Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 07:30 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,767,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
You do get a homeowners tax credit, correct? And you will eventually get SS? And, of course, just a few years until subsidized health care.
I think many of us would just as soon dump SS because chances are we'll never see a dime of all those thousands of dollars we paid in. SS wasn't sold to the Americans as a welfare program but as a forced government retirement program.

It may have turned into another welfare program at some point. Welfare programs are those that aren't paid into by the welfare recipients. Tax credits are also not welfare programs except for the EITC program which obviously is when the recipients are given cash they never earned or paid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 07:32 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,212,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think many of us would just as soon dump SS because chances are we'll never see a dime of all those thousands of dollars we paid in. SS wasn't sold to the Americans as a welfare program but as a forced government retirement program.

It may have turned into another welfare program at some point. Welfare programs are those that aren't paid into by the welfare recipients. Tax credits are also not welfare programs except for the EITC program which obviously is when the recipients are given cash they never earned or paid.
It is and always was "welfare."

Tax credits are also welfare. Welfare welfare welfare - we're all on it omg!

Old 06-27-2011, 07:48 PM

118 posts, read 95,591 times
Quote:
Welfare programs are those that aren't paid into by the welfare recipients.
Could you explain what you mean here?

Old 06-27-2011, 07:55 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,682,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
Hey, you could always quit your jobs and get on the welfare dole that apparently is so kush.

But, how could I look in the mirror?

Besides, I really don't know how to not contribute to society or how even play that game. Guess I'll just have to continue to walk with my head held high and pay more than our share. I'm probably missing a lot of great new friends but I just don't know how to live the kush life.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:56 PM

403 posts, read 334,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Harley View Post
Why would you need that? If the State and Feds pay for their meals, education and health care exactly how much would it take to survive? Answer, a heck of a lot less than otherwise. I pay out the wazoo for all of the above for my family.

My "legal" family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsicmovies View Post
You kidding? Illegals still have a few to several children to a family with many many unwed illegal mothers here in California and Los Angeles, of course welfare is often a primary source. That is big bucks and food stamps from welfare, plus illegals get other free benefits like medicaid medical care at many big and small county run and assisted centers...this for illegal adults as well as children. Illegals also get government assisted free and recuced cost housing, section 8, etc.
There are several reasons I ask for a cite. For one thing, often times things that seem like they might be obvious actually aren't. Often, a deeper investigation into the situation will reveal that we were completely wrong about our original assumptions. For another thing, often our perception of reality is heavily skewed by our individual biases and fears. We tend to seek explanations that conform to those biases and we ignore facts that conflict those biases. This can result in the belief of some crazy things. I think the scenario being described is highly unlikely. Being cognizant of the fact that I can be subject to the same type of bias I would like some sort of actual evidence that this even happens, we can discuss the prevalence of it later.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elián González View Post
Could you explain what you mean here?
Social security - whether one agrees with it or not is a forced retirement program, you get social security benefits if and only if you paid into that program.

Food stamps, WIC, Medicaid, TANF, free school meals require no paying into them by the recipients. Come here, have a baby, never pay a dime for it and you'll be given all the food stamps, WIC, free housing, etc that you could ever have dreamed of. An illegal can come here in end stage labor, never have worked a day in her life and live the good life of welfare handouts the rest of her days. However social security checks at retirement aren't given - yet.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Social security - whether one agrees with it or not is a forced retirement program, you get social security benefits if and only if you paid into that program.

Food stamps, WIC, Medicaid, TANF, free school meals require no paying into them by the recipients. Come here, have a baby, never pay a dime for it and you'll be given all the food stamps, WIC, free housing, etc that you could ever have dreamed of. An illegal can come here in end stage labor, never have worked a day in her life and live the good life of welfare handouts the rest of her days. However social security checks at retirement aren't given - yet.
If welfare is such a good life, why aren't you on it?

Old 06-27-2011, 08:02 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,682,508 times
Quote:

I wonder how many people who want to get rid of SS understand that their worn out parents will have to spend their inheritance without it? I guess the old folks will just have to move in with their kids. FYI, SS doesn't pay all that much and all expenses are going up to pay for lots of obamacare.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elián González View Post
If welfare is such a good life, why aren't you on it?
I would be if I never finished 3rd grade, couldn't learn any English, and started having children at age 16 and never heard of birth control so that I was having child after child that I could never feed even in my own country and crossed the border illegally because of all that.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
I would be if I never finished 3rd grade, couldn't learn any English, and started having children at age 16 and never heard of birth control so that I was having child after child that I could never feed even in my own country and crossed the border illegally because of all that.
But you could live the good life! Better than your life now, apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration