Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 05:13 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,810,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
This particular couple has been together for 14 years, and attempted to do things correctly before getting married. Especially using their example as an attempt to gain U.S. citizen fraudulently for him as quick as possible is incorrect. Let's do some math:

14 years + 10 year ban + 3 years Legal Permanent Residency married to a U.S. citizen = 27 years (minimum) before being eligible to naturalize...

The child they had eight years after meeting will be at least 19 years old when her dad is able to first apply for U.S. citizenship...

That certainly is a fast-track, all kinds of patient illegal aliens will line up for that...
They did not make any attempt to do things the right way. 15 years ago, he could have gone home, waited for the fiance visa, or they could have both gone there and waited for his papers, but they were stupid to wait until after he was deported -- and it takes a lot to be deported as very few illegals are ever deported.

I suspect he was committing at the very least felony document fraud. Probably some other serious crimes.

At any rate, the woman speaks better Spanish than she does English, she's rather illiterate in English. She should do just fine in her husband's country as she's not having to lose any career or anything of her own. She wasn't contributing anything financially -- apparently the only job supporting that family was criminally obtained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 06:13 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,856,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
They did not make any attempt to do things the right way. 15 years ago, he could have gone home, waited for the fiance visa, or they could have both gone there and waited for his papers, but they were stupid to wait until after he was deported -- and it takes a lot to be deported as very few illegals are ever deported.

I suspect he was committing at the very least felony document fraud. Probably some other serious crimes.

At any rate, the woman speaks better Spanish than she does English, she's rather illiterate in English. She should do just fine in her husband's country as she's not having to lose any career or anything of her own. She wasn't contributing anything financially -- apparently the only job supporting that family was criminally obtained.
It's obvious that you are confusing this with some other case, inventing additions as you see fit. He's had no criminal convictions. The fiance(e) visa was even approved, but would have required a waiver (that they and the lawyer were unaware of).

It helps to at least read a little bit about them...

Old 04-10-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
But their mother is a U.S. citizen (and is not able to hold Mexican citizenship without naturalizing there). I thought you said before that children should have the citizenship of the mother. Why does the abilities that any other qualifying citizen has get held from this family because one parent was an illegal alien?

You did say yourself that he would no longer would be considered an illegal alien, he has been repatriated to Mexico. Earlier I referenced that if he serves out his ten-year ban, can this family come back to the United States? When can he satisfy your judgement against him?

There is a woman I know of in almost the exact situation. She crosses on the weekday mornings for work in El Paso, bringing her U.S. citizen children to attend school in the United States. Her husband (father of all of the children) is also serving out a ten-year ban (they are probably about half-way through it at this point), it was later re-entries (I don't know if he was deported) that put the ban against him too.

It is an eventuality that they will return to the United States. You can't dismiss all of these children's claim to U.S. citizenship through their mothers, and being born in the United States. Just a factor of drawing benefits (to which the mother and children can immediately qualify for) should have no bearing on why that you think U.S. citizens have no right to live in the United States.

Happy Easter, and I mean that without rabbit, eggs, chicks, or chocolates...

EDIT: It is interesting to look at their background:

So, 10 years ago (and before they had any children), on the advice of an attorney, they tried to do things the correct way...

Wow...
And this couple you know is still breaking the laws of the USA. Typical.

If they do not reside in a school district, they are cheating by registering their children in a school -- unless they are paying tuition which is almost never the case.

Why not enroll the kids in a school where they reside? US citizens can live in the USA or where ever else they can legally reside and as we all know, Mexico has clarified it's immigration laws to allow spouses of it's citizens to reside there. Nothing wrong with that but it is wrong to lie on your children's school registration forms that you are a resident of that district.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
It's obvious that you are confusing this with some other case, inventing additions as you see fit. He's had no criminal convictions. The fiance(e) visa was even approved, but would have required a waiver (that they and the lawyer were unaware of).

It helps to at least read a little bit about them...
Then why was he deported? We all know that under Obama, only serious criminal illegals are being deported. Are you claiming that ICE is breaking laws? That legal immigrants are being deported?

Old 04-10-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And this couple you know is still breaking the laws of the USA. Typical.

If they do not reside in a school district, they are cheating by registering their children in a school -- unless they are paying tuition which is almost never the case.

Why not enroll the kids in a school where they reside? US citizens can live in the USA or where ever else they can legally reside and as we all know, Mexico has clarified it's immigration laws to allow spouses of it's citizens to reside there. Nothing wrong with that but it is wrong to lie on your children's school registration forms that you are a resident of that district.
Always so quick to jump to assumptions...

Her sister is in a shared residence, with just enough visits to comply with the legal aspects...

Why are you complaining about U.S. citizens keeping their families together?...

Old 04-11-2012, 02:43 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,180,591 times
Quote:
All of the children in this instance are U.S. citizens. You objected to the children receiving "all kinds of welfare benefits" if they either remained here or returned here later. It wasn't simply your statement that they should be with both parents, it was that they shouldn't be here:

Does having a Mexican father somehow taint these kids from qualifying for welfare? A primary reason (instead of family unity) for the family to be with the father in Mexico? If you have stated that is your "bottom line" I can't move the goalpost for you.

Before entering into the sacrament of marriage (and years before having children), they, with improper legal council, tried to start through the legal immigration process. This family should be praised for their devotion to one another. They sound like hard-working, church-going people.
Their attempt at legalization failed, yet they still chose to get married, and have children, knowing he was here illegally, and could be deported at any time. He's entered the country illegally twice, and marriage doesn't change that.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:08 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,180,591 times
Quote:
Don't you think we were driven by the same frustration? I'm contrasting the examples I know of, to counter claims that spouses (whether legal or illegal immigrants) are purely driven to get U.S. citizenship. Sure, I've heard of a few cases that I know are motivated by fraud, but the majority are just trying to be together.

This case in particular is an example of those good intentions, any motivation of a quick grab at citizenship would have been evident much earlier...

I don't think the best interests of the United States are served to make a Marine chose between his country or his spouse. There might be that critical occasion where he is needed, and is not there. These are all case where couples are trying to do things the right way, and making a simple mistake or not having the support that should be there for them.
They weren't trying to do things the right way, or they wouldn't have entered the country illegally to begin with. When they do that they're putting a target on themselves for deportation. Maybe it was a hasssle, and extremely frustrating for you and your wife, but isn't it nice to know you don't have to live your lives wondering when ICE is going to show up? If people would enter the country legally, and not overstay their visas, they'd be ok. They can marry, and apply for legal residency, but once they've come illegally, or overstayed their visa, nothing can change that.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:36 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,795,058 times
Quote:
Wholly wrong. The requirement to join the U.S. military is that you must at least be a Legal Permanent Resident. I've had an entire career within two branches of the military.

The "simple mistake" I alluded to before was that the Marine and his wife were all lined up for immigrating legally. He was in the United States with his unit, getting ready to deploy. She was in Mexico, and being frustrated at the length of time, decided to misrepresent herself going through a Port of Entry (she did not tell him prior to the attempt).

She was young, and not thinking clearly, now she has a lifetime ban from the United States. The Marine had to chose between his country (and service to that country) or his wife. I do not know which one that he selected.
I'm aware of the fact that illegals cannot join the military. Seeing as how illegals break the law every day and the government is fully aware of it which, IMO, makes the government just as guilty, I wouldn't mind the government changing the law to accommodate the illegals to serve the country they want citizenship and give them fast track citizenship. After all the government seems very willing to cater to illegals. I think enough Americans have been wounded, disabled and died fighting to protect the US and its rights - and that would also include protecting illegals. Why not have illegals give something back for a change???

If he was already a Marine - he did not have a choice between country and wife. If he was going to make a choice it would mean him going AWOL and living in Mexico, which I guess wasn't very appealling to him. Not thinking clearly?? She was plain stupid. Maybe he was "in love" with her, but she was probably "more in love" with the idea that citizenship would be forthcoming being married to an American.

Last edited by softblueyz; 04-11-2012 at 06:48 AM..

Old 04-11-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
...Not thinking clearly?? She was plain stupid. Maybe he was "in love" with her, but she was probably "more in love" with the idea that citizenship would be forthcoming being married to an American.
From my perspective, I often see that the couple wants to be with each other, there isn't any concept of it being for citizenship (the only further benefit of naturalizing over legal residency is voting, unless you want to serve on a jury). That isn't an immediate gain either. My wife cried for joy when she gained legal residency, even though she was already on a K-3 visa that allowed us to cross the border and her to live here (to be fair, there was also an aspect that she was finally able to work in the United States as well).

But she isn't as motivated to naturalize. She's qualified on time for more than a year. In her mind, it doesn't change anything (despite that it requires our younger children to go through adding biometric data at age 14; they would be able to apply to derive U.S. citizenship from her once she naturalizes).

Imagine that, she just wants enough status to live (and work) here, it matters who I am (her husband), but not what I am (a U.S. citizen)...

Old 04-11-2012, 01:25 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,339,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
I'm aware of the fact that illegals cannot join the military. Seeing as how illegals break the law every day and the government is fully aware of it which, IMO, makes the government just as guilty, I wouldn't mind the government changing the law to accommodate the illegals to serve the country they want citizenship and give them fast track citizenship. After all the government seems very willing to cater to illegals. I think enough Americans have been wounded, disabled and died fighting to protect the US and its rights - and that would also include protecting illegals. Why not have illegals give something back for a change???

If he was already a Marine - he did not have a choice between country and wife. If he was going to make a choice it would mean him going AWOL and living in Mexico, which I guess wasn't very appealling to him. Not thinking clearly?? She was plain stupid. Maybe he was "in love" with her, but she was probably "more in love" with the idea that citizenship would be forthcoming being married to an American.
I agree with most of what you said except for the part where illegal aliens should be able to join our military to gain citizenship. For one thing for many of them their loyalties are to their homeland. Another thing is that there are Americans waiting in line to join our military. Why should illegals be given spots above Americans? There is no shortage of American enlistees. Citizenship via military service shouldn't be granted as a bargaining chip for those who have broken our immigration laws in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration