definition of race embraced by anti-immigrationist like Stoddard. In the US we tend to use simply skin color as a deliniation of race. The "paper bag test" or the "one drop rule" had nothing to do with the actual genetic definition of race but the appearance and perception of "race".

So stereotyping someone based on the language they speak, the color of their skin, the country they come from, and their perceived legal status is very much racism.
You claimed to be against illegal immigration, but each one of your post have proven that that's not true. In fact, your anti-American ways actually highlight themselves in your posts.

Now we already know that it's a "proven fact" that the only thing "multiculturism" does is divide countries.
If you even had the slightest concern about illegal immigration in the US,
you would also know that it's true.

Quote:
In the US we tend to use simply skin color as a deliniation of race. The "paper bag test" or the "one drop rule" had nothing to do with the actual genetic definition of race but the appearance and perception of "race".
Where did you ever get this BS?

Who's trying to stereotype who now?

Last edited by mkfarnam; 01-01-2011 at 09:46 PM..

Old 01-01-2011, 10:05 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,423,442 times
Quote:

An educated person wouldn't enter a debate without some knowlege of what the main issue was actually about.

Just like every other person trying to give credit to illegal alien, you jumped in and started twisting words around.
Stoddard may be some "anti-immigrationist", but he has no part in this debate. The issue here is "illegal immigration".
We are "anti- illegal immigration" ...but I'm sure that you already knew that.

NOW..., anyone that knows anything about this debate, knows the meaning of "Pro-Illegal".
So ,either your uneducated about this issue, Or your just playing stupid with us.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:19 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
How about "people of one country should respect the laws of other countries" - that should work. If I travel to Mexico, I believe I should respect it's laws and it's culture. I believe that Mexicans should respect our laws when they come here.

Also, if I were to want to emigrate to another country, I would want to learn it's language and history and would expect that I should abide by it's laws.

What's racist in that?
Nothing... who called you racist for saying those things? It sure wasn't me.

I have avoided turning this into a general immigration debate, as that was not the intention of the OP. Not once have I said "I support illegal immigration" or even implied such a thing, but you all keep trying to grasp at those straws. Try debating what I've actually said, if you really want to reply to my comments. Okay?

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-01-2011 at 11:39 PM..

Old 01-01-2011, 11:22 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
I would surely think that someone that has gone through grad school would know that people that have a dislike for those who take something that doesn't belong to them simply don't like thieves. Thieves come in all races and from all countries. I've known this since before the 4th grade.

I've heard our education system has gone down the tubes...I just didn't realize how far. But it seems to be common now days for kids to get out of school and think they are smart instead of educated. And they don't know the difference so they call it what they want to.
What are you babbling about? Seriously - what are ALL of you babbling about?? I came back to this thread, to see if anyone had addressed my comments specifically... instead all I read are personal attacks, and ramblings about immigration issues I never even mentioned. I never said anything about liking or disliking thieves, but just answered the OP's question regarding whether or not she was being biased. She accepted my replies, so why are you fighting a fight to which she's already (somewhat) conceded? And where did I say the educational system has no problems? I have been working in education for nearly a decade, so I'm fully aware of the issues, which are caused by a variety of factors. If you want to discuss our public schools, I would be happy to do so on a P&OC thread.

P.S. If you're referring to me in that last part, I happen to be both - LOL. Why are you assuming otherwise? Do I seem like a stupid person with an IQ of 89? I'm also far from a kid, and lived quite a bit of life before even going to graduate school. If you're referring to high school kids (I really can't tell, since you didn't qualify your statement), there are kids who are smart AND well-educated, kids who are only well-educated, kids who are smart and NOT well-educated, and kids who are neither. Generalize much?

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-02-2011 at 12:03 AM..

Old 01-02-2011, 01:53 AM

481 posts, read 943,025 times
They funny thing is, I never called anyone racist. It's hard to debate people who have such poor reading comprehension skills.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:57 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Nothing... who called you racist for saying those things? It sure wasn't me.

I have avoided turning this into a general immigration debate, as that was not the intention of the OP. Not once have I said "I support illegal immigration" or even implied such a thing, but you all keep trying to grasp at those straws. Try debating what I've actually said, if you really want to reply to my comments. Okay?
The open borders crowd generally throws out the race card anytime anyone suggests that people of other countries respect our laws. If someone doesn't want to bring the over 2 billion impoverished people into the USA for the taxpayers to support, the pro-open borders crowd which wants UNLIMITED immigration especially by poor people, considers that it must be racism.

If someone doesn't think all our major cities must be quadrupled in size and our national forests plowed under to build housing projects for all the poor people who want to live the great life in the USA, the unlimited immigration types will claim it's only racism that would make someone not want to see the population of the USA increase ten-fold in a matter of a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration