Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 02:42 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,862,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
To address your last sentence. If their parents are citizens or legal immigrants in this country then they would or should know English. It is usually kids with illegal parents that only learn Spanish in the home before they enter school.
In your opinion...

First enrolled, my younger two (with me as a U.S. citizen, and my Mexican wife, cluing in others than yourself) went through about a schoolyear or less being helped in a regular classroom. Our eldest was able to be immediately mainstreamed in the High School with the English she learned from the Mexican school system (the requirements at that time were classes for two years, she also enrolled in an after-hours class of English at a private school before coming here). Kids absorb a new language very quickly, especially if they want to pick up the terminology of their classmates.

You want to make ESL into an illegal immigration issue, where it is not. The "demanding to be taught in THEIR language!" stuff just isn't true (a Brother-In-Law of mine returned to Mexico with his family, with his daughter only familiar with English). Typically kids just need a minor amount of assistance, and you mix them in with everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 02:48 PM

50,603 posts, read 47,437,219 times
Quote:
To address your last sentence. If their parents are citizens or legal immigrants in this country then they would or should know English. It is usually kids with illegal parents that only learn Spanish in the home before they enter school and are in need of ESL classes.
Thank you, that is my point. People can try and cover this, twist it any way they want. If the Illegal Parents weren't here, their kids, whether legal or illegal wouldn't be.

The Teachers that I have talked to are elated this noose has been removed from their class rooms. I can imagine that the burden on the schools close to the border is now a serious problem.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:50 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,355,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
In your opinion...

First enrolled, my younger two (with me as a U.S. citizen, and my Mexican wife, cluing in others than yourself) went through about a schoolyear or less being helped in a regular classroom. Our eldest was able to be immediately mainstreamed in the High School with the English she learned from the Mexican school system (the requirements at that time were classes for two years, she also enrolled in an after-hours class of English at a private school before coming here). Kids absorb a new language very quickly, especially if they want to pick up the terminology of their classmates.

You want to make ESL into an illegal immigration issue, where it is not. The "demanding to be taught in THEIR language!" stuff just isn't true (a Brother-In-Law of mine returned to Mexico with his family, with his daughter only familiar with English). Typically kids just need a minor amount of assistance, and you mix them in with everyone else.
The fact remains that when a pre-school child is only spoken to in Spanish or some other foreign language in their homes by their parents, when they enter school they will require ESL classes. It is usually homes where the parents are here illegally and only know the language of their homelands.

I am for English immersion regardless, not classes where the foreign student slows down native English speaking students by requiring special attention and added resources.

Your situation is different as there was one Enlish speaking parent in the household. Not many Americans bring a foreign wife to this country with 3 kids that don't speak our language or know very little of it.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:57 PM

50,603 posts, read 47,437,219 times
Quote:
The fact remains that when a pre-school child is only spoken to in Spanish or some other foreign language in their homes by their parents, when they enter school they will require ESL classes. It is usually homes where the parents are here illegally and only know the language of their homelands.

I am for English immersion regardless, not classes where the foreign student slows down native English speaking students by requiring special attention and added resources.

Your situation is different as there was one Enlish speaking parent in the household. Not many Americans bring a foreign wife to this country with 3 kids that don't speak our language or know very little of it.
Some of the deeper issues that come from having these kids in our schools (ESL illegal immigrants) is that it detracts from other kids and the amount of time the Teacher is available to actually teach the entire class. The ESL kid's Parents have zero involvement in the school itself. You never see the Parents, they attend no functions, they give nothing back to the school at all. It is all take.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Your step children are not crossing through a U.S. Port of Entry to go to school however, they live here in the U.S. and are here legally so why even make that comparison?
Many of the schoolchildren coming through that Port of Entry have more status to be in the United States than my own kids do - They are U.S. citizens. With a passport, they can't even be refused entry. My comment came in ironic response to "Obey_The_Laws", whom obviously doesn't think that Mexican kids (like mine) should be allowed to go to American schools.

Even though they couldn't picked out individually, watching at the end of a schoolday like you had said...

Times-a-wasting for the opportunity if you try to do it today, because it will happen within the next 30 minutes...

Old 10-03-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Did I say otherwise? However there is a difference between what is a biological child and a step child. That doesn't mean that one can't care as much for the latter as much as the former. It is just a biological clarification.
Yeah, we've be through that genetic "clarification" from you too...

Interesting enough that you can use more specific terminology when you feel inclined to do so...

Old 10-03-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Many of the schoolchildren coming through that Port of Entry have more status to be in the United States than my own kids do - They are U.S. citizens. With a passport, they can't even be refused entry. My comment came in ironic response to "Obey_The_Laws", whom obviously doesn't think that Mexican kids (like mine) should be allowed to go to American schools.

Even though they couldn't picked out individually, watching at the end of a schoolday like you had said...

Times-a-wasting for the opportunity if you try to do it today, because it will happen within the next 30 minutes...
I'm not convinced that all these kids coming through a Port of Entry to attend our schools are being checked for status in this country. Afterall, our border security has been pretty lapse. And yes, that is my "opinion". It is still irritating that some of these kids are U.S. citizens by virtue of their parent's illegal entry and birth in our country also. That is an issue about changing birthright citizenship and another topic, however.

Is that really what "Obey The Laws" actually said. Or did he/she just say Mexicans and was referring to the illegal alien kind? I mean if a Mexican is here legally that really isn't an issue.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Yeah, we've be through that genetic "clarification" from you too...

Interesting enough that you can use more specific terminology when you feel inclined to do so...
I feel inclined to do so when someone is denying a part of their genetics or claiming to be something they aren't. It isn't specific terminology as much as it is using correct terminology. Why would anyone have a problem with using correct terms in identifying themself?

Old 10-03-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
...Your situation is different as there was one Enlish speaking parent in the household. Not many Americans bring a foreign wife to this country with 3 kids that don't speak our language or know very little of it.
It happens often enough. I wonder what it is going to be like when a classmate of mine returns with his Korean wife and kids (another is a Pastor, and adopted a couple Chinese children). At least Spanish was relatively very easy for my school district to handle.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:55 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,495,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
Sink or swim. The Italians had to man up, become American or go back home. Not sure of the numbers but they came here legaly. I said Italian cause there language is close to Spanish.
Thank you and their plight of getting here and becoming legal, i can tell you for fact, was not easy. You do not know what the Italians went thru, i did they went thru hell when they arrived here. All of my realitives become legal Ameriican Citizens, they would of never in those days thought of coming to this Country, but not becoming a Citizen, that was unheard of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration