Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 07:42 PM

29,981 posts, read 43,003,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Republicans will propose a deal with Democrats. Republicans will vote for the DREAM Act in exchange for the Democrat's support on a bill to modify the 14th Amendment to close the anchor baby loophole.

Since this bill will be an amendment to an amendment, it will still require ratification by 3/4 of States.

Dream Act is contingent on 3/4 of States ratification.

Is this your suggestion or fact that you can provide a link?

Not just no, H*ll no!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 08:51 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,456,636 times
Quote:
Republicans will propose a deal with Democrats. Republicans will vote for the DREAM Act in exchange for the Democrat's support on a bill to modify the 14th Amendment to close the anchor baby loophole.

Since this bill will be an amendment to an amendment, it will still require ratification by 3/4 of States.

Dream Act is contingent on 3/4 of States ratification.
This has been my stance all along. I can go along with the DREAM Act if I knew we wouldn't be importing another 20 million illegals and their children.

Why the Dems never proposed it is beyond me.

Also why is the GOP going the Congressional route to end birthright citizenship? They should go the amendment route they have control of 30 or so legislatures.

Probably could get to ratification by 2014.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:08 PM

166 posts, read 247,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
How many DREAMies would even pass ALL of Benicars list? 25 maybe?

Harsh but probbaly accurate.
Then it's not quite harsh enough.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:10 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,912,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
This has been my stance all along. I can go along with the DREAM Act if I knew we wouldn't be importing another 20 million illegals and their children.

Why the Dems never proposed it is beyond me.

Also why is the GOP going the Congressional route to end birthright citizenship? They should go the amendment route they have control of 30 or so legislatures.

Probably could get to ratification by 2014.
The States could do this too, without all of the wheeling and dealing that's bound to derail it in the Senate

Old 01-07-2011, 11:18 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,585,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Is this your suggestion or fact that you can provide a link?

Not just no, H*ll no!
This is my suggestion.

Sorry I wasn't clear.

I don't want to pass the DREAM Act either. But I know that the country needs to close the anchor baby problem and move forward. Democracy is all about making compromises. I think this is the only way. We can't keep kicking the problem down the road for the next generation to deal with.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:30 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,180,591 times
So, there are two bad bills that the majority of citizens don't want, but the IA supporters want to bargain? They don't have anything to bargain with. In order to bargain, you have to have something the other guy wants, that he's willing to exchange for something you want.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:41 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,590,934 times
Quote:
This is my suggestion.

Sorry I wasn't clear.

I don't want to pass the DREAM Act either. But I know that the country needs to close the anchor baby problem and move forward. Democracy is all about making compromises. I think this is the only way. We can't keep kicking the problem down the road for the next generation to deal with.
Yes, democracy involves compromise. However, why do we need to compromise with people who are in our country illegally, simply because they’re here? Haven’t we already compromised enough by paying for their education, and other benefits and services? Considering their flagrant violation of our laws, and the burden to taxpayers, I think we have been more than generous. It’s time to end this nonsense.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:14 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,810,499 times
Quote:
This is my suggestion.

Sorry I wasn't clear.

Except the Dream Act is not about anchor babies. The Dream Act is about children smuggled in here illegally who then expect to be given free health care, free schools, food stamps and free college because they were smuggled in. They are not anchor babies whose parents made it here in time to give birth.

Often the Dream Act kids were smuggled in years after the parents left them behind to chase American money.

The goal of the Dream Act pushers is to get all the smuggled in kids a quick easy citizenship and they can begin sponsoring all their illegal relatives. In spite of the millions of anchor babies born here as a way to bypass our immigration laws, that apparently isn't enough for the La Raza crowd which wants to make it possible for someone to sneak in a kid and then expect their US citizenship which of course provides the illegal parents and grandparents access to social security and disability and all the handouts.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:17 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,810,499 times
Quote:
This is my suggestion.

Sorry I wasn't clear.

Why not? Leave them illegal. That's the choice THEY made and the kids can certainly decide to correct their situation the legal way instead of believing that breaking the law entitles them to something others don't have.

Why should illegals be given preference over legal immigrants on anything?

Let them return home and get in line with others who respect our laws.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:03 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,590,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
How many DREAMies would even pass ALL of Benicars list? 25 maybe?

Harsh but probbaly accurate.
That’s the idea. It should be limited to a select few. The current bill would have legalized half the illegal alien population. Not to mention, the provision that would have made all “applicants” exempt from removal during the application process. Of course, no one knows how long that would take.

Also, under the current bill, ALL applications must be processed, regardless of their qualifications. I can only imagine how many gang members would apply, or the number of illegals who would enroll in community college expressly to receive amnesty, and then after 2 years have a baby and live off taxpayers. Furthermore, who on earth needs 10 years to complete 2 years of college?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration