Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 07:55 PM

387 posts, read 337,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
What in heaven's name are you talking about? We don't have enough jobs for our OWN people and you say training foreigners to compete with our own people is just dandy? That idea just comes from another planet.
You are suggesting that you would deprive US citizens of US jobs if they did not grow up in the continental 48?

Really?

Old 01-17-2012, 07:55 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,846,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
This should not be allowed.

With that said, these kids are not illegal aliens as long as they're legally crossing the border because they're not actually residing in the US. It's legal for Mexican citizens to cross the border into the US without visas for a certain period of time.
Border Crossing Cards are a subset of "Tourist" visas (B-2), within Texas, New Mexico, and California, it permits travel 25 miles from the border (within Arizona it is 75 miles), and a stay of up to 72 hours...

Old 01-17-2012, 07:56 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,455,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Border Crossing Cards are a subset of "Tourist" visas (B-2), within Texas, New Mexico, and California, it permits travel 25 miles from the border (within Arizona it is 75 miles), and a stay of up to 72 hours...
I was under the impression that Mexican citizens didn't need visas to legally enter the US at all as long as they weren't staying for a significant amount of time.

Americans can certainly legally visit Mexico without visas.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I am not aware of any public school system that does not require children to be residents of their district to attend school. In fact, a U.S. citizen living in NJ was fined for daring to send her child to a school out of her district. Heck, children can't even attend public schools in Mexico unless they are citizens. Or, perhaps they changed that policy with their new immigration laws intended to convince the U.S. to legalize their millions of citizens who brazenly flout our laws.
There are lots of places where residency requirements are ignored. Any school system losing enrollment is most interested in attracting nearby attendees.

Most schools are funded by the head.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:57 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,557,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
This should not be allowed.

With that said, these kids are not illegal aliens as long as they're legally crossing the border because they're not actually residing in the US. It's legal for Mexican citizens to cross the border into the US without visas for a certain period of time.
The problem is Mexican children are crossing our borders daily to attend school at U.S. taxpayers' expense. Again, children are required to reside in the district, which these children do not. Whether they cross legally or illegally, give me one good reason why we should pay for their education?

Old 01-17-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
The problem is Mexican children are crossing our borders daily to attend school at U.S. taxpayers' expense. Again, children are required to reside in the district, which these children do not. Whether they cross legally or illegally, give me one good reason why we should pay for their education?
They may well reside in the district. And the district may not care. Same result.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:00 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,846,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
What in heaven's name are you talking about? We don't have enough jobs for our OWN people and you say training foreigners to compete with our own people is just dandy? That idea just comes from another planet.
Read it again, I am saying if someone will be here as a U.S. citizen in their adult life, it would be preferable to educate (and assimilate) them here. These kids are the classic example. As U.S. citizens, they won't stay in Mexico forever.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:00 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,455,874 times
Quote:
We shouldn't, which I said.

The whole thing is absurd.

Actually, though I think we shouldn't be providing a taxpayer-funded education to illegal children who reside in the US, I can understand why people support that. I cannot understand at all why people support educating children who don't even live in the US.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 01-17-2012 at 08:14 PM..

Old 01-17-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertylover7 View Post
There are lots of places where residency requirements are ignored. Any school system losing enrollment is most interested in attracting nearby attendees.

Most schools are funded by the head.
Please cite your source. We can fine and arrest homeless citizens for wanting their children to be educated, but we should "ignore" policies for Mexican children who don't even live here?

As for the funding, the "head count" is still paid by taxpayers, which these children's parents are not.

Quote:
A homeless mother has been arrested for sending her child to a public school in an area where they didn't live.

Tanya McDowell is being charged with first-degree larceny for stealing $15,686 in education funds from the Norwalk, Conn. school district, the Stamford Advocate reports.
Tanya McDowell, Homeless Woman, Arrested For Sending Son To School Using Babysitter's Address

Old 01-17-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertylover7 View Post
They may well reside in the district. And the district may not care. Same result.
Unless Mexico became a part of the U.S. overnight, these children do not reside in the district. No, it is not the same result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration