Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 12:07 PM

951 posts, read 747,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
And what language did the colonists speak, pray tell? Could it have been ENGLISH? As someone married to a Brit, can a verify that British English and American English are actually two seperate languages? Yes, I can.

Spain conquered the territory now known as Mexico, and as the conquering nation their language became THE language in the land. When Mexico had its very short ownership of California the language spoken was Spanish, that of their conquerors. When we BOUGHT California it became an AMERICAN territory, and therefore we had the right to expect it to be an ENGLISH speaking territory, as part of OUR nation. Thats how it goes, see?

Should California have imposed a ban on tortillas too? I'm pretty sure their taco eating is nothing more than a **** on the American flag.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:08 PM

18,457 posts, read 19,103,854 times
Quote:
I can remember a time when all of the Hispanics I knew spoke fluent English and they never demanded that we start to learn Spanish in order to communicate with them. They attended our schools and learned in English. They worked for local businesses and spoke only in English. They didn't disrespect or desecrate the flag and they were just as proud as we were to hear the National Anthem being played. These LEGAL Hispanics did not create the problems we are facing, although some are now jumping on the La Raza bandwagon.

This expectation of Americans needing to become bilingual in order to get an education of a job is a direct result of too many non-English speaking illegals flooding over the border.

But what has really angered me today is this....

I went to a job interview to work with developmentally disabled children and teenagers. I walked through the door was confronted with ONLY Hispanic employees working there. As I sat there reading through the job description while the employees conversed in SPANISH, I came to the section which stated that employees MUST be fluent in reading, writing and speaking ENGLISH! But it gets worse! All of the children living in this facility were white, except for two Hispanics. While I sat there trying to go through the application the employees started teaching these children to speak SPANISH! One little boy, no more than 9 years old, was fighting against it. The employee would say..."Uno, Dos" and this little boy would say back instead..."One, Two." This female employee YELLED at him and told him that he MUST learn it and repeated to him..."I want you to say uno and dos." The little guy broke down in tears! At this point I got up, returned the application and told them I was declining to apply and I walked out. Now I can see why this company was cited for Client Rights violations four times since 2005 and has been cited for abuse twice.

So, now it is okay to impose the Spanish language on developmentally disabled children, who already have enough of a struggle in life? I will be reporting this to the city and the county. I am very angry over this.
if a disabled child is being "bullied" to do anything to the point of tears why wouldn't you have asked to see a supervisor right away to complain about it instead of just walking out the door? funny how the kid knew "uno, dos" was one, two to stubbornly repeat it in refusal to go along with the spanish teacher. why too, would you apply somewhere that you already knew violated client rights?

many people speak spanish and other languages to each other on the job, "rude" or not.

did they speak english to you when you spoke to them?

Old 06-23-2011, 12:09 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,500,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
So one kid is apparently being taught Spanish when it doesn't seem like he wants to learn it, and you are now up in arms about Americans being "forced" to learn Spanish. That is just not happening on a scale worth discussing. People are learning Spanish because so many people in America now speak it.
And what about those schools which REQUIRE learning a foreign language before one can graduate? That should be a choice of the parents and the student, NOT of school policy.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
And what about those schools which REQUIRE learning a foreign language before one can graduate? That should be a choice of the parents and the student, NOT of school policy.
gee yes, lets not require difficult subjects. like science many kids don't use that stuff later in life. or math beyond the basic why bother?

22 posts, read 11,333 times
Quote:
I'd think they were probably better schools.

1,569 posts, read 1,214,429 times
Quote:
Just like how schools REQUIRE math courses and REQUIRE English courses. It's almost as if they are seeking to have educated, well-rounded students graduating.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I don't have the cites readily available but I believe in parts of the southwest Spanish is being "required" as part of the ciriculum. If memory serves me right other posters have provided proof of that.
My daughter was forced to learn Spanish while attending school in Arizona.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Just like how schools REQUIRE math courses and REQUIRE English courses. It's almost as if they are seeking to have educated, well-rounded students graduating.
so america isn't the only place in the world and english isn't the only language people communicate in?

Old 06-23-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
As much as I appreciate your personal sentiment about what is or is not a good reason for someone to move, economic opportunity is a pretty common one (oh my bad, I didn't mean economic opportunity - I meant USING A NATION AS A CASH COW - much more dramatic).

I mean, I have moved for jobs and school. I moved to Philly to go to school, and I would assume you don't feel that I NEED to assimilate into Philadelphian culture.
How many times have you tried to immigrate ILLEGALLY to another country for economic reasons?

Old 06-23-2011, 12:15 PM

192 posts, read 115,843 times
Quote:
Schools even require students to study the Muslim teachings of al-jabr (Arabic: الجبر). We're one step away from Sharia law in the Constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration