Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 11:03 AM
pvn

103 posts, read 55,336 times

Advertisements

I guess I need to repeat my question. Who EXACTLY is "demanding" that YOU learn spanish?

I mean, I might "demand" that you wear a bikini and go swimming on the antarctic coast, should we start a hysterical thread about that?

Old 06-23-2011, 11:49 AM

2,196 posts, read 1,999,021 times
Default " The Struggled For The Preservation Of The Greatest Of All Nations Upon The Earth" !!! " ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookie47 View Post
MY GOD MAN. I even hear they are teaching Spanish in HIGH SCHOOLS all across the country! Some middle schools, and even elementary schools! They're corrupting our children at their most vulnerable with anti-American languages. I can't even send my kid to a private school that doesn't teach languages other than English. Don't these schools know that they are in AMERICA? Some of these schools even require learning another language in order to graduate. We're not Switzerland. Knowing only one language is a point of pride here in the land of red, white and blue.
MrWookie47 !!! ... Precisely !

I commend you MrWookie47 for your expression of exceptional common sense and great patriotic reasoning regarding your post subject matter !

Yes ... the wisdom of your comments are indeed "Spot On" !

Todays beleaguered America most certainly needs many, many more acutely Patriotic" folks such as yourself to assist with the vastly important process regarding a "Return of The Real America" ... Back By Popular Demand !

Most loyal Americans will no doubt agree that only a complete fool would reward the many "Illegal Alien Criminal's" within this nation by allowing
these "Law Breakers " to not only remain within our Fatherland but to also insist that American citizens learn the criminals language and have their hard earned tax dollars taken to support many of these anti-American thugs !!!

Upon further consideration the good folks in the States must calmly, deliberately, and with a most resolute resolve ... put this matter aright!

May we never become so deliberately indifferent that we allow those that hate and dispise all this great nation stands for to remain among us as despots whom present a clear and present danger to our safety and security ... to our very way of life ! Nay not so friends, we must never allow this nightmare to ever reach it's hideous conclusion !!!

It truly up to America's loyal citizens too correct this gross injustice ... as it appears those we have allowed to govern us are for all intents and purposes just not interested in being part of the lawful solution !

Have A Nice Day Mates / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 06-23-2011, 11:52 AM
CP7

1 posts, read 495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
In many cities more than half the jobs require you to speak Spanish.
I feel ya man, I went to a job interview the other day and had to walk out when I discovered that they required a college degree. This is America! I shouldn't be forced to develop a skill set that is valuable and relevant to my potential employer in order to work for them.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:54 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,500,388 times
Quote:
That the woman who yelled at the kid was bad is not in question. Her Spanish instruction is in no way part of that assessment, though.
Uh huh! Add to that the contradictory nature of the whole setup there. While I sit reading the employment guidelines, which clearly state that employees MUST be able to speak, read and write English fluently, while in the background the employees are speaking to each other in SPANISH, and this was BEFORE they started forcing the children to speak it. The guy who works there could hardly string two words together in English. Are you telling me that all of this is acceptable in an AMERICAN workplace? Weren't these people taught by their parents that it is incredibly RUDE to speak a foreign language in front of those who do not know it, especially when the language you are speaking is NOT the language of the country you are in? THEY should be expected to learn MY language in order to communicate with ME in the workplace in MY country!

Old 06-23-2011, 11:58 AM

192 posts, read 115,843 times
I guess you assume that people who are electing to speak Spanish are incapable of also being fluent in English?

Old 06-23-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Anti American languages? You do know tha America is the land of immigrants who, first language might have not been English,

Look at our states names - California, Florida, Texas, Montana, Neveda. Even within these states some of the cities have spanish names - Los Angeles, El Paso, san diego, las vegas, etc. These states are represented in the 50 stars on our American flag! How can anyone be this ignorant. Louisiana is heavily French influenced and a lot of other states have Native american language names to them. Mardi Gras is popular in my state (not directly in my area however) and that is definitely not an English word. We here in the USA enjoy pizza which was originated in Italy. I can go on and on but you get my drift. America is home to a lot of "UnAmerican" cultures and you seem to have a problem with accepting this country for what it is.

I actually find learning other languages and cultures very exiciting and educational, why some people on here despise other cultures I have no idea. You act like learning another language is going to kill you, when learning other languages opens more doors in employment which is definitely a good thing.
And what were the states called by the native inhabitants BEFORE the English, Spanish, French and Dutch came in and colonized? California, and other Spanish-named places, were renamed by the SPANISH, not by natives of what is now called Mexico. Even Mexico, when it was no longer New Spain, was givven a name different from what the original indians of that area called it. Naming patterns do not grant rights.

Is French being forced on everyone in Louisiana, or do those of French/Cajun heritage speak ENGLISH and well as French/Cajun?

Old 06-23-2011, 12:03 PM

403 posts, read 334,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
You don't understand, soon every city will be full of these poor mexicans and us Americans will only be able to hang out in Americatown.
I hear Americatown has really good Pizza and Sushi.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:03 PM

5 posts, read 2,354 times
I for one am truly disgusted at businesses choosing to employ people who can speak both of the widest spoken languages in America.

I should be free to apply to a job on MY terms, that is why its called the free market!

Its like i was telling my life partner Steve the other day, sometimes i dont even recognise America anymore.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
All American businesses should be ENGLISH ONLY. We didn't win a war against the English, only to have some other language crammed down our throats.
And what language did the colonists speak, pray tell? Could it have been ENGLISH? As someone married to a Brit, can a verify that British English and American English are actually two seperate languages? Yes, I can.

Spain conquered the territory now known as Mexico, and as the conquering nation their language became THE language in the land. When Mexico had its very short ownership of California the language spoken was Spanish, that of their conquerors. When we BOUGHT California it became an AMERICAN territory, and therefore we had the right to expect it to be an ENGLISH speaking territory, as part of OUR nation. Thats how it goes, see?

Old 06-23-2011, 12:06 PM

46 posts, read 24,156 times
And if I want people to speak to ME in Spanish in MY workplace in MY country, should I demand that too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration