Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 08:19 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,324,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakWeight View Post
Yes it is "imaginary" as in the color of the ground doesn't change for each state and each country. People fence it off etc, but it is a construct it isn't tangible

What are you communist? Collective owners? So I can go into your house and sit on your couch and watch TV? But only if a majority of the people say I can?

Well this seems to be the crux of the problem. See, there are some people who think they should be allowed to hire people who you don't think they should. Now if the majority passes a law tomorrow saying that those people can hire whoever they want, will you accept that?
Look on a map. Those lines around countries are not imaginary. How in the world does that make me a communist? We Americans are the collective owners of THIS COUNTRY, not owners of each other's individual dwellings for God's sake!

Our immigration laws dictate whom employers can hire and whom they cannot, not me. The majority will never allow a law to pass that allows illegal aliens to enter at will and take our jobs but do dream on.

I am putting you on my ignore list also for your insults and for your anti-American views. Bye, bye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 06:19 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,672,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Social programs designed to keep seniors from starving to death or help sick Americans have no bearing on this debate. Do you really think that someone who gets cancer is responsible for getting cancer?

If I were you I wouldn't worry about social security anyway as you'll probably won't touch it for another fifty years.

Interesting that people only say that seniors are getting out more than they paid into SS but ignore the interest on those funds for 40 years. Let me see, generally your investment doubles every seven years, so I think I'll still be coming up short. But what the heck, it isn't the first time Americans have lied to.

Without SS, the seniors will be forced to spend their kids inheritance to feed themselves. But those kids can't see that far ahead.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
I have a disabled child (cerebral palsy) & it really makes me angry that on many of my forums for parents of disabled children, parents report constant cuts to funding for their (LEGAL AMERICAN) children! The reason is,of course, the HUGE drain on our social programs due to illegals. Many children with severe disabilities are on Medicaid, because one parent (usually the mother) has to stop working to care for the child (as is our case). heck, we can hardly even get an appointment to the doctor at in Kansas City, due to the HUGE numbers of people there, about 85% of which SPEAK NO ENGLISH!!
Many programs & medical procedures are no longer being funded, DUE TO THE STATES GOING BROKE, and it is just a horrible outrage. All due to LAZY CRIMINALS who sneak into another country & suck off the system, because they are too spineless to stay home & work together to fix their OWN damn country's problems. The children of decent, hard working Americans are suffering because we are funding the children of criminals from all over the dang WORLD!!

(For the record, I'm a democrat,never been on welfare.)

Sorry for troubles and I wish you and your child the very best. Thanks for sharing and bringing into focus the real pain American families suffer because of government policies which benefit everyone but the people who worked hard and paid for them. My hope is that through these discussions, someone, somewhere, will hear us and help lead our country back to sanity.

As I recall, there was anther thread about what country would you move to if you left the U.S. and there are plenty who would not let you do much more than spend your vacation dollars without a job and sufficient funds to not be on their government teet. (I hate that term but somehow, nothing fits as well) We need to really demand that our government respect its citizens and get out the vote.

Again, best of luck and keep being vocal as there is a lot of noise to rise above.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:08 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,211,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Interesting that people only say that seniors are getting out more than they paid into SS but ignore the interest on those funds for 40 years. Let me see, generally your investment doubles every seven years, so I think I'll still be coming up short. But what the heck, it isn't the first time Americans have lied to.

Without SS, the seniors will be forced to spend their kids inheritance to feed themselves. But those kids can't see that far ahead.
You realize the whole reason SS is in place is that the average person demonstrably cannot invest responsibly, right? If you think the average person is doubling their investment every seven years, you're out of your mind.

You're making two contradictory statements here. One is that SS is necessary to allow seniors to survive. The other is that without the whole system they'd be wayyyy better off. Not a single politician with any real traction has proposed a system that cut SS off entirely to people who are currently seniors.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:02 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,179,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Yes, I understand that (although illegals pay more taxes than you seem to think), but there are two issues.

1. Seniors are currently pulling out more than they ever put in
2. It's still welfare - Social Security is basically the government's way of dealing with the fact that people are not competent at saving. So is Medicare (although it has the benefit of covering unexpected catastrophic costs).
Social Security and Medicare aren't welfare. They're insurance. The idea was that the money should be invested, and earn more money, but since it was put into the general fund, Congress has 'borrowed' from it instead of investing it. If you purchase insurance, and have cause to file a claim, do you consider the payment from the insurance company as welfare?

Illegal aliens receiving welfare, or any social service, is like someone receiving payments from an insurance company where they had no policy, and paid no premium. The elderly receiving SS are still paying into Medicare. An elderly relative has $119 deducted from her $581 SS check each month. Fortunately she has a daughter to live with, but there are a lot of older people whose only source of income is SS, and have no family to take them in. It's wrong for illegal aliens, who haven't paid a dime into SS or Medicare, to benefit from them.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:24 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,324,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
Social Security and Medicare aren't welfare. They're insurance. The idea was that the money should be invested, and earn more money, but since it was put into the general fund, Congress has 'borrowed' from it instead of investing it. If you purchase insurance, and have cause to file a claim, do you consider the payment from the insurance company as welfare?

Illegal aliens receiving welfare, or any social service, is like someone receiving payments from an insurance company where they had no policy, and paid no premium. The elderly receiving SS are still paying into Medicare. An elderly relative has $119 deducted from her $581 SS check each month. Fortunately she has a daughter to live with, but there are a lot of older people whose only source of income is SS, and have no family to take them in. It's wrong for illegal aliens, who haven't paid a dime into SS or Medicare, to benefit from them.
Excellent points. Some illegals do pay into the SS fund but it is the other points that you make that are pertinent. SS is not welfare as you explained perfectly. I pay a premium out of my SS every month also for Medicare.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
If you think the average person is doubling their investment every seven years, you're out of your mind.

It is called "compounding interest", which has been around for a long time and is also taught in many high schools.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:45 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
CIS study lol. Also title is wrong in addition to CIS's probably questionable methods. It's 71% of illegals with children.
those are STILL illegals. If they'd stay in their own country, those would still be expenses that American taxpayers would not have to pay.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:50 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,211,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
It is called "compounding interest", which has been around for a long time and is also taught in many high schools.
Compound interest leads to everyone doubling their investment every seven years?

Old 07-04-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Compound interest leads to everyone doubling their investment every seven years?
I have neither the time nor interest to explain simple math to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration