Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 08:43 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,308,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Good question. I'd like to know the answer to that also. At one time we were a nation of immigrants but not so today. Today we are a nation of Americans with our own identity, culture and language while still allowing in legal immigrants. Our native born population way outnumbers any immigrants coming here today. Why is it that our country is not allowed to retain its identity as a nation without being demonized for that?
Yeah, why is that? Japan has the most racist country in the world and they are not demonized. They are proud of their heritage, why can't we?????

We let in more 'immigrants' than all of the rest of the world combined. How can we possibly be criticised for keeping CRIMINAL illegal aliens out?????

Old 08-01-2011, 08:52 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,336,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Yeah, why is that? Japan has the most racist country in the world and they are not demonized. They are proud of their heritage, why can't we?????

We let in more 'immigrants' than all of the rest of the world combined. How can we possibly be criticised for keeping CRIMINAL illegal aliens out?????
Assuming your premise is true, why would we aspire to be among the most racist countries in the world? It seems to be the only people who would are, in fact, racist themselves. Of course now I'm sure people will come out and deny it and hide behind the usual "They're breaking the law" responses.

I just get the feeling that whenever you dig a little deeper, concern over immigration is not really about immigration. It's about racial "pollution", isn't it?

Old 08-01-2011, 09:26 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,851,628 times
Quote:
Because I am not an illegal alien sympathizer, that's why. As i said, most likely he stole a job from an American and perhaps an American's SS number and/or I.D. to work here which is a felony.
Wouldn't that be that you are also not a former-illegal alien sympathizer, as Uzo is now a legal immigrant?...

Old 08-01-2011, 09:55 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,575,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I haven't seen this video, but assuming what you say is true, okay, you're right in this case. Bad mother, then.

But there are plenty of bad mothers who are born here. Let's not use one example and let it speak for the whole.
This is not simply an issue of bad parenting. Nor is it an indictment of illegal alien parents in general. Rather, I posted this article to address a serious issue related to illegal immigration. Parents have left their children to illegally pursue the American Dream, and an unknown number never return. This is a tragedy, not to be trivialized or dismissed as irrelevant simply to avoid exposing the truth. It is common knowledge that abandonment can be found among citizens from all nationalities, including Americans. But, that is not the issue, or the topic of this thread.

Why is it always assumed that one is broad-brushing illegal aliens? This is a real problem, involving real children, and ignoring it won’t make it cease to exist. The truth of the matter is we don’t know that this isn’t a widespread practice. Do we? It definitely isn’t “one example” as you allege. The first article links to a charity organization established to assist these children.

If we were discussing teen pregnancy, would anyone get upset and accuse others of maligning all teens for daring to discuss the topic? Would you feel all teens were being unfairly targeted? I think not.

Quote:
Mexico has a very high rate of migration and many families are torn apart by the migration of one or both parents. The effects of migration on the children left behind are emotionally, developmentally, and scholastically devastating. Children have trouble performing in school, act out, or become timid and withdrawn. In communities with high rates of migration, this program supports children in developing life skills and assists caregivers in developing skills to support these children.
The Children Left Behind - GlobalGiving

Quote:
However, when family caregivers migrate to the USA, the remaining members in Mexico struggle to meet the family's needs and children are more vulnerable to educational, emotional, and health problems. Children in households where a caregiver migrated were more likely to have frequent illnesses (10% vs. 3%, p<0.0001), chronic illness (7% vs. 3%, p=0.011), emotional problems (10% vs. 4%, p=0.006), and behavioral problems (17% vs. 10%, p=0.018) compared with children in households where the migrant was not a caregiver.
Taylor & Francis Online :: The impact of migration on the well-being of transnational families: new data from sending communities in Mexico - Community, Work & Family - Volume 12, Issue 1

While the following isn’t specific to Mexico or the major countries from which most illegal aliens in the U.S. originate, it is nonetheless applicable.

Quote:
The psychological repercussions of being left behind have clear and grave consequences on the children of labour migrants. Vulnerability to exploitation, (sexual) abuse, child labour, trafficking, depression, decreased performance in school, dropping out of school and behavioural problems are only a few outcomes. It is important to focus on these because to some, according to the 2008 UNICEF report entitled “The Impact of Parental Deprivation on the Development of Children Left Behind by Moldovan Migrants”, it is still a prevalent view that remittance flows from parents automatically lead to improvements in family wellbeing. This is not always the case.
Impact of labour migration on children that are left behind. | Migration for development

Old 08-01-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Well, you seem pretty passionate about the issue - more so than I am at the moment. At any rate, most of the official data I've seen suggests that illegal immigration is actually on the decline, so I guess we can rejoice then.

My wife is a legal immigrant, so I can't really say I disagree with you. I think it should be done the right way, all other things equal. But knowing the immigration process fairly well, and having lived as a temporary immigrant in another country, I guess I am a bit more understanding and sympathetic to what the average immigrant deals with, and I could at least understand why some would be willing to take a chance. In my experience, the difference between those who are permitted to land in a given country and those that aren't isn't virtue; it's skills and perhaps fortuitous circumstances for some, and not so good circumstances for others.
Yes, I am very passionate. I don’t know about other regions of the country, but I certainly haven’t witnessed a decline in the DC area. Nor will I rejoice until our laws are enforced, our borders are secured, and most illegal aliens have left.

I was married to a legal immigrant for almost 20 years. And, he played by all of the rules, and jumped through numerous hoops to become a naturalized citizen. My passion pales in comparison to his. And, he’s a designated “Hispanic” from Argentina.

I fully understand why illegal aliens come to this country. Why wouldn’t they? The entire world knows the U.S. has become an illegal alien haven, complete with generous government freebies.

Yes, the educated immigrants have an advantage, and rightly so. My ex came to the U.S. to attend medical school. Why wouldn’t we want him, as opposed to someone with a 5th grade education, with 6 children, who will survive in this country from government handouts?

We cannot save the entire world. Nor are we responsible for Mexico’s underclass. Too many have allowed compassion to cloud their judgment. I empathize with those less fortunate, but I am not willing to drown on a sinking ship just to prove my benevolence.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
US citizens commit those crimes, too! OMG NOW WHAT??? We better keep all US Citizens out because SOME OF THEM are BAD APPLES!!!
We hear the same banal argument spewed by pro-illegals in response to every negative comment. C’mon, think of something different to use in defense of illegal immigration. Repeating the same, “But citizens do it too” is not only NOT a defense, but it only serves as confirmation of your utter lack of anything of substance. It is also reminiscent of my childhood when a kid would say, “Well, she did it too!” That doesn’t make it right. Nor does it justify the behavior. It’s simply an excuse, when you have no defense.

A couple of years ago, after listening to incessant whining, I challenged pro-illegals to post positive illegal alien articles. The result was one article involving an illegal alien who saved a boy’s life after he was injured in an accident. One article. If you’re sick of reading articles you believe bash illegals, why don’t you post something positive? If illegals are as great as you claim, there should be plenty to post. I don’t mean statistics and studies. Post articles on actual illegal aliens who are making a positive contribution to this country. And, not the illegal who won the Pulitzer Prize. We have already discussed him.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Do you know what a goalpost shift is? Actually, motive frequently overlaps with and/or demonstrates intent. Don't worry about it though.
Why would I worry? However, intent and motive are legally considered separate and distinct. For example, the 9/11 terrorists had the intent to commit mass murder by flying planes into buildings. But, their motive for their intent was their radical Islamic ideology, and hatred of the West, most notably the USA. Nevertheless, this isn’t the topic of this thread, so I won’t belabor the issue.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:29 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,212,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Why would I worry? However, intent and motive are legally considered separate and distinct. For example, the 9/11 terrorists had the intent to commit mass murder by flying planes into buildings. But, their motive for their intent was their radical Islamic ideology, and hatred of the West, most notably the USA. Nevertheless, this isn’t the topic of this thread, so I won’t belabor the issue.
Your comment was:

Quote:
You cannot compare the intent involved in murder, with that of parents abandoning their children.
I simply said that you could. The intent/motive distinction was brought up by you later on.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:10 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,329,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Wouldn't that be that you are also not a former-illegal alien sympathizer, as Uzo is now a legal immigrant?...
He may be but I object to illegal aliens being given a pass just because they married a U.S. spouse especially if they have worked here with fake or stolen I.D.'s prior to their legalization.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:34 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,851,628 times
Quote:
He may be but I object to illegal aliens being given a pass just because they married a U.S. spouse especially if they have worked here with fake or stolen I.D.'s prior to their legalization.
So, even attaining U.S. citizenship, you would not relate them to having that position legitimately, because of that former illegal alien status?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.