Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 10:13 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,877,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Hmm? I'm saying that the war on drugs is expensive because it costs so much to enforce. We'll still have police, but we'll pay less for them because they won't be drug warring.

Around here the majority of drug users are caught by following the thefts perpetrated to buy their drugs. Most users can't hold a job.

I will say though that I think we would be better served by sending drug users to facilities more geared toward rehab than prisons. Especially if it were cheaper. But DEA won't ever go away IMO. Gotta have those government jobs. And once someone has power they aren't likely to give it up.

Would businesses still be able to do drug testing or would that be discriminating? I saw where a trucking firm was sued when they found out one of their drivers was an alcoholic and offered him a dock job at lower pay because they didn't want him on the road. I guess alcoholism is a disability and the trucking co. had to rehire him, pay back wages and of course pain and suffering. Would be interesting to see people on meth in the workforce. If they could work a couple days undetected they could have their employers paying them a salary for doing nothing forever under the threat of a law suit.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:32 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,215,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Around here the majority of drug users are caught by following the thefts perpetrated to buy their drugs. Most users can't hold a job.
Where is "around here"? Because that is absolutely not the norm. Most users, BTW, actually do hold jobs. You may note that the percentage of the population that uses the drug alcohol is astronomically high, and yet society remains intact.

Quote:
Would businesses still be able to do drug testing or would that be discriminating? I saw where a trucking firm was sued when they found out one of their drivers was an alcoholic and offered him a dock job at lower pay because they didn't want him on the road. I guess alcoholism is a disability and the trucking co. had to rehire him, pay back wages and of course pain and suffering. Would be interesting to see people on meth in the workforce. If they could work a couple days undetected they could have their employers paying them a salary for doing nothing forever under the threat of a law suit.
This would all depend on how the legislation developed. I doubt that testing would ever open a company up to that sort of liability, but I suppose some crazy liberal state could attempt to do it.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:36 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,351,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Look, here's the reality ... these people arent going to just vanish into thin air the moment we legalize pot. They arent going away. Legalization could make them even more desperate and kill even more people.

You don't seem to understand that there is NOTHING between them and us.
Calm down before you have a heart attack or a nervous break down. The population of illegal immigration is actually on the decline, and probably has been steadily for the past four years.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Looks like it ain't just the borders that aren't secure anymore. At what point is it an invasion?
You seem paranoid.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:40 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,540,064 times
Quote:
Where is "around here"? Because that is absolutely not the norm. Most users, BTW, actually do hold jobs. You may note that the percentage of the population that uses the drug alcohol is astronomically high, and yet society remains intact.

This would all depend on how the legislation developed. I doubt that testing would ever open a company up to that sort of liability, but I suppose some crazy liberal state could attempt to do it.
Exactly.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obey_The_Laws View Post
It's the governments fault for not upholding the laws. The drug smugglers are shooting AR-15's and AK-47's at each other in the Arizona desert near public roads and highways. Last week a drug mule shot at a rest stop because police officers were there. They found his drugs and his AK-47, last I heard they had a "person of interest" in custody. The cost of treating drug users in America will come out of all our pockets. Also, we'll have to pay for the incarceration of drug users too!

National Drug Threat Assessment 2011

http://www.justice.gov/ndic/pubs44/44849/44849p.pdf

Impact on Health and Healthcare Systems

Page 4

NDIC estimates yearly drug-related health-care cost to be more than $11 billion including both direct and indirect costs related to medical intervention, such as emergency services, in-patient drug treatment, and drug use prevention and treatment research. In addition, the nation's health is plagued by numerous other ills arising from drug abuse, including driving under the influence of drugs, parental neglect, and exposure to toxic methamphetamine laboratories.
It's the laws in the first place that are causing the problems -- well that and our society.

It's American laws that create a black market, and it's Americans themselves that are fueling a lucrative demand. The drug dealers are merely providing the supply. There's too much money on the table to ignore. We can build the biggest fence in the world. They'll just put it on cargo ships or find some other way to get it in. Walls won't stop them. Fear won't stop them. Intelligence might.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:

Maybe pot smokers. Will legalizing pot stop the cartels or dismantle the DEA? I don't think so.

Considering the example I gave you...what would you think?

Old 09-30-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
You seem paranoid.

You seem naive'.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:07 PM

838 posts, read 925,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
No, no need to secure the border. lets just accept and go with the flow. Hey lets make all those harmless drugs legal so that we not only have to contend with drunk drivers but stoners too. We all know how much fun it is to work with stoners. Yeah I know they will only do their crap when not at work. Really???? At least a drunk you can smell.
Now to be honest I have waste little compassion on addicts. Its a self inflicted problem and we were all taught what happens when you do drugs and some idiots just can't learn. However I am thinking about the innocent people hurt by drugs. The drive by shootings, society in general.
We went to war over 3000+ casualties on 911. Yet every year US citizens fall victim to the drug cartels, illegals driving drunk, criminals that cross the border and ply their ways only to be deported and return. Return because we do not secure ourselves against a very real threat. A threat that has already cost us lives measured in the thousands. Our prison population is testimony to this fact.
I used to think just like you until much research on drug war and addiction over the years led me to the truth. Our government is in the drug business with big profits for entire law enforcement system. They let just so much drugs come in and keep some out of Mexico, kind of a show and tell. They let cartels come in and stay here who lure kids into addiction, try a little of this it's like a cigarette, try a little wine first. Drug addiction is classified as a mental illness, a biochemical brain disease. We were not all taught not to use drugs/alcohol/cigarettes, addiction tends to be genetic. DECRIMINALIZATION is what is needed, not necessarily legalization. This will stop failed drug war by stopping cartels from profiting, and to accomplish this we must vote in people who want to stop it, like Ron Paul. Otherwise, government corruption we see here with illegal immigration and drug cartels will continue.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:20 PM

838 posts, read 925,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
It's the laws in the first place that are causing the problems -- well that and our society.

It's American laws that create a black market, and it's Americans themselves that are fueling a lucrative demand. The drug dealers are merely providing the supply. There's too much money on the table to ignore. We can build the biggest fence in the world. They'll just put it on cargo ships or find some other way to get it in. Walls won't stop them. Fear won't stop them. Intelligence might.
This is why the profit must be taken out of the picture, the failed drug war must end. Drugs produced in Mexico like Meth and cocaine are both highly addictive, the cartel dealers lure kids/people with drugs and they become addicted in U.S. and in Mexico although more here since the dollar has more value thus more profit. Also cartels don't want to addict Mexicans they say since meth is so dangerous. Before the drug epidemics came in the mid 80's there were not all these addicts. First come the drugs, then come the addicts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration