Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 09:09 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,917,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
So what's your point?

US immigration law is incredibly unforgiving compared to criminal law. If "Alberto" was a US citizen, a driving without a license would be a slap on the wrist. Maybe a fine, maybe community service. But for someone here illegally - it's probably jail time, then a transfer into ICE custody for what is essentially a double sentence while awaiting the immigration hearing, then boom. Deportation. Doesn't matter if Alberto was the second incarnation of Jesus - buh bye.

No such thing as "rehabilitation" or "therapeutic jurisprudence" when it comes to noncitizens. If people come here illegally with that attitude of complacency/"it's not a big deal" well they'll be getting a one-way ticket back to TJ or Juarez sooner or later. I feel like most people here illegally aren't that naive though.
US immigration law needs to be tougher yet. ANYBODY caught here illegally needs to be deported ASAP. If is "breaks up a family", too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 05:56 PM

50,357 posts, read 47,109,092 times
What an idiot. Why was he driving? Idiot. No sympathy here.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:09 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,741,434 times
Quote:
So what's your point?

US immigration law is incredibly unforgiving compared to criminal law. If "Alberto" was a US citizen, a driving without a license would be a slap on the wrist. Maybe a fine, maybe community service. But for someone here illegally - it's probably jail time, then a transfer into ICE custody for what is essentially a double sentence while awaiting the immigration hearing, then boom. Deportation. Doesn't matter if Alberto was the second incarnation of Jesus - buh bye.

No such thing as "rehabilitation" or "therapeutic jurisprudence" when it comes to noncitizens. If people come here illegally with that attitude of complacency/"it's not a big deal" well they'll be getting a one-way ticket back to TJ or Juarez sooner or later. I feel like most people here illegally aren't that naive though.
Deportation could be viewed as a form of "rehabilitiation" or "therapeutic jurisprudence". Deporation is certainly a suitable consequence for being found to be here illegally. Deporting illegals as they make their presense known may be preferable to doing door-to-door searches.

When an illegal is caught breaking other laws, it certainly is a good time to deport the illegal. It doesn't matter if the other laws they are breaking include shoplifting, loitering, driving without a license, drunk driving, wife beating, identity theft --- once they make their illegal presence known, there is no reason to leave them here.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:59 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,226,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
Incredibly unforgiving? So deportation is a like the worst that can happen.

I would venture to say that since he has had his license suspended he probably had more than one encounter with the local PD. I mean how many times should he simply be given a slap on the wrist? Maybe he has already done community service due to priors.

Now being transferred to ICE is a "double sentence"? So a day or 2 in the local jail (which is actually ICE custody), transferred to an ICE facility with maybe as much as a week in ICE custody is a double sentence?

That's right, there is no second chance if you screw up as a non-citizen. Look at that, you did understand my point after all.
1. We don't know that he even had a license. He probably couldn't get one being an illegal.

2. I'm not sure if you are aware of the immigration court system in the US but backlogs for cases are months behind. People can sit in ICE detention centers for months at a time waiting for their hearing, and if they're here illegally how high do you think their chances are of getting out on bond?

3. I understood your post but still not understanding what you are trying to assert. The immigration system, when it comes to criminal offenders, actually does work quite well contrary to popular belief. If you are here without papers, it's a zero tolerance world for you. If you have a green card, it's basically you get 1 screw up, but any more and you're out of here.

The law just doesn't work as well for the people who come here and don't commit crimes and are otherwise able to evade the law. ETA: the Constitutional right to privacy does extend to illegals (take it as you will). That's one reason why the AZ immigration bill was a bust. Another reason is that a state can't set immigration policy because immigration is a federal issue. Another reason is that a state can push its problems onto other states.

Last edited by Bluefox; 06-09-2012 at 02:32 AM..

Old 06-09-2012, 02:10 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,226,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Deportation could be viewed as a form of "rehabilitiation" or "therapeutic jurisprudence". Deporation is certainly a suitable consequence for being found to be here illegally. Deporting illegals as they make their presense known may be preferable to doing door-to-door searches.
Deportation is not rehabilitation. People who get deported to Mexico (or less frequently Canada) are literally driven across the border and dropped off. If they are from a country further away, then ICE flies them there and they are left at the airport. Note I don't have an opinion about this either way - it is what it is. We as a nation couldn't care less whether any one individual who is a noncitizen is able to rehabilitate themselves or otherwise become a better person. And why should we care? We have enough murderers, drug addicts, child molesters, and other abhorrent creatures who are US CITIZENS. We don't have the time nor resources to try to help people who are citizens of other countries.

Quote:
When an illegal is caught breaking other laws, it certainly is a good time to deport the illegal. It doesn't matter if the other laws they are breaking include shoplifting, loitering, driving without a license, drunk driving, wife beating, identity theft --- once they make their illegal presence known, there is no reason to leave them here.
I agree completely - but what I'm saying is that illegals who are also criminals actually do tend to get deported the majority of the time. It's the sneaky ones who evade the law that don't get deported.

Everyone who is arrested generally willl generally be checked for their immigration status. If there is a hit, then the police department will notify ICE. After the criminal has either (1) served their sentence, or (2) released on probation, ICE is notified and before the criminal can even step outside, they are in ICE custody. And yes, they can wait MONTHS for their deportation hearing, depending on the backlog of the immigration court in their jurisdiction. If you're here illegally and you do get caught committing a crime, you can pretty much kiss America goodbye after doing a double sentence. I personally approve of it because it at the very least deters illegals from committing crimes.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:47 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,327,939 times
Quote:
1. We don't know that he even had a license. He probably couldn't get one being an illegal.

2. I'm not sure if you are aware of the immigration court system in the US but backlogs for cases are months behind. People can sit in ICE detention centers for months at a time waiting for their hearing, and if they're here illegally how high do you think their chances are of getting out on bond?

3. I understood your post but still not understanding what you are trying to assert. The immigration system, when it comes to criminal offenders, actually does work quite well contrary to popular belief. If you are here without papers, it's a zero tolerance world for you. If you have a green card, it's basically you get 1 screw up, but any more and you're out of here.

The law just doesn't work as well for the people who come here and don't commit crimes and are otherwise able to evade the law. ETA: the Constitutional right to privacy does extend to illegals (take it as you will). That's one reason why the AZ immigration bill was a bust. Another reason is that a state can't set immigration policy because immigration is a federal issue. Another reason is that a state can push its problems onto other states.
We'll just have to wait and see how the Supreme Court rules on the Arizona law this month, won't we? A state does and should have the right to protect themselves from an illegal invasion since the feds aren't doing it.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:49 AM

2,475 posts, read 2,077,497 times
Quote:

1. We do know he had a license, the article states it was suspended.
2. I guess you don't know about waivers.
3. I actually agree.
The AZ law is a bust? I don't recall SCOTUS making its ruling yet. Illegals are very limited in their right to privacy, once they are determined to be illegal they lose what little of it they may have possessed. Yes, the State can set policy as long as it is within the federal guidelines, how do you think AZ got E-Verify required by employers through? Arizona immigration law ruling: You can't rely on E-Verify - Los Angeles Times

Old 06-09-2012, 09:53 AM

2,475 posts, read 2,077,497 times
Quote:
I agree completely - but what I'm saying is that illegals who are also criminals actually do tend to get deported the majority of the time. It's the sneaky ones who evade the law that don't get deported.
Unless they are in sanctuary cities, Cook County comes to mind with Mrs. Preckwinkle. Then it would be Progressives with their ideology placed above all else, even the safety of the rest of the citizenry of the US.

Preckwinkle won't back down on illegal immigrant custody cases - Chicago Tribune

Old 06-09-2012, 10:24 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,741,434 times
Quote:
Deportation is not rehabilitation. People who get deported to Mexico (or less frequently Canada) are literally driven across the border and dropped off. If they are from a country further away, then ICE flies them there and they are left at the airport. Note I don't have an opinion about this either way - it is what it is. We as a nation couldn't care less whether any one individual who is a noncitizen is able to rehabilitate themselves or otherwise become a better person. And why should we care? We have enough murderers, drug addicts, child molesters, and other abhorrent creatures who are US CITIZENS. We don't have the time nor resources to try to help people who are citizens of other countries.

Everyone who is arrested generally willl generally be checked for their immigration status. If there is a hit, then the police department will notify ICE. After the criminal has either (1) served their sentence, or (2) released on probation, ICE is notified and before the criminal can even step outside, they are in ICE custody. And yes, they can wait MONTHS for their deportation hearing, depending on the backlog of the immigration court in their jurisdiction. If you're here illegally and you do get caught committing a crime, you can pretty much kiss America goodbye after doing a double sentence. I personally approve of it because it at the very least deters illegals from committing crimes.
They can be rehabilitated by their own country however. It really isn't our problem if they are or are not. Mexico actually has a program for it's returning farmers. They are provided some livestock and a means to get started back up.

An illegal guy in my neighborhood got into a bar fight and the bar owners called the police and border patrol on him (even though it's a bar that caters to illegals) and he was deported. He went back to where he was from and got in on this program and he has told people that he prefers being a rancher in his own country, working his own farm over being a servant or hired hand in the USA where he will never own a farm.

I'm more in favor of getting illegals back home quickly to their families and way of life -- but I know many will just come right back if deported quickly, they think it's all a big joke. In fact it can give them time to visit friends and families, take a vacation, reconnect with those back home including children they haven't seen in years but coming back is too easy.

If simply returning them worked then most of us would want that but it hasn't worked so deporting them 1000 miles from where they came in might be the better solution.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:29 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,458,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
We'll just have to wait and see how the Supreme Court rules on the Arizona law this month, won't we? A state does and should have the right to protect themselves from an illegal invasion since the feds aren't doing it.
I completely agree with you. And in no way the State should be punished because they care, should they?

And because the State does give a damn about it, they are the ones punished, something don't make sense here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration