Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 10:42 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,329,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Then the topic title should have been more clear. In the biggest irony, I am being told to keep on-topic specifically to what the OP posted (since it said "Mexican and Central American" mothers, the chatter about any other nationalities needs to be addressed too). I would have thought you guys (and gals) would love to talk up unrestrained police going after (suspected) illegal aliens.
It is common knowledge in here that when the 14th Amendment is being discussed that we are talking about birthright citizenship. Instead of just reading the topic heading why didn't you read the accompanying quotes from the article? Since it is mostly Mexicans and other Latinos scamming the 14th that is why they are the focus along with birth tourism by many Asians.

I don't recall anyone in here advocating for "unrestrained" going after suspected illegal aliens by the police. There are lawful guidelines in place first before they can question one's status in this country. You have a problem with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 10:47 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,575,861 times
Quote:
Then the topic title should have been more clear. In the biggest irony, I am being told to keep on-topic specifically to what the OP posted (since it said "Mexican and Central American" mothers, the chatter about any other nationalities needs to be addressed too). I would have thought you guys (and gals) would love to talk up unrestrained police going after (suspected) illegal aliens.
You only read the thread title, and not the posted intro? Well, if you didn’t know the topic before, you certainly do now.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:01 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,428,038 times
Seriously? There are actually people who think that it's "OK" that women hobble acorss the border to drop babies for the express purpose of receiveing welfare benefits? There are actually people on this board who think it's NOT a problem, or does not further strain limited resources?

I'm at a loss to understand such warped perspectives. An Amendment to the 14th Amendment would work, but I don't think anyone has the political courage to bring it (despite it probably getting wide spread support once made an issue of national attention).

Old 07-29-2011, 11:03 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,851,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It is common knowledge in here that when the 14th Amendment is being discussed that we are talking about birthright citizenship. Instead of just reading the topic heading why didn't you read the accompanying quotes from the article? Since it is mostly Mexicans and other Latinos scamming the 14th that is why they are the focus along with birth tourism by many Asians...
So when someone announces here on the forum that the 14th Amendment should be voided, everyone can relax that Due Process or Equal Protection is not at risk? Talk of "Birth Tourism" is also out-of-place on this particular topic, unless the off-site article covered it as well? Of course not that any topics have "evolved" from the OP before (that must be the reason for as many duplicate posts too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
...I don't recall anyone in here advocating for "unrestrained" going after suspected illegal aliens by the police. There are lawful guidelines in place first before they can question one's status in this country. You have a problem with that?
I suspected your account had been hijacked on this second paragraph. Get real, this is the enormous elephant in the room. My post #36 would have got me over 10 rep points if I was specific other members here instead.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
You only read the thread title, and not the posted intro? Well, if you didn’t know the topic before, you certainly do now.
I actually read the referenced article on a few separate occasions. We'll need to discuss how the author (Dave Gibson) has a figure of $118 billion annually for 350,000 births without sourcing the data. In reality, I feel relief that I actually understand the 14th Amendment is more than jus soli, rather than feeling schooled.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
So when someone announces here on the forum that the 14th Amendment should be voided, everyone can relax that Due Process or Equal Protection is not at risk? Talk of "Birth Tourism" is also out-of-place on this particular topic, unless the off-site article covered it as well? Of course not that any topics have "evolved" from the OP before (that must be the reason for as many duplicate posts too).

I suspected your account had been hijacked on this second paragraph. Get real, this is the enormous elephant in the room. My post #36 would have got me over 10 rep points if I was specific other members here instead.
At least make an attempt to remain on topic. The OP does not involve “due process” or “equal protection.” It is strictly a discussion on the abuse of Birthright Citizenship by illegal aliens. And, the bolded sentence is incredibly juvenile.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I actually read the referenced article on a few separate occasions. We'll need to discuss how the author (Dave Gibson) has a figure of $118 billion annually for 350,000 births without sourcing the data. In reality, I feel relief that I actually understand the 14th Amendment is more than jus soli, rather than feeling schooled.
Yet, you feigned ignorance. How special.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
At least make an attempt to remain on topic. The OP does not involve “due process” or “equal protection.” It is strictly a discussion on the abuse of Birthright Citizenship by illegal aliens. And, the bolded sentence is incredibly juvenile.
Ok, I re-read the OP article again (and perhaps you should too):

...The portion which is now being exploited by illegal aliens reads as follows:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.”...

End quote. Dave Gibson didn't reduce it to just birthright citizenship, nor should we. He also didn't bring up "Birth Tourism" (assumed to be under valid B2 "tourist" visas, and thus not an "illegal alien" mother), so some other posts on the topic are out-of-place.

Also, the unbolded sentence is incredibly juvenile...

Old 07-29-2011, 11:39 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,329,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Seriously? There are actually people who think that it's "OK" that women hobble acorss the border to drop babies for the express purpose of receiveing welfare benefits? There are actually people on this board who think it's NOT a problem, or does not further strain limited resources?

I'm at a loss to understand such warped perspectives. An Amendment to the 14th Amendment would work, but I don't think anyone has the political courage to bring it (despite it probably getting wide spread support once made an issue of national attention).
What is even more alarming is that many of the people who don't have a problem with this travesty are American citizens. It is truly baffling, isn't it? I know many Hispanics don't have a problem with it because it is mostly their ethnic kind doing this but what about white, black, etc. Americans who don't have a problem with this? WTH?

Old 07-29-2011, 11:40 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,428,038 times
Quote:
Yet, you feigned ignorance. How special.
...apparently to divert attention from actually discussing the topic.

Anyone with elementary comprhension skills realized that this thread, located in the "illegal immigration" forum, was and is supposed to talk about abuse of birthright citizenship for the purposes of receiving social welfare benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration