Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2010, 10:39 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,437,818 times

Advertisements

"Many states look to Arizona’s SB 1070 as a model for new immigration legislation"

25 states to consider SB 1070-like policies in upcoming legislative sessions
By Luke Johnson | 12.28.10 | 9:43 am

The Saturday after the November elections that brought 680 Republican state legislators into office throughout the country, Texas Rep. Debbie Riddle started camping outside the Texas Capitol in Austin to be the first to file voter ID legislation and an Arizona-style immigration bill for Texas. A passer-by told her that she reminded him of Duke basketball fans camping out for tickets.

“It was eye-opening to realize that people think it’s normal to be passionate about something like college basketball, but odd to be passionate about your state’s politics,” she said to the Houston Chronicle.

Many states look to Arizona's SB 1070 as a model for new immigration legislation | The American Independent

States with SB 1070-like legislation in the works: (PDF)

Most likely to pass:
Georgia, Mississippi, Oklahoma, South Carolina
Maybe: Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Indiana,
Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Pennsylvania,
Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia

Less Likely:
Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Nevada, North Carolina,
Ohio, Rhode Island
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 01:49 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,655,065 times
This is good news.

Those listed in the 'less-likely' is badly overrun with illegal aliens. I drove through MD this season, and I've never seen so many illegal aliens before in my entire life outside this one time in L.A. They are infesting the nation's capital, and nobody is doing anything about it? Typical.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:02 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,844,587 times
Political Battle on Illegal Immigration Shifts to States

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/01/us/01immig.html?_r=2

Old 01-01-2011, 03:15 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,570,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
This is good news.

Those listed in the 'less-likely' is badly overrun with illegal aliens. I drove through MD this season, and I've never seen so many illegal aliens before in my entire life outside this one time in L.A. They are infesting the nation's capital, and nobody is doing anything about it? Typical.
Tell me about it. I have witnessed nice, middle class neighborhoods being transformed into squalid, crime-ridden barrios within the past several years. I have lived in the MD suburbs of DC for the majority of my life, and I have NEVER seen anything like it.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:40 PM

910 posts, read 1,677,368 times
Not surprised about Ohio being that way, though it may change with our new governor.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1987 View Post
Not surprised about Ohio being that way, though it may change with our new governor.
I have a Brother in Ashland.OH.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:40 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,159,127 times
I think it will pass in Pennsylvania hopefully. Governor Corbett is from Pittsburgh (there is a very low illegal population here so the "it will hurt our economy" argument can't be used in Western PA), has stated his support of an Arizona like bill, and the only people in the state that would vote against this bill are the Philly idiots.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:50 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
What I am wishing for is that all the illegals that self deport from the states that turn up the heat flood the sanctuary states. Maybe then these states will get a clue.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:02 PM

Opyelie: Thanks for posting the link.

Quote:
In Oklahoma, where Republicans won big majorities in both houses of the Legislature and the governor’s office, Mr. Terrill said he would introduce a bill he called “Arizona plus.” In addition to the terms of Arizona’s law, it would allow for the seizure of vehicles and property used to transport or harbor illegal immigrants.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 01-02-2011 at 08:36 PM..

Old 01-02-2011, 08:31 PM

I still feel that Arizona (SB 1070) has set a New precedent and now (with our new Congress),other states will start following Arizona, but with different versions. Some states will stand by to see which version works best without Gov, interference. Or, we know that the illegal immigration problem affects some states somewhat differently.(more or less) so some states will stand by to see which version would be most appropriate for that state.

My New Year's Resolution :
Our priorities,(not their's,, OURS!) such as, Immigration law enforcement,(for one) including Border Security, will start falling into proper perspective this year.
►with help from the New Congress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration