Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 10:38 AM

90,295 posts, read 121,148,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Most have children both here and at home. After all they came here in the first place so they can feed their families -- those children they chose to have but could not support back home and because they chose to have them at very young ages and before they could finish school. And they cannot leave because they have children here -- in spite of the much higher cost of living.

Yes they have larger families than Americans - but lower skills and education levels. Yes, they expect to continue receiving free health care and much much more. The birth rates of illegals is much higher than those of middle class Americans, in spite of the fact they cannot afford high health care costs here.
Yes, they just have huge families there. Note the largest families are from areas farthest from the US, least likely to immigrate here.

The average size of households in Mexico in 2010 | Geo-Mexico, the geography of Mexico
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 11:04 AM

951 posts, read 747,938 times
I wanted to figure the percent of illegal population receiving welfare using Benicar's sources. Researching, I found that the first one, the only one without a reference to PEW was actually from a CIS study and counts things like reduced school lunch as welfare. I couldn't find any other information so we'll just use 57% in our figures.

Quote:
"According to a report by the Pew Hispanic Center, a think tank that has done extensive research on immigration policy, 3.8 million undocumented immigrants have at least one child who is a citizen.
So we've got approximately 3.8 million with children that would qualify for assistance according to PEW. 57% of those families use some form of welfare. That gives us roughly 2.17 million children that qualify for welfare. Using the PEW's estimate of roughly 12 million people ONLY 18% of illegal aliens have a kid(s) that is using welfare.

Also, even CIS basically confirms this as well:

Quote:
CIS: Our findings show that many of the preconceived notions about the fiscal impact of illegal households turn out to be inaccurate. In terms of welfare use, receipt of cash assistance programs tends to be very low, while Medicaid use, though significant, is still less than for other households. Only use of food assistance programs is significantly higher than that of the rest of the population. Also, contrary to the perceptions that illegal aliens don’t pay payroll taxes, we estimate that more than half of illegals work “on the books.”

Cost of Illegal Immigrants | FactCheck.org

Last edited by huddledmasses; 08-13-2011 at 11:20 AM..

Old 08-13-2011, 11:34 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,612,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I did you one better than that. I actually read the link in the post. I also looked up a less biased source.

U.S. grants $28.8 million to community health centers | Reuters

So part of the money does come from the health care overhaul, and the rest from general appropriations. However, all it says about "illegals" is that health care workers do not have to inquire about their patients' immigration status.
The bolded proves the point of this thread. Without a means to determine the status of those offered Obamacare, Obama should not have emphatically stated, “the reforms I’m proposing will not apply to those who are here illegally.” It IS a lie. If he truly intended for this to ONLY apply to those with a legal presence, he would have required measures to prevent illegals from participating, which Obamacare clearly does not.

It would be similar to our laws prohibiting minors from purchasing alcoholic beverages, without requiring liquor stores or bars to check ID. You can’t restrict participation, without having a means by which to restrict. It’s pointless.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
LOL I have no problem with your PEW sources. They are fine. The problem is that you are fine with your own sources until I provide information contradictory to your agenda FROM THE SAME SOURCES. Then, those same sources you stood behind are all of a sudden suspect. In other words, you are a fraud.
No, I am not “fine” with ANY source. I won’t be fine until we have an accurate accounting of the number of illegals in this country, and their costs to taxpayers. Until then, everything is a guesstimate.

My concern is that we have far more illegals in this country, and they are costing us far more than anyone could imagine. Given our economic woes, there is absolutely no reason the taxpayers of this country should be forced to support untold millions of illegal aliens, when we can barely support our own. This isn’t charitable behavior; it’s stupid.

You are a supporter of LIARS, CHEATS, THIEVES, AND FRAUDS, and have the temerity to call me a fraud? Thanks for the laugh.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I wanted to figure the percent of illegal population receiving welfare using Benicar's sources. Researching, I found that the first one, the only one without a reference to PEW was actually from a CIS study and counts things like reduced school lunch as welfare. I couldn't find any other information so we'll just use 57% in our figures.

So we've got approximately 3.8 million with children that would qualify for assistance according to PEW. 57% of those families use some form of welfare. That gives us roughly 2.17 million children that qualify for welfare. Using the PEW's estimate of roughly 12 million people ONLY 18% of illegal aliens have a kid(s) that is using welfare.

For the umpteenth time, no one knows how many illegals are in this county. Therefore, they CAN’T possibly know the number of children they have, the percentage with children, or for that matter, anything else pertaining to illegal immigration. It’s all speculation.

Supporters of illegal alienss tend to underestimate their burden, while the other side tends to inflate. But, in the final analysis, no one knows. However, based on the gross miscalculation in 1986, I believe the anti-illegals, while also probably far from correct, are closer to the truth than the peddlers/profiteers of illegal immigration.

Have fun grasping at straws. . . .

Old 08-13-2011, 12:40 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,862,694 times
Quote:

Another factor is an illegal alien with a ¨Significant Other¨ of a U.S. citizen (estimated at two million in the United States in an illegal alien to U.S. citizen relationship), to have those U.S. citizen children. The reverse statistic (although not accounting for the immigration status, or lack thereof, of the child) is that six million children in the United States have at least one illegal alien parent. Within the last few years, the major healthcare insurance providers are requiring Social Security numbers for everyone in the family to be covered by a policy.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
N
You are a supporter of LIARS, CHEATS, THIEVES, AND FRAUDS, and have the temerity to call me a fraud? Thanks for the laugh.
Repeating this mantra doesn't make it true. Wanting laws changed so people can flow freely isn't supporting any crime. Maybe in like a few more months you'll catch on to this faulty logic.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
For the umpteenth time, no one knows how many illegals are in this county. Therefore, they CAN’T possibly know the number of children they have, the percentage with children, or for that matter, anything else pertaining to illegal immigration. It’s all speculation.
Wrong. Those kids are U.S. citizens and therefore easier to account for.

Quote:
An important caveat here is that the vast majority of children of unauthorized immigrants (and legal immigrants) are born in the United States. Because most children of unauthorized immigrants are born here, a clearer picture of the demographic structure of unauthorized immigrants and their families emerges from an analysis of household/family structure and the living arrangements of individuals.
http://pewhispanic.org/files/reports/107.pdf

So. That number is presumably fairly accurate. The only issue you could possibly argue is the total population but just so you know, the higher we go towards 30 million illegals, the lower the percentage of illegals that 1. have kids 2. use welfare.

Quote:
Have fun grasping at straws. . . .
LOL. OK. Just for fun:

Cliffs:

1. I make a claim that only approx. 1/3 of the illegal population have children - source: PEW

2. Benicar says that figure is BS and posts a bunch of other figures about fertility rates and other nonsense - source: PEW

3. I post the actual link stating how many illegals have children - source: PEW

4. Benicar now claims the PEW studies she was just referencing are bogus since they no longer fit her agenda.

5. I show that only approx. 18% of illegal immigrants have a kid or kids that qualify for welfare and are actually using it using Benicar's own sources.

4. Benicar: "All estimates are just guesses! No one knows the true figures yet I'm going to claim they are a SCOURGE and all come here to leech welfare!!!! Herp a derp!!!"

Last edited by huddledmasses; 08-13-2011 at 01:10 PM..

Old 08-15-2011, 03:30 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,756,160 times
25 deleted posts later I think it's time to remind everybody to remain on topic and stop getting personal.
Yac.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:51 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,356,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Another factor is an illegal alien with a ¨Significant Other¨ of a U.S. citizen (estimated at two million in the United States in an illegal alien to U.S. citizen relationship), to have those U.S. citizen children. The reverse statistic (although not accounting for the immigration status, or lack thereof, of the child) is that six million children in the United States have at least one illegal alien parent. Within the last few years, the major healthcare insurance providers are requiring Social Security numbers for everyone in the family to be covered by a policy.
I find it totally appalling that 6 million children in this country have at least one illegal alien parent, don't you? Did I just here a pin drop?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration