Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 10:01 PM

403 posts, read 334,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
The 14th Amendment also has the equally important "Due Process" and "Equal Protection Under the Law" areas...

Maybe she meant re-interpreting one or both of those?...
Oh, ya. Lol. My brain is fried from doing annoying logic problems all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 07:12 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,324,534 times
Quote:
The 14th Amendment also has the equally important "Due Process" and "Equal Protection Under the Law" areas...

Maybe she meant re-interpreting one or both of those?...
Come on, you know what I meant so stop playing games. The only problem I have with the 14th amendment is the way that birthright citizenship is being mis-interpreted. "Remove" any doubt as to what it was intended to mean instead of the continued conflict about it. I have read enough on it to convince me that the lingo in it doesn't include children of illegal aliens for birthright citizenship. Even if it did, it is time to amend that part of the amendment to at least one parent having to be a citizen of this country for a newborn to qualify.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:59 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,849,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Come on, you know what I meant so stop playing games. The only problem I have with the 14th amendment is the way that birthright citizenship is being mis-interpreted. "Remove" any doubt as to what it was intended to mean instead of the continued conflict about it. I have read enough on it to convince me that the lingo in it doesn't include children of illegal aliens for birthright citizenship. Even if it did, it is time to amend that part of the amendment to at least one parent having to be a citizen of this country for a newborn to qualify.
I dunno, there wasn't all of these drug addicts or gangs back in 1868 either. Maybe modifying Due Process and/or Equal Protection is also warranted to take more of a bite on our punishment of those miscreants. If we are changing it, why not grab a bigger piece to get a full update?

Let's get all of those sections listing "persons" too, and change that terminology to "citizens". We've heard so often here that the U.S. Constitution only covers the rights of citizens, so that is also being "misinterpreted" too. There would definitely need to be a mechanism in place to quickly determine citizenship in that case (bonus!), so that we can actually know what rights the person, errm citizen/non-citizen would hold.

A modified jus soli policy needs to also be lined up with how gender and marital discrepancies are currently applied for jus sanguini. Just because a child is born overseas out of wedlock or to a male U.S. citizen it should not be unequal to that of a U.S. citizen female parent. Or do we want to bring that offshore solution back to the mainland, and have that the parents need to be married for easier processing of citizenship on the child?

Anything has to be better than that mixed-up notion of unequal gender you had before, where a child of a female U.S. citizen parent is a U.S. citizen, but that the child of a male U.S. citizen is not a citizen unless the mother is too...

Last edited by IBMMuseum; 07-29-2011 at 09:24 AM..

Old 07-29-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I dunno, there wasn't all of these drug addicts or gangs back in 1868 either. Maybe modifying Due Process and/or Equal Protection is also warranted to take more of a bite on our punishment of those miscreants. If we are changing it, why not grab a bigger piece to get a full update?

Let's get all of those sections listing "persons" too, and change that terminology to "citizens". We've heard so often here that the U.S. Constitution only covers the rights of citizens, so that is also being "misinterpreted" too. There would definitely need to be a mechanism in place to quickly determine citizenship in that case (bonus!), so that we can actually know what rights the person, errm citizen/non-citizen would hold.

A modified jus soli policy needs to also be lined up with how gender and marital discrepancies are currently applied for jus sanguini. Just because a child is born overseas out of wedlock or to a male U.S. citizen it should not be unequal to that of a U.S. citizen female parent. Or do we want to bring that offshore solution back to the mainland, and have that the parents need to be married for easier processing of citizenship on the child?

Anything has to be better than that mixed-up notion of unequal gender notions you have before, where a child of a female U.S. citizen parent is a U.S. citizen, but that the child of a male U.S. citizen is not a citizen unless the mother is too...
This is the illegal immigration forum. I am addressing the part of the 14th that through an erroneous interpretation of the birthright citizenship clause children born from illegal aliens are instant citizens. If you want to discuss the rest of the 14th or the rights/non-rights of illegal aliens according to the Constitution then start a new topic.

My desire would be that a child born on our soil has to be from an American mother to gain instant citizenship. As for all the other scenarios and details you are bringing up, it only stands to reason that all of that would be addressed and clarified at the time the change occurs.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:40 AM

222 posts, read 501,178 times
I am not sure what can be done but we better wise up and do something as many countries are now offering "Have Your Baby In America Vacations !" Its true... look it up on the internet.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
This is the illegal immigration forum. I am addressing the part of the 14th that through an erroneous interpretation of the birthright citizenship clause children born from illegal aliens are instant citizens. If you want to discuss the rest of the 14th or the rights/non-rights of illegal aliens according to the Constitution then start a new topic.

My desire would be that a child born on our soil has to be from an American mother to gain instant citizenship. As for all the other scenarios and details you are bringing up, it only stands to reason that all of that would be addressed and clarified at the time the change occurs.
The topic is about the abuse of the 14th Amendment (nothing identified of which specific section) by illegal aliens. That heavily-tattooed gang banger "illegal alien" that sells drugs perhaps shouldn't have the same rights to Due Process that citizens do. Why should he also have that "Equal Protection Under the Law" that I do?

If he is an illegal alien, why waste taxpayer money on a trial ("Due Process"), just throw his a$$ in jail. A lack of "Equal Protection" affects other rights, like the 1st Amendment (they protest, we deport) and the 4th Amendment (no warrant necessary for an IA drop-house, no reasonable suspicion necessary for a Terry Stop if the police think it is an illegal alien). Isn't that the "gains" that you want anyway?

Last edited by IBMMuseum; 07-29-2011 at 10:11 AM..

Old 07-29-2011, 10:05 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,671,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellsandwater View Post
I am not sure what can be done but we better wise up and do something as many countries are now offering "Have Your Baby In America Vacations !" Its true... look it up on the internet.

Maybe they put the 14th amendment as a promotion.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:21 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,569,444 times
Quote:
The topic is about the abuse of the 14th Amendment (nothing identified of which specific section) by illegal aliens. That heavily-tattooed gang banger "illegal alien" that sells drugs perhaps shouldn't have the same rights to Due Process that citizens do. Why should he also have that "Equal Protection Under the Law" that I do?

If he is an illegal alien, why waste taxpayer money on a trial ("Due Process"), just throw his a$$ in jail. A lack of "Equal Protection" affects other rights, like the 1st Amendment (they protest, we deport) and the 4th Amendment (no warrant necessary for an IA drop-house, no reasonable suspicion necessary for a Terry Stop if the police think it is an illegal alien). Isn't that the "gains" that you want anyway?
I don’t know how the OP could have been more specific. The topic CLEARLY is the abuse of the 14th Amendment re: Birthright Citizenship. Perhaps you should read it again.

Quote:
Every day, pregnant Mexican and Central American women on the verge of giving birth make their way across the U.S. border to have their babies in American hospitals. These children become the so-called “anchor babies.” While here, the women often have more children.

Once the child is born on American soil, he or she instantly attains U.S. citizenship. Not only are the parents almost always allowed to stay, but since they have no income, the baby is eligible for welfare, WIC, Food Stamps, etc.--all at the expense of the great American taxpayer.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I don’t know how the OP could have been more specific. The topic CLEARLY is the abuse of the 14th Amendment re: Birthright Citizenship. Perhaps you should read it again.
Then the topic title should have been more clear. In the biggest irony, I am being told to keep on-topic specifically to what the OP posted (since it said "Mexican and Central American" mothers, the chatter about any other nationalities needs to be addressed too). I would have thought you guys (and gals) would love to talk up unrestrained police going after (suspected) illegal aliens.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:

Wrong! Read the opening quotes from the article which is only about birthright citizenship. That is what this topic is about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration