Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 12:54 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,636,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
...chickenfriedbananas....snipped....if immigration were easier, they might not be in this situation to begin with.
could you explain this statement to me and I mean that respectfully.......

Old 07-31-2011, 12:56 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,333,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
they should stay in their countries and get in line to get in.....period ! I don't care if they send money back or not, they have no RIGHT to be here, mooching off this country and our limited resources, both natural and financial, in the current state of affairs.

Gosh, I hate these threads. The only reason the Somalians are not pouring into this country is because of an ocean and they need help worse than the mexicans, central and south Americans. Must we take them all ? These arguments are so circular...I get frustrated.
Somalians have other places they can go. Nobody is suggesting that we take them all. It's a matter of economics. You'd do the same thing if you were in their shoes, but you're not. So if you're not, why not just mind your own business? Nobody's harming you. Not even illegals.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:01 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,333,001 times
Quote:
could you explain this statement to me and I mean that respectfully.......
I mean that in two senses: if immigration were easier in the sense of not having long lines and paperwork and waiting periods, and I also mean that in the sense of their own mobility, or lack thereof. If it were easier for them to just submit an application, get on a bus with their families and find work that could support them all while they're here, they might stay with their families.

But who knows what kind of situation they're in. They're probably highly uneducated and completely ignorant about the realities of life in America, but because they're desperate enough to leave Guatemala, they're willing to take a chance. They probably get hooked up with some narcotics criminal syndicate which also 'invests' in the sick business of human trafficking. The families - again desperate and ignorant - are probably willing to pay large fees for one person to stuff them in a truck in brutal conditions in hopes that they can send money back to them. Of course a lot of the time they're probably getting scammed, but who knows, maybe once in a while it works out for someone they know.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:18 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,849,590 times
Quote:
they should stay in their countries and get in line to get in.....period ! I don't care if they send money back or not, they have no RIGHT to be here, mooching off this country and our limited resources, both natural and financial, in the current state of affairs.

Gosh, I hate these threads. The only reason the Somalians are not pouring into this country is because of an ocean and they need help worse than the mexicans, central and south Americans. Must we take them all ? These arguments are so circular...I get frustrated.
This thread was about children of illegal aliens "left behind". I provided an example earlier about a Nigerian whom had been through the "line" (student visa), but then deported after years of being out-of-status. He was removed from his U.S. citizen wife and children.

Where is that family supposed to live (luckily it has been resolved now)? Does an immigration violation penalty last forever? Do we have to take none of them?

Old 07-31-2011, 01:21 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,570,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
It's not entirely the fault of immigration policies, because you're right: we do allow about 1 million immigrants here legally each year. But unless you've been through that process yourself, you don't know how long and rigorous that process is. Moreover, there are many more who have tried and aren't accepted for whatever reason. Further still, there are people south of our borders who are desperate. Who knows, they might be desperate and uneducated enough to get duped by unscrupulous scum to believe that they can actually make many times the amount of money they make in their countries doing the same amount of labor, if not less. What would some peasant on a farm in Guatemala understand about life in America? What would they know about how hard it actually is to make it here? Probably not much. Put yourself in their shoes, dude. Try to, at least.
First, let’s get something clear. I am not a “dude." I am a woman.

Like every country in the world, we have standards and criteria by which we determine who will or will not be admitted to our country. Some qualify, while others do not. Those who do not, must accept our decision as a sovereign nation, and choose other means to support themselves and their families. The citizens of the U.S. have no legal or moral obligation to offer opportunities and benefits to the impoverished of other countries. That is the responsibility of their respective governments.

If you applied to a college and your application was denied, would you accept the decision? Or, would you arrive at the campus expecting a room in a dorm, the right to attend classes, take exams, receive grades, and ultimately participate in the graduation and receive a degree? Of course not! So, why should you expect us to embrace foreigners who are living in this country without our permission?

Quote:
We're not a dumping ground; we're a developed nation that's next door to many nations that are not developed, and people are naturally going to seek opportunity wherever they can find it. Some are smarter about it than others.
Sorry, but we are indeed a dumping ground, and the laughingstock of the world. No other country would tolerate this level of unabated massive illegal immigration, especially not to the detriment of its own citizens.

Quote:
Of course you don't care, because it doesn't involve you. But if you're trying to understand how and why people come over here, then you need to try to understand where individual people come from. You're seemingly uninterested in trying to understand these people, because you're convinced that doing so is "liberal" and that it's some sort of sissified thing to do, trying to understand what motivates some to 'break the law'.
My ability to “understand” their motives for coming here does not change the fact that this is an unsustainable burden. Likewise, I understand why some people sell drugs, but I still do not condone it.

Quote:
In no way am I justifying the abandonment of children, and I made that very clear. What I have said is that we need to understand how someone can end up making the kinds of decisions that might make separating from their children possible. The fact is that, typically, family plays a much stronger role in Latin American society than it does in individualistic North America, so I am guessing that any form of "abandonment" is done so very carefully in most cases. Leaving a child in the custody of grandparents, aunts, uncles, brothers, and sisters, and in the greater extended families that typify Latin American societies like those in Guatemala is much, much different than someone from inner city Chicago or some trailer park in Georgia who pumps his girlfriend and leaves for the next city 'cause he can't deal with the consequences.

The idea of having a child with a new family in America? I don't think I really agree with that, but again, think about the situation and try to imagine if there might be another explanation here. What if she felt that she can't go back home? What if she felt that she had no money to get back home? What if she knew that her children were being raised by the extended family and that she trusted her family to do that job right? Obviously not every situation works out well in the end, but not every two-parent nuclear household works out for the best either. At any rate, it's a much different situation than the one you're thinking about, which is the one that immediately springs to mind in the imagination of the average American.
But, this particular woman is well aware of the negative environment her son is being forced to endure. So, let’s not try to make excuses for her. Yes, some may leave their children with responsible relatives. However, again, there simply is no substitute for a mother’s love. As a mother, I could never have left my son. Nor could I ever possibly enjoy life knowing that I would never see him again. But, that’s just me. Her desire to enter this country was strong enough for her to overcome numerous obstacles. Had she a similar desire to be reunited with her son, she would likewise find a way.

Quote:
Of course not, but we should not use half-assed examples to make some point about illegal immigration when these examples could be just as easily found in and applied to everyone else. Like when some guy robs a convenience store and people want to blame illegal immigration...everyone knows that legally born U.S. citizens are easily capable of the same thing, so why make an example of it?
This is an article pertaining to children left behind by their parents. Please specify the half-assed examples.

By the way, I notice you didn’t comment on illegal aliens remaining home and fighting for their rights like the “Negroes” did in this country. Do you believe they are incapable of doing the same?

Old 07-31-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Somalians have other places they can go. Nobody is suggesting that we take them all. It's a matter of economics. You'd do the same thing if you were in their shoes, but you're not. So if you're not, why not just mind your own business? Nobody's harming you. Not even illegals.
As citizens of this country, whose tax dollars are supporting millions of illegal aliens, it damn sure IS our business.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
I mean that in two senses: if immigration were easier in the sense of not having long lines and paperwork and waiting periods, and I also mean that in the sense of their own mobility, or lack thereof. If it were easier for them to just submit an application, get on a bus with their families and find work that could support them all while they're here, they might stay with their families.

But who knows what kind of situation they're in. They're probably highly uneducated and completely ignorant about the realities of life in America, but because they're desperate enough to leave Guatemala, they're willing to take a chance. They probably get hooked up with some narcotics criminal syndicate which also 'invests' in the sick business of human trafficking. The families - again desperate and ignorant - are probably willing to pay large fees for one person to stuff them in a truck in brutal conditions in hopes that they can send money back to them. Of course a lot of the time they're probably getting scammed, but who knows, maybe once in a while it works out for someone they know.
The U.S. border isn’t an entrance booth at an amusement park. We are a sovereign nation, with every right to dictate our immigration laws. If you are so concerned about the impoverished from Mexico and other nations, why don’t you work with their governments to improve conditions? We don’t owe them a damn thing.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:44 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,306,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
As citizens of this country, whose tax dollars are supporting millions of illegal aliens, it damn sure IS our business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
The U.S. border isn’t an entrance booth at an amusement park. We are a sovereign nation, with every right to dictate our immigration laws. If you are so concerned about the impoverished from Mexico and other nations, why don’t you work with their governments to improve conditions? We don’t owe them damn thing.
You are making a lot of sense. We have plenty of criminals, don't need anymore.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:44 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,939,614 times
Some of the commentors on the website don't really get it. I think this article is actually CRITICAL of illegal immigration for the effects it has on Latin American countries.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:40 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:

Why should it be easier? Just so these irresponsible breeders can get in even easier than they do now?

When del Cid left, she promised her sons a Nintendo, brand-name shoes, clothes, phones, computers, but she has not always delivered.

This is desperate???? This is materialistic, greedy, money-hungry. Notice she didn't abandon them to feed them, it was for the luxuries, and we don't need these people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.