Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 04:49 PM

5,402 posts, read 12,694,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
463K apprehended nation-wide FY2010 is an amount above the past years averages.

[color=#ff0000]

"For every illegal caught, three escape detection" Do you mean to say...For every illegal caught attempting to cross the borders without proper authorization, three escape detection" ? "Attempting to cross the borders" is a very important distinction.

The theory is for every alien apprehended attempting to cross the border without proper authorization, 3 aliens enter the US without proper authorization undetected. The theory is a best guess estimate. There is no positive way any agency[Border Patorl included] can give an accuate account of the "Un-detected".

Words have meaning...so does their omission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 05:05 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,612,372 times
Quote:
463K apprehended nation-wide FY2010 is an amount above the past years averages.

[color=#ff0000]

"For every illegal caught, three escape detection" Do you mean to say...For every illegal caught attempting to cross the borders without proper authorization, three escape detection" ? "Attempting to cross the borders" is a very important distinction.

The theory is for every alien apprehended attempting to cross the border without proper authorization, 3 aliens enter the US without proper authorization undetected. The theory is a best guess estimate. There is no positive way any agency[Border Patorl included] can give an accuate account of the "Un-detected".

Words have meaning...so does their omission.
If they only “attempt” to cross the border they have failed to enter. Right? According to the Border Patrol, for each apprehended (at the border), an estimated 3 have managed to enter undetected, as in, they are here. That’s a pretty simple explanation. Of course, the government has no idea how many illegals are actually in this country, so I suppose one guess is as good as another.

I am glad you realize words have meaning, as well as their omission; ergo, the word ILLEGAL. Does that mean you will refrain from using euphemisms to describe foreign interlopers? Or, do words only have meaning when they suit your agenda?

Old 03-21-2011, 07:40 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,481,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
WTF? I think we may already be defeated.
We can't have immigration laws without these foreigners calling us racist.
The liberal media is too busy gushing over the Utah Compact. They really don't have time to do this type of analysis you're doing.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:14 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,849,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Since I authored neither study, you would have to pose that question to them. Obviously, there is a contradiction. But, anyone can pull figures out of the air, which is precisely what is being done. As I previously stated, what difference does it make?
One is a news article and the other is simple statistics...neither is a "study". No contridition.

Interpretation. I dont take any information at face value...not even the government's.

I also would not take simple statistics and mold them to my agenda. Or make conclusions that the information does not support.

It make a difference because in order to have a "inteligent" and Honest debate on the issues, in order to solve complex problems...crediblity, on both sides, is necessary.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
One is a news article and the other is simple statistics...neither is a "study". No contridition.

Interpretation. I dont take any information at face value...not even the government's.

I also would not take simple statistics and mold them to my agenda. Or make conclusions that the information does not support.

It make a difference because in order to have a "inteligent" and Honest debate on the issues, in order to solve complex problems...crediblity, on both sides, is necessary.
Until illegal aliens are identified, there can be no credibility, only conjecture. No one, including our government officials, knows the true magnitude of this invasion. I don’t need a study to prove that illegal immigration is a scourge. It is painfully evident.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:51 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,496,574 times
My source is my Son, who works patrolling, and there are way too many that cross without being caught, for everyone that is caught, that many more get thru. We really do need more border patrol agents, think this is an easy job, try it for a day, this is physical hard work.

And believe me they rather not be caught, they are armed, and ready to shoot to kill these illegals.
Really nice, they jump our fences illegally, come to this Country and break our laws, then decide to kill who ever gets in their way, SOMETHING VERY WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
My source is my Son, who works patrolling, and there are way too many that cross without being caught, for everyone that is caught, that many more get thru. We really do need more border patrol agents, think this is an easy job, try it for a day, this is physical hard work.

And believe me they rather not be caught, they are armed, and ready to shoot to kill these illegals.
Really nice, they jump our fences illegally, come to this Country and break our laws, then decide to kill who ever gets in their way, SOMETHING VERY WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE.
Im an advocate for more Border Patrol agents. I believe in "more boots on the ground". That is why it is inconprehensable that this Congress recended the new funding proposed by the previous congress and adminstration. There is no doubt that BP does not apprehend all aliens attempting to cross.

I found some interesting facts...When the BP counts apprehensions at the border, the apprehensions are for each border sector, not points of entry
(35 POEs).

Quote:
Apprehensions along the Southwest border have increased since 2004.
There are a total of 21 Border Patrol sectors along both the northern and southern borders. Nine of these sectors are along the Southwest border: two in California, five in Texas, and two in Arizona (see Map).

Go to site to see sector map
Migration Information Source - Spotlight on Immigration Enforcement in the United States
Source: US Customs and Border Protection, Performance and Annuals Report, FY 2004

Apprehensions along the Southwest border increased 3 percent between 2004 (1,139,282) and 2005 (1,171,428). Since 1996, the highest number of apprehensions in Southwest sectors was in 2000 (1,643,679) and the lowest was in 2003 (905,065).

Apprehension and removal data gathered by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) count events, not individuals. In some cases, individuals may be apprehended or placed through removal proceedings more than once in any given year.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:24 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,493,864 times
11 million was the count used back in the 80's.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
11 million was the count used back in the 80's.
You do know that the number did not remain the same for every year since the '80s. In the '90s and '00s, with the economy booming and the desire for cheap available labor, the numbers went way higher. Recent tighter restrictions and a bad economy the numbers have dropped?

Quote:
The Pew Hispanic Center estimates that in the 1980s the net advance of the undocumented population was at the 130,000 per year, increasing to 450,000 per year from 1990–1994, and further increasing to 750,000 per year from 1995–1999, and staying at 700,000–850,000+ per year since about 2000. Undocumented Mexican immigration amounts to about 500,000 per year of this influx since about 1999. According to the same Pew Hispanic Center study as of March 2005, the undocumented population had reached 11 million or more
this is numbers of new aliens and not the total numbers, but it does show the ebb and flow of migration numbers over the years.

Last edited by 1751texan; 03-23-2011 at 06:12 AM..

Old 03-23-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
You do know that the number did not remain the same for every year since the '80s. In the '90s and '00s, with the economy booming and the desire for cheap available labor, the numbers went way higher. Recent tighter restrictions and a bad economy the numbers have dropped?

this is numbers of new aliens and not the total numbers, but it does show the ebb and flow of migration numbers over the years.
Are they, or are they not, claiming we have 12 million or 10.8, depending on the source; and, didn’t these same “experts” claim we had 12 million 10-15 years ago?

Bottom line: It is impossible to have virtually the same number of illlegals today as we had 15 years ago, unless, each year, an “equal” number of illegals departed this country as entered. This isn’t brain surgery. It is simple common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration